Should command go back to the 2021-2023 standard?

Started by TecnoGenius, August 17, 2024, 05:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should command go back to the 2021-2023 standard for reviews / overturns?

Yes - last year's decisions were better for fans, the league, and the product
5 (55.6%)
No - 2024 decisions are better for fans, the league, and the product
1 (11.1%)
Other
3 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: August 21, 2024, 05:38:02 AM

TecnoGenius

After the Alexander sideline-tiptoe TD @SSK, there's going to be more controversy league-wide.  I propose they instantly ditch all the new standards and knee-jerk reactions/changes and revert to the 2023 standards.  They weren't great, but they were miles better than the garbage all teams have had to face the last few weeks (WPG included).

And it can be done overnight because none of these standards are in the rulebook.  They are all being handled with "guidance" from the league.  So "guide" them back to 2023.

But you're invited to argue if you feel otherwise!  Is there anything good about the "new command" this season?  Air your beef.

Also, discuss other possible solutions and/or what exactly are the root causes of the fan disdain.

For reference, see the MTL@SSK GDT where this topic starts (approx):
http://forums.bluebombers.com/index.php?topic=55923.msg1634523#msg1634523
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

I will add that command's new standard will probably "up" the O: one of the stated goals of Ambrosie.

Devil's advocate:

Remember that catch in the BC game where our guy (Pokey?) made a circus catch and on replay it clearly hit the turf and was incomplete?  But it was ruled complete.  Under the new standard command probably upholds that catch.  (It wasn't challenged, so we will never know.)

So fans get to enjoy more circus catches and more O.  It always would suck when command would take away some crazy sick Lawler or Burnham catch because of one little mistake during the catch/fall process.  But we accepted it because rules are rules.

Under this new standard command would likely give Bailey his 2019 GC TD catch...

So do we want "entertainment", or "correct"?  (I know my choice, but the other may be valid also.)
Never go full Rider!

ichabod_crane

The controversy started with the Bombers vs Sask game a month+ ago. TWO OBVIOUS PHANTOM Calls not reversed....BUSH LEAGUE! Had a MAJOR IMPACT on the final outcome. The referees involved with that fiasco should all be canned immediately. Also who hired them was WAY OFF BASE in their recruitment talents. GM's and Scouts of teams would be canned eventually with such brutal recruitment.

I can forgive one or two gaffes, but it seems this nonsense keeps repeating and I'm not sure if it is the same refs on the field or in the command centre lousing things up. Don't be BUSH LEAGUE! ;)

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ichabod_crane on August 17, 2024, 07:17:48 AMThe controversy started with the Bombers vs Sask game a month+ ago. TWO OBVIOUS PHANTOM Calls not reversed....BUSH LEAGUE!
[...]
I can forgive one or two gaffes, but it seems this nonsense keeps repeating and I'm not sure if it is the same refs on the field or in the command centre lousing things up. Don't be BUSH LEAGUE! ;)

You're missing the point.  These aren't mistakes by command per se, they are clearly not overturning subjective calls because they have decided slowmo/freezeframe cannot be used.

They are working to a whole new standard and either everyone is forced to get used to it, or we need to raise a big stink on all forums so Ambrosie can see how mad the fans are and reverse course.

I think your gist is letting clearly wrong calls stand makes things appear more BUSH LEAGUE.  I agree.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Great comment from Bioben on Riderfans:

"The last drunk command centre decision did not lose us the game. What it did though was prove that the command centre has not improved the games for fans. It is disruptive inconsistent and makes the game less exciting to watch. It becomes the main topic of conversation during and after the games. The game of football itself becomes secondary."

Nailed it.  The CFL chatter will blow up this week not because of great play or players, but because of obviously incorrect calls.  That diminishes our league.

We're spending so much time trying to figure out command's mindset instead of admiring great plays.  And before you say it's pointless, you better believe MOS/WFC are studying everything we are and more, because they are the ones that have to chuck those challenge flags that may make or break a game.
Never go full Rider!

TBURGESS

The role of the CC is to fix obvious mistakes. 

Last night the ref on the field in real time thought the foot was in. The CC took a quick look & agreed. They also overturned an obvious incomplete pass that would have been a turn over. 

Did the calls cost the Riders the win? Not in my opinion. Their kicker did that pretty much all by himself.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Blue In BC

It appeared that Alexander's foot was in. Saw a small amount of green between his foot and the sideline. Certainly nothing conclusive enough to over turn the call on field.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

peg_city

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 17, 2024, 01:11:41 PMIt appeared that Alexander's foot was in. Saw a small amount of green between his foot and the sideline. Certainly nothing conclusive enough to over turn the call on field.

It was out. There are picture on twitter.

The command centre has been really bad this year. You can't rely on them to get the call right at all.

TBURGESS

How long are folks willing to wait to 'get it right'? 1 Minute, 5 Minutes, 10 Minutes? 

Techno's screen cuts look right, but how long did it take him? 1 Minute, 5 Minutes, 10 Minutes? 
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Jesse

I think pretending there was ever a time of consistency is laughable.

People were unsatisfied with the consistency, so it changed. So it will again.
My wife is amazing!

Pete

no matter what the command center does if it doesn't favor you team the fans will have a problem with it (just pay a visit to the rider forum, for example the obvious incomplete pass that was initially ruled an interception rider fans were calling it a conspiracy even with the video proof)
I have to feel for the officials.  they are told if there's any possibility of doubt to let the play go on and it can be corrected afterwards. However the command center is told to not overturn any calls unless its an obvious mistake. So if the official thinks it's a fumble and is 90% sure from his angle 5 feet away, he lets it play through and the cc doesn't overturn it cause from the video feeds it may not be obvious, a bad call stands.
  To me we have to let the officials make the calls and each team has to live with it. If an obvious miscall is made then it should be overturned and the ball placed where the infraction occured or awarded to the correct team. Eliminate challenges all together because that is where the slow motion zoom in  debates really happen.

GOLDMEMBER

Last year seemed to be a much lower talking point but this year....not so much. :D
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

The Zipp

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on August 17, 2024, 09:35:28 PMLast year seemed to be a much lower talking point but this year....not so much. :D

We are in a bad run right now and hopefully it's a clean game on Sunday.

Jesse

Quote from: peg_city on August 17, 2024, 01:48:46 PMIt was out. There are picture on twitter.

The command centre has been really bad this year. You can't rely on them to get the call right at all.

If you just watch the video and freeze it the moment he made the step on the line, he was in.

Later, people broke it down and saw that as he pushed off from that step, his foot rotated and that's the point where it looks like he could have slid out (still subject to the camera angle debate).

But for the command centre to make the call in the time they have, it was not even controversial, imo.
My wife is amazing!