Als at Riders GDT Fri 8pm CT

Started by gobombersgo, August 15, 2024, 08:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on August 17, 2024, 05:54:26 AMThe one replay TSN showed his foot was clearly in , you could see green between his foot and the sideline, not much to disputed there

Freeze it 3 frames later after they unfreeze it... you'll probably need computer tech to see it.  Shaw/MTS PVRs suck at this type of thing.  Or wait until tomorrow, there will probably be clips and stills galore all over the place.  Check out the SportsCentre clip during the Mace interview: they'll replay SC all night long.
Never go full Rider!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Go_Big_D on August 17, 2024, 04:31:42 AMwhat replay shows that...none from TSN!!

I saw that too, but the shoe WAS IN THE AIR....not the same as touching the white stripe. Look again at the replay. Like a micro second, but it really looks like his shoe was raised at that moment. Even if a millimetre in the air, it's still not touching! Who's got a tape measure hand?! :) We can load all the replays into a 3D simulator and confirm! 😊CRYders got some chintzy calls earlier for them, so it balances all out in the end even if his foot WAS OUT! ;)

bomb squad

My first impression after watching the replay was yes there's a still shot clearly showing a green strip between the shoe and the white line. But then after they release the pause button (or whatever they do) I went hmmm, it looked like it slid sideways, maybe out of bounds. But no further still shots of anything. Call stood, so must have been no clear evidence. Ok let's carryon. Beautiful touchdown run by the way.

Then there's the shot on Sportscenter, what, 20 minutes afterwards that shows the white turfgrass blades moving. OMG, that must mean his foot was out after all. By a millimeter or two, but by golly it was out and the Riders got robbed. (Have a look over there, it's insane, sickening really). That's the level of detail we're after? Millimeters? Lickety split though CC. We don't want to slow the game down you know. But we want it down to the millimeters, or you're going to hear about it. Got it?

And conspiracies? Good grief. Look, he straddled the inside of the OOB's line beautifully. That's what happened. That's what we saw. Let's move on, let the guys do their jobs, and stop the insanity. Just watch the games already. They've been really good. Rant over.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ichabod_crane on August 17, 2024, 06:59:20 AMI saw that too, but the shoe WAS IN THE AIR....not the same as touching the white stripe. Look again at the replay. Like a micro second, but it really looks like his shoe was raised at that moment. Even if a millimetre in the air, it's still not touching! Who's got a tape measure hand?! :) We can load all the replays into a 3D simulator and confirm! 😊CRYders got some chintzy calls earlier for them, so it balances all out in the end even if his foot WAS OUT! ;)

Good point, we must take height position into account.  I will give all the angles further looks with that in mind.

However, it seems clear to me that the motion that caused the twisting of the foot was the process of starting his push off for his next step.  If you try to reproduce what he was doing you'll see what I mean.  It was more a twist/shuffle that put him out, all before the next lift.

EDIT: after getting the screengrabs shown below, it's clear the foot was on the turf because you can see the bend of the foot/shoe from him starting to launch into his next step.  The shoe cannot be bent like that once off the turf.  So "lifted off the turf" is a moot point.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bomb squad on August 17, 2024, 07:11:16 AMThat's what we saw. Let's move on, let the guys do their jobs, and stop the insanity. Just watch the games already. They've been really good. Rant over.

But isn't that easier to say because it wasn't your team?  (Moreso: the hated Riders?!)

Some of these games have been great.  But they were great before the controversial calls late in the 4th.  Would getting the calls "right" have made the game even less exciting?  Wouldn't a sneak + 1st & goal at the 5 have been just as exciting?  How about the Neverending SSK/OTT game that led to the new command guidelines?

As for time: when it's the final 3 mins on a game-deciding call, do we really need command to rush through super fast because we're all impatient?  We're used to sitting there for 3-5 mins as they go to commercial for these things in the past.  Was that really so bad?

I bet (and hope!) the league puts out a statement on this decision to let us know if they decided on "a blade of grass" or on the new "clear in realtime / no freezeframe" guidelines.  That would clear up a lot of this confusion.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Wow, props to Lauther... 35 mins into SC he takes a presser.  That's 100% his choice and 99% of the time a loser of that magnitude will decline to speak.  Lirim didn't do that after his 5-missed-kick game.

And Lauther ate all the blame 100%, even after Trevor said the loss wasn't his fault.

So real respect to Lauther.  Doesn't make up for the mistakes, but it speaks to his character.  Doing that ain't easy.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

For the unbelievers, here are stills from my comp PVR system.  These are every angle TSN provided except for the spidercam, which looks interesting but my PVR screwed up right when they showed it at the 11:00pm cutoff.  I will get those stills once the 2am showing finishes recording.

All stills are unedited.  I screengrabbed, cropped and zoomed and smoothed.  That's it.  Some are highly pixelated/artifacted because of extreme zooming.

I did cherry pick the most egregious shots that prove he was on the rail.  Shots showing him in-bounds are useless (i.e. partially pregnant).

The last one makes a in-bounds call look plausible, however that's because of the timing of the shot has the worst of the rail-touching in-between frames.  There's a bit of luck involved on when the camera takes its 1/30th/sec shot.

I posit that any "dark"/"green" you see beside/under the shoe is shadow, not turf.
Never go full Rider!

bomb squad

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 17, 2024, 07:25:16 AMBut isn't that easier to say because it wasn't your team?  (Moreso: the hated Riders?!)

Some of these games have been great.  But they were great before the controversial calls late in the 4th.  Would getting the calls "right" have made the game even less exciting?  Wouldn't a sneak + 1st & goal at the 5 have been just as exciting?  How about the Neverending SSK/OTT game that led to the new command guidelines?

As for time: when it's the final 3 mins on a game-deciding call, do we really need command to rush through super fast because we're all impatient?  We're used to sitting there for 3-5 mins as they go to commercial for these things in the past.  Was that really so bad?

I bet (and hope!) the league puts out a statement on this decision to let us know if they decided on "a blade of grass" or on the new "clear in realtime / no freezeframe" guidelines.  That would clear up a lot of this confusion.

QuoteBut isn't that easier to say because it wasn't your team?  (Moreso: the hated Riders?!)

No. It has absolutely nothing to do with it. Take my word for it. Yes, I'm a huge Bomber fan, but I'm also a huge fan of the CFL. I want rules and procedures that are what's best for the games and the league, even if that goes against the Bombers sometimes. Sure, I might be angry for a bit, but I will accept it in that vein. I let it go. I'm not bragging. There's a lot of fans who think that way as well. Rider fans? Well..... ;)

QuoteWas that really so bad?

I would be fine with it, but I just don't think it's necessary. Take a look at what you have, make a decision. If nothing jumps out at you. Stick with the call. Keep it simple. A lot of other people don't like the delays. We hear from them a lot. And they're going to hear from people anyway, no matter what they do.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 17, 2024, 05:17:18 AMI also assume the PVR jockeys @TSN are better at this than me.  I assume they know football better than me, have better eyes than me, better tech than me.  If I'm spotting this stuff then so should they.  If I'm wrong, maybe they need new guys.

Lol this is going to sound rude but they are doing it real time with usually 15-20 seconds to work with live on air across the country. You're doing it in your basement from midnight to 6 am two hours after the game is over.

Jesse

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 17, 2024, 02:19:14 PMLol this is going to sound rude but they are doing it real time with usually 15-20 seconds to work with live on air across the country. You're doing it in your basement from midnight to 6 am two hours after the game is over.

And that's the point, right? Combined with bomb squad's comment above that people don't want delay's in the football game. If you can't see something egregious within the 20-30 seconds you have, you keep the call and move on.

My wife is amazing!

peg_city

I'm wondering if the point is moot, because the Als then kick a field goal tie the game, and we go to overtime only for Lauther to miss a field goal.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: bomb squad on August 17, 2024, 07:11:16 AMMy first impression after watching the replay was yes there's a still shot clearly showing a green strip between the shoe and the white line. But then after they release the pause button (or whatever they do) I went hmmm, it looked like it slid sideways, maybe out of bounds. But no further still shots of anything. Call stood, so must have been no clear evidence. Ok let's carryon. Beautiful touchdown run by the way.

Then there's the shot on Sportscenter, what, 20 minutes afterwards that shows the white turfgrass blades moving. OMG, that must mean his foot was out after all. By a millimeter or two, but by golly it was out and the Riders got robbed. (Have a look over there, it's insane, sickening really). That's the level of detail we're after? Millimeters? Lickety split though CC. We don't want to slow the game down you know. But we want it down to the millimeters, or you're going to hear about it. Got it?

And conspiracies? Good grief. Look, he straddled the inside of the OOB's line beautifully. That's what happened. That's what we saw. Let's move on, let the guys do their jobs, and stop the insanity. Just watch the games already. They've been really good. Rant over.

take a coffee man!  :D
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: peg_city on August 17, 2024, 02:27:10 PMI'm wondering if the point is moot, because the Als then kick a field goal tie the game, and we go to overtime only for Lauther to miss a field goal.
imagine the Riders got another tie. LOL
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

The Zipp

Well the one saving grace for the riders is that Harris looked pretty good. I genuinely want to dislike the guy cause he is wearing green but he does seem like a decent human being. 

Riders will be tough to sweep (LDC and Banjo bowl) but to catch and overtake them we really need to.

Take care of bc and Hamilton and we will see where the riders and sitting. 

Pete

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on August 17, 2024, 02:38:47 PMimagine the Riders got another tie. LOL
saw a quote on the other forum that was great....
the rider fans are being concerned about the wrong foot...
(wasn't the one that may or may not have been out of bounds)