Als at Riders GDT Fri 8pm CT

Started by gobombersgo, August 15, 2024, 08:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 17, 2024, 04:46:48 AMIt might be out but it's not TSN's fault. The command centre needs to decide whether to slow the game down and wait for all kinds of replays to come in or not. They probably saw the tsn shot we all saw that looked in and then said keep playing.

Hard to blame them for that. They've been apparently told.to interfere less and there's a red staring right at it. They have a reply that looks clean.

It's 2 separate issues.  Need to keep them separate.

1) Command not wanting to overturn anymore.  Could argue this is ok or not (new philosophy of theirs does make some sense).

2) TSN hiding the clear/easy evidence.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 17, 2024, 04:42:02 AMNot everything is a big conspiracy.

OK, then how about this: SportsCentre 5 mins later showed the same zoom/freeze replay.  All of your "not enough time" explanations for TSN truck don't apply to the post-game show 5 mins later.  What excuse do the lackeys riding the PVRs @TSN HQ have to not show us the "controversial" shots?

Hey, just so you know, I'm not emotionally invested here about the call.  I wear blue, not green.  I just don't like dishonesty, and I'll be understanding of SSK fans freaking out all week.

But everyone should go read my post way above about MTL probably winning anyhow because they'd be 1st & goal at the 5 after an easy half yard sneak.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 17, 2024, 04:50:30 AMIt's 2 separate issues.  Need to keep them separate.

1) Command not wanting to overturn anymore.  Could argue this is ok or not (new philosophy of theirs does make some sense).

2) TSN hiding the clear/easy evidence.

I don't believe they hid anything. Not in real time. Where do you think all of the angles are coming from the shows him out anyway? Also TSN.

The issue is they have to make a determination in a very short amount of time. You can't go on twitter 10 minutes later and see all the views. You've got to make the call now.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 17, 2024, 04:53:13 AMOK, then how about this: SportsCentre 5 mins later showed the same zoom/freeze replay.  All of your "not enough time" explanations for TSN truck don't apply to the post-game show 5 mins later.  What excuse do the lackeys riding the PVRs @TSN HQ have to not show us the "controversial" shots?

Hey, just so you know, I'm not emotionally invested here about the call.  I wear blue, not green.  I just don't like dishonesty, and I'll be understanding of SSK fans freaking out all week.

But everyone should go read my post way above about MTL probably winning anyhow because they'd be 1st & goal at the 5 after an easy half yard sneak.

It's easy to blame "TSN" a big nebulous entity for being dishonest for some reason or another which is not quite clear.

It's harder when you understand how it works. The people that work the games are just regular folk who work in a pressure cooker of an environment for 3.5 hours. To suggest TSN is being dishonest, you are really accusing a small team of camera operators, tv techs a producer and a few others who are sports fans and try their best to bring you good coverage of games every week. Why would those people be dishonest? Is Ambrosie paying them to lie? Do they get a cut of CFL profits annually? Of course not.

It's just not true. Right call or wrong call I'm not sure but the dishonesty/coverup accusation is wrong.

Sir Blue and Gold

I also find it pretty funny how there was this big narrative around less command centre reviews (3down had a really talked about article) and then this happens. They stayed out of it and went with the refs call on the field. Why is no one happy? More review?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 17, 2024, 04:53:58 AMI don't believe they hid anything. Not in real time. Where do you think all of the angles are coming from the shows him out anyway? Also TSN.

The issue is they have to make a determination in a very short amount of time. You can't go on twitter 10 minutes later and see all the views. You've got to make the call now.

You're conflating the 2 issues.

Command isn't hiding anything.  That was TSN.

Once my computer got the keyframes calculated (which is realtime on pro gear like command/TSN, about 5 mins later on my gear), it took me literally 10s to find the TSN frame and then advance 3 more frames.  All of this can easily be accomplished within the 1-3 min command review time.

Hey!  New update SC just showed the real toe view frames during the Mace interview!!!!  Finally someone doing their job.  But 25 mins after the game ended when only the hardcore fans still watching.  Maybe the fans blowing up the internet forced their hand.  Now they get to milk the "command controversy" angle!  LOL
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 17, 2024, 05:02:38 AMI also find it pretty funny how there was this big narrative around less command centre reviews (3down had a really talked about article) and then this happens. They stayed out of it and went with the refs call on the field. Why is no one happy? More review?

Bingo, nailed it.

The funny things is, command mostly had the correct balance last season.  I don't recall nearly as many controversies.  It's whatever crap they are doing this year that is leaving every fan angry and screaming.

Ambrosie should come out tomorrow and say:
1) Reverting to the standards established in 2022-2023.
2) Bradbury always heads up command, never Valesi or anyone else.  (Or pick someone else, but then they always head it up... no changing every week!)
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

TSN just showed the other angles on sports centre. One still looks very much in. The other looks more out. Hard to conclude one way or the other based on that to me.

J5V

His foot looks OOB here ...Out of Bounds

That doesn't mean they wouldn't have got the major in the ensuing plays, but who knows?
Go Bombers!

pdirks67

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 17, 2024, 05:07:05 AMYou're conflating the 2 issues.

Command isn't hiding anything.  That was TSN.

Once my computer got the keyframes calculated (which is realtime on pro gear like command/TSN, about 5 mins later on my gear), it took me literally 10s to find the TSN frame and then advance 3 more frames.  All of this can easily be accomplished within the 1-3 min command review time.

Hey!  New update SC just showed the real toe view frames during the Mace interview!!!!  Finally someone doing their job.  But 25 mins after the game ended when only the hardcore fans still watching.  Maybe the fans blowing up the internet forced their hand.  Now they get to milk the "command controversy" angle!  LOL

I don't think anyone was intentionally hiding anything. "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 17, 2024, 04:57:01 AMIt's just not true. Right call or wrong call I'm not sure but the dishonesty/coverup accusation is wrong.

They aren't doing it to lie or cheat for Vegas bucks or something.  They are doing it to try to show CFL in the best light, to try to show that command got it right, to try to show splashy big plays that get layfans excited... like this Alexander TD.

What's worth more to the CFL/TSN product, Alexander's toenail going OOB or him doing a spectacular dance on the rail to win the game?  Ya, there's your answer.

I don't say this lightly.  It's only after watching TSN do this repeatedly, at least once a month or more, for 5 years (at least).

Remember a game a few years back I think Dunigan was in the booth and clearly command/TSN got a call wrong and Duni said to himself (really the director) "no I'm not gonna let it go".  Duni wanted to point out the bad call and TSN was trying to silence him.

Surely someone else who notices these things will back me up.  If not, I'll try to highlight examples for you going forward to see if your opinion can be swayed after repeated exposure.

Oh ya, and NFL is waaaaaaaaaaaaay worse for this.  The NFL booth and panel guys will just say "uhhhhh, don't think that was DPI" and then shut up immediately and never mention it again.  At least our booth will sometimes chirp for 10-20s or so until they are told to shut up.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 17, 2024, 04:57:01 AMIt's harder when you understand how it works. The people that work the games are just regular folk who work in a pressure cooker of an environment for 3.5 hours.

I also assume the PVR jockeys @TSN are better at this than me.  I assume they know football better than me, have better eyes than me, better tech than me.  If I'm spotting this stuff then so should they.  If I'm wrong, maybe they need new guys.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 17, 2024, 05:11:49 AMTSN just showed the other angles on sports centre. One still looks very much in. The other looks more out. Hard to conclude one way or the other based on that to me.

You can ignore the ins, they are irrelevant.  You can't be a little pregnant.

You're saying the "out" shot shown during Mace interview didn't look definitive to you??  Should I whip up some stills here?

It's ok, under the new command standard we can all 100% admit his foot was 100% out and still deem the officiating to be good!  CFL has said the call doesn't have to be "right" down to the frame or slowmo.  They are doing precisely what they said they would: trust the on-field refs and on overturn egregious livetime flubs.

In livetime I thought his foot *might* be out.  So clearly they will uphold the call based on their new standard: "might" is no longer good enough and the freezeframes must be ignore.

Now... start a thread about whether we like this new standard or not (I don't).  That's the true argument here.
EDIT:
http://forums.bluebombers.com/index.php?topic=55931.0
Never go full Rider!

pdirks67

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 17, 2024, 05:21:54 AMYou can ignore the ins, they are irrelevant.  You can't be a little pregnant.

You're saying the "out" shot shown during Mace interview didn't look definitive to you??  Should I whip up some stills here?

It's ok, under the new command standard we can all 100% admit his foot was 100% out and still deem the officiating to be good!  CFL has said the call doesn't have to be "right" down to the frame or slowmo.  They are doing precisely what they said they would: trust the on-field refs and on overturn egregious livetime flubs.

In livetime I thought his foot *might* be out.  So clearly they will uphold the call based on their new standard: "might" is no longer good enough and the freezeframes must be ignore.

Now... start a thread about whether we like this new standard or not (I don't).  That's the true argument here.

It is clear without slow-mo or freeze frame to me. The foot 100% slides sideways and out of bounds. The only reason there is any question about it was (1) the ref missed the call on the field, and (2) TSN screwed up the freeze-frame. It exceeds the "egregious" threshold for me. It's clearly out, it resulted in a score, and it cost the Riders the game. I don't know what could get overturned if this wasn't overturned. If this is the standard, they might as well get rid of replay altogether. I think that Command Centre is just so gunshy right now that they won't overturn anything. I'm just chalking this up as another mistake and moving on (while cheering the Riders loss).

dd

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 17, 2024, 05:11:49 AMTSN just showed the other angles on sports centre. One still looks very much in. The other looks more out. Hard to conclude one way or the other based on that to me.
The one replay TSN showed his foot was clearly in , you could see green between his foot and the sideline, not much to disputed there