Should command go back to the 2021-2023 standard?

Started by TecnoGenius, August 17, 2024, 05:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should command go back to the 2021-2023 standard for reviews / overturns?

Yes - last year's decisions were better for fans, the league, and the product
5 (55.6%)
No - 2024 decisions are better for fans, the league, and the product
1 (11.1%)
Other
3 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: August 21, 2024, 05:38:02 AM

Pete

I thought Duane Ford had a good comment, the game isn't played in slow motion, it shouldn't be officiated that way. Don't start trying to get it exact, cause where does it stop. Every play you could call a holding penalty, or a jostle could cause a interference call.
I hate the nhl call where a goal is reversed cause 2 minutes prior a players back skate was an inch over the line, it wasnt why they introduced video reviews and its the same in the cfl.
It results in a lot of wasted time on a call taking away from discussions on a lot of great plays that were made in the game.
(The only real positive is that it makes the rider fan nuts)

pdirks67

When they first showed the replay, you can clearly see the foot out of bounds, immediately after TSN freeze framed the wrong frame. I saw this the first time through, and we rewound the game on the cable box and confirmed immediately. All four of us watching agreed that it should have been an easy-out call. This took about 5 seconds to rewind on the Shaw cable box. I snapped a shot of the TV with my phone, but I think others have already posted similar photos.

I think the only reason there's any fan dispute is due to the incorrect frame being frozen by TSN.

Do we actually know that a standard has changed? I wonder if the personnel have simply changed?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Horseman on August 18, 2024, 06:21:34 PMFake pictures. LOL he was in bounds as per TV replay.

Are you calling the pictures I provided "fake"?  I can assure you they are not in the slightest.

I have absolutely no reason, as a WPG fan, to help SSK.  In fact, I have every reason to try to help MTL win, because any SSK loss helps WPG in the standings.  And I hate the Greenies.  So what's my motive?

Ya, some rando on twitter with bad phone pics might have a reason to photoshop.  Me, not so much.

I think I've provided enough screengrabs over the years here to earn a bit of rep/cred.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on August 18, 2024, 07:16:14 PMI thought Duane Ford had a good comment, the game isn't played in slow motion, it shouldn't be officiated that way. Don't start trying to get it exact, cause where does it stop.

That's all well and good, but that's the direct opposite to what command has done from 2018-2023.  It's a complete 180 without proper explanations and press releases to the fans.  Oh, there's that transparency thing again.

Ford and you have a great point and it's worth arguing.  Lucky for you that's precisely what command is doing right now!  We're just not used to it yet (if this is the way it has to be).

P.S. Ford has held that position forever... he's been saying it for many years from the booth.  It's only now he's finally gotten his way.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: pdirks67 on August 18, 2024, 08:42:05 PMDo we actually know that a standard has changed? I wonder if the personnel have simply changed?

If we assume all the leaks and chatter by the TSN booth and panel guys/gals is correct, then yes, the standard has totally changed.  Almost every game since the MTL "no immediate recovery" mess the talking heads have been telling us about the "new command" directives.

But I haven't seen an official press release by the CFL or statement to the fans.  I would love to see the official memo or guidelines!

It seems clear from the last 2 weeks of reviews that they are 100% calling plays to a new standard that does not include freezeframes.  They also will not second guess a called DPI.  Hopefully they will if it's horrifically egregious like the DB never coming within a yard of the R... but they haven't yet!
Never go full Rider!

pdirks67

From 3DownNation
https://3downnation.com/2024/08/22/cfl-command-centre-refocuses-on-clear-and-obvious-principle-in-decision-making-process/

CFL command centre refocuses on 'clear and obvious principle' in decision-making process

The Canadian Football League has issued new guidelines for its command centre for the second half of the 2024 season, focusing on what they are calling the "clear and obvious principle."

In order to overturn calls on the field, replay officials must have a clear, unobstructed view of the action in question, and the correct outcome must be obvious when compared to an established standard created by the rules committee and the CFL officiating department.

In order to improve performance and consistency, the league has enacted several changes in consultation with team presidents, general managers, and head coaches. In addition to a greater emphasis on the clear and obvious principle, the command centre will only intervene when an obvious error has been made and a correction can be made without significant delay.

In addition, the roster of replay officials has been greatly reduced, with enhanced evaluations coming into effect to improve accountability and learning.

The command centre has been the subject of a number of controversial calls throughout the 2024 season. In Week 9, an obvious fumble by Ticats' fullback Jame Tuck was not awarded to the Montreal Alouettes, despite what appeared to be a clear recovery. In Week 10, an overtime clash between Ottawa and Saskatchewan had to be restarted after the final whistle when a roughing the passer penalty was retroactively awarded against the Riders, who were already celebrating a victory.

Efforts were made to quietly change the focus of replay officials in Week 11 but debate still raged after Alouettes' quarterback Davis Alexander was ruled in bounds on a game-winning touchdown run against Saskatchewan, despite video evidence suggesting he stepped out.

The CFL implemented video review in 2006, giving coaches two challenges per game. On-field officials initially conducted the reviews on the sideline, though this practice was discontinued in 2009 following the introduction of a central command centre headquartered at the league office in Toronto. Challenges were limited to one per coach in 2017, with a second added if successful on the first beginning in 2019.

According to the league, the command centre will undergo a comprehensive review as part of the standard offseason agenda.

The Zipp

Quote from: pdirks67 on August 22, 2024, 10:06:15 PMFrom 3DownNation
https://3downnation.com/2024/08/22/cfl-command-centre-refocuses-on-clear-and-obvious-principle-in-decision-making-process/

CFL command centre refocuses on 'clear and obvious principle' in decision-making process

The Canadian Football League has issued new guidelines for its command centre for the second half of the 2024 season, focusing on what they are calling the "clear and obvious principle."

In order to overturn calls on the field, replay officials must have a clear, unobstructed view of the action in question, and the correct outcome must be obvious when compared to an established standard created by the rules committee and the CFL officiating department.

In order to improve performance and consistency, the league has enacted several changes in consultation with team presidents, general managers, and head coaches. In addition to a greater emphasis on the clear and obvious principle, the command centre will only intervene when an obvious error has been made and a correction can be made without significant delay.

In addition, the roster of replay officials has been greatly reduced, with enhanced evaluations coming into effect to improve accountability and learning.

The command centre has been the subject of a number of controversial calls throughout the 2024 season. In Week 9, an obvious fumble by Ticats' fullback Jame Tuck was not awarded to the Montreal Alouettes, despite what appeared to be a clear recovery. In Week 10, an overtime clash between Ottawa and Saskatchewan had to be restarted after the final whistle when a roughing the passer penalty was retroactively awarded against the Riders, who were already celebrating a victory.

Efforts were made to quietly change the focus of replay officials in Week 11 but debate still raged after Alouettes' quarterback Davis Alexander was ruled in bounds on a game-winning touchdown run against Saskatchewan, despite video evidence suggesting he stepped out.

The CFL implemented video review in 2006, giving coaches two challenges per game. On-field officials initially conducted the reviews on the sideline, though this practice was discontinued in 2009 following the introduction of a central command centre headquartered at the league office in Toronto. Challenges were limited to one per coach in 2017, with a second added if successful on the first beginning in 2019.

According to the league, the command centre will undergo a comprehensive review as part of the standard offseason agenda.

Why hasn't the cfl posted this clarification on their twitter account?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on August 22, 2024, 10:53:14 PMWhy hasn't the cfl posted this clarification on their twitter account?

Because there's zero transparency.  Secret memos from CFL to teams every week with secret changes to standards.  Us plebes only get the leaked out dregs, if we're lucky, passed through 5 sources in a perverted game of Telephone.

Yay CFL!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: pdirks67 on August 22, 2024, 10:06:15 PMEfforts were made to quietly change the focus of replay officials in Week 11 but debate still raged after Alouettes' quarterback Davis Alexander was ruled in bounds on a game-winning touchdown run against Saskatchewan, despite video evidence suggesting he stepped out.

"suggesting"!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P

Ya, see my screen grabs, command!

Just admit the new standard vis a vis freezeframe!!  Just come out and say it!
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

"In addition, the roster of replay officials has been greatly reduced, with enhanced evaluations coming into effect to improve accountability and learning."

I like having fewer cooks in the kitchen. Would love to see the "report cards".
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Big Daddy

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 22, 2024, 11:21:46 PM"suggesting"!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P

Ya, see my screen grabs, command!

Just admit the new standard vis a vis freezeframe!!  Just come out and say it!

So did he actually step out Tecno?  I think I posted earlier (or meant to) that the video on tv showed he was in bounds, and the other angle that seemed to show out of bounds could have been lifting his foot after and so not technically out of bounds as it was in the air.

With your video prowess (serious comment, not being a smart-@**), could you see he was actually out?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Waffler on August 23, 2024, 12:31:19 AMI like having fewer cooks in the kitchen. Would love to see the "report cards".

They need to go back to having ONE (1) cook in the kitchen, like it always was before.  I don't know when they started rotating chief review official, but they need to stop it.  It's dumb.  The way of thinking needs to be the same every single week.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Big Daddy on August 23, 2024, 01:35:03 AMSo did he actually step out Tecno?  I think I posted earlier (or meant to) that the video on tv showed he was in bounds, and the other angle that seemed to show out of bounds could have been lifting his foot after and so not technically out of bounds as it was in the air.

With your video prowess (serious comment, not being a smart-@**), could you see he was actually out?

Yes 100%, go read that game's GDT, maybe the last 3-4 pages.  See my pictures.

I don't care about the shots showing him in-bounds, they aren't catching the exact tenth of a second he was out.  There is no "foot was up" issue as every shot of him OOB shoes his foot scrunched as he launches off his toes.
Never go full Rider!

DM83

They just have to get guys who know the rules.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on August 23, 2024, 05:02:00 AMThey just have to get guys who know the rules.

Sounds so simple, eh?!   :D  :D  :D

I don't care if the refs botch a few, as long as it's not malicious/rigged... but I really want a command that can get things right.  I really liked 2023 command...
Never go full Rider!