CBA - "Marketing money"

Started by Jesse, August 14, 2024, 02:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: Pete on August 14, 2024, 07:54:27 PMIt sounds like another one of thosr things that the league put on to get the last cra passed without a real thought as to how it would be utilized, much like the nationalized america rule

Pretty sure this was a CFLPA demand to make sure guys were getting paid for off field appearances.
My wife is amazing!

RebusRankin

Ok, so if this is the case, Farhan was incorrect when he said the 200k that Rourke is receiving each year for marketing doesn't count against the cap?

peg_city

If the blue bomber forum paid marketing money, it should go to Zipp.

The Zipp

Quote from: peg_city on August 14, 2024, 08:37:33 PMIf the blue bomber forum paid marketing money, it should go to Zipp.

I am here cause I love the Bombers and the fan interaction. 

(Spare change....spare change..??)

Not to start anything with other cfl forums but this one is one of the best!!

TBURGESS

All I've seen is 110K minimum. I haven't seen any maximum yet. Therefore, I'd assume that the 200K Rourke is getting doesn't take anything away from BC's SMS or from other players on BC. 

If that's a correct interpretation, then it's a huge hole in the SMS scheme. 
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Jesse on August 14, 2024, 04:01:13 PMYeah, I don't understand what the benefit may be in offering more than the 110k in marketing money to a player.

Unless it's one of the tax loop holes or is given out as a lump sum when the contract is signed and not doled out as part of game cheques.

My only guess is that players may like it because it gives assurances that they'll be able to get their "brand" out there in that teams would do the leg work to get them opportunities and then pay them for it.

Perhaps also it is a way for players to receive some income in the off season as some of the marketing activities would probably fall outside the season, which may be important to some. I'm guessing, but reasonably certain it would get paid at the conclusion of the marketing "activity".

TBURGESS

Talking to sources, the consensus seems to be that Toronto, Hamilton, Winnipeg, and B.C. spend the most marketing money.
Marketing money is unlimited and doesn't count against the salary cap. It's been that way since 2023.#Argos | #Ticats | #Bombers | #BCLions | #CFL https://t.co/jKquB3dDQI

— John Hodge (@JohnDHodge) August 14, 2024
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 14, 2024, 10:30:53 PMTalking to sources, the consensus seems to be that Toronto, Hamilton, Winnipeg, and B.C. spend the most marketing money.
Marketing money is unlimited and doesn't count against the salary cap. It's been that way since 2023.#Argos | #Ticats | #Bombers | #BCLions | #CFL https://t.co/jKquB3dDQI

— John Hodge (@JohnDHodge) August 14, 2024

Hahahahahaha the Riders are poor!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: gobombersgo on August 14, 2024, 07:51:11 PMI wonder what going to happen to Chad Kelly's 100k in marketing money for this season.

It might be prudent to direct it towards miscellaneous lawyer fees.

pdirks67

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 14, 2024, 10:30:53 PMTalking to sources, the consensus seems to be that Toronto, Hamilton, Winnipeg, and B.C. spend the most marketing money.
Marketing money is unlimited and doesn't count against the salary cap. It's been that way since 2023.

This directly contradicts what was posted at the beginning of this thread - do we know the actual truth of the matter?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on August 14, 2024, 07:54:27 PMIt sounds like another one of thosr things that the league put on to get the last cra passed without a real thought as to how it would be utilized, much like the nationalized america rule

It's difficult to make a group of wealthy team owner's abide by any spending restraints when they're busy measuring their sticks, obviously the majority wanted an exemption on the salary cap restraints in order to vote this initiative through.  Soon to be heard whining from the richest of them all in Toronto.

pdirks67

Quote from: Jesse on August 14, 2024, 07:43:01 PMIt's a minimum amount. They can choose to spend as much as they want under this category. If players already have it as part of their contract for next year, they are still getting it, I imagine.

They can spend what they want. But, (1) does it count against the cap after a certain point, and (2) will the extra spending incur fines if they go over the cap?

I'm not saying that it isn't in the league's best interest to have Rourke back - it 100% is worth it. However, they have to maintain the credibility of the cap to some degree.

gobombersgo

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 14, 2024, 10:33:05 PMHahahahahaha the Riders are poor!

I am not sure why the Bombers were highlighted. Brady is getting a fair bit but only 4 players are listed for receiving the marketing money.

I had a look at the salaries of the Bombers and Riders that were published on 3Down:

Bombers: Oliveira 50k, Schoen 35k, Demski 20k, Lawson 5k.

Riders: Harris 15k, Fine 10k, Ouellette 15k, Bane 10k, Schaffer-Baker 7.5k, Hardrick 15k, Ferland 3k, Lanier 7.5k, Thurman 5k, Milligan 2k.

Without adding up all the numbers it did look like the Argos were spending a fair amount.

J5V

Quote from: gobombersgo on August 14, 2024, 11:11:19 PMI am not sure why the Bombers were highlighted. Brady is getting a fair bit but only 4 players are listed for receiving the marketing money.

I had a look at the salaries of the Bombers and Riders that were published on 3Down:

Bombers: Oliveira 50k, Schoen 35k, Demski 20k, Lawson 5k.

Riders: Harris 15k, Fine 10k, Ouellette 15k, Bane 10k, Schaffer-Baker 7.5k, Hardrick 15k, Ferland 3k, Lanier 7.5k, Thurman 5k, Milligan 2k.

Without adding up all the numbers it did look like the Argos were spending a fair amount.
It figures that the markets that are struggling need to spend that money. Argos fans are few and far between. The clubs that draw well, like the Bombers, don't need to market the game as much. Judging by the empty seats in Regina you'd think the Riders would be spending gobs of it!
Go Bombers!

gobombersgo

This was Derek Taylor's take:

As I read the CBA, teams have to spend a *minimum* of $110,000 per year on "Non-Football Related Services". That $110K counts under the Total Salary Expenditure Cap (this season it's $5.635 million. Up to $5.76 million next season). The thought that it doesn't count against the cap is mostly correct.

I don't see anything in the CBA that mentions a maximum for "Non-Football Related Services". What I've heard is that the CFL wants teams to "just be cool" about it (ie. don't go nuts and spend a zillion dollars there).

It's got to be a tricky spot for owners collectively. If one decides to spendspendspend I can't imagine the rest could do much to stop him. And if I was the players union I would want a MAJOR concession to put a specified limit on that money.