Janarion Grant and the X Factor

Started by Lincoln Locomotive, August 10, 2024, 12:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J5V

Quote from: Jesse on August 13, 2024, 08:02:18 PMWell, he never played a game for any team but Winnipeg before this year so I find it very difficult to call him a "mercenary" who goes to the highest bidder.
You're right, that language was probably somewhat hyperbolic. You might be able to tell I'm not real happy with the fact that he wouldn't stay here with us and now that he's in Toronto, well, he's the enemy now. Anyway, I removed that particular comment after some consideration.
Go Bombers!

theaardvark

Who says we didn't set money aside for Grant.  Just might not have been enough.

If it was outside the budget Walters had set, for an oft injured Xfactor, so be it.

There is no way Pinball signed him for $85k, unless there was $200k nonSMS money like Rourke got.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on August 13, 2024, 11:03:17 PMWho says we didn't set money aside for Grant.  Just might not have been enough.

If it was outside the budget Walters had set, for an oft injured Xfactor, so be it.

There is no way Pinball signed him for $85k, unless there was $200k nonSMS money like Rourke got.

The marketing money just shows we didn't need to set aside money, if we wanted him here, we could have made it happen.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: Jesse on August 13, 2024, 11:11:46 PMThe marketing money just shows we didn't need to set aside money, if we wanted him here, we could have made it happen.

You have no idea if we have already spent our "marketing money".  It might have been why Schoen/Olivera signed here.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pete

Quote from: theaardvark on August 14, 2024, 01:04:27 AMYou have no idea if we have already spent our "marketing money".  It might have been why Schoen/Olivera signed here.
that assumes there is a fixed amount you can spend which there does not appear to be.

theaardvark

Quote from: Pete on August 14, 2024, 02:32:24 AMthat assumes there is a fixed amount you can spend which there does not appear to be.

We really need some answers about the circumventing $SMS crap.

If you can pay a player an unlimited "promotional fee", then we should sign every player.  We are one of the most liquid, if not the most liquid team, and don't have an owner to pay.  As long as we keep a little in the kitty, there is no reason to not spend every dollar.  And we've had surpluses for years.

Is there a line item in the annual report for "promotional fees"?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: ModAdmin on August 13, 2024, 09:34:06 PMOf course those are one side on those conversations. You and I don't know the full story so I take players' comments with a grain or two of salt. For example, a player who is told "This is our final offer" could easily take that as a lack of communication especially if he believes that he is worth more.

In any event none of us know the full story so it leaves gap in trying to determine what actually happened.

The players version is the only side we have as the team never has and never will comment.  If you go back and listen to the interviews of those 3 particular players, you may have a hard time disbelieving them as they all come across as open, sincere and honest.

ModAdmin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 14, 2024, 07:16:10 AMThe players version is the only side we have as the team never has and never will comment.  If you go back and listen to the interviews of those 3 particular players, you may have a hard time disbelieving them as they all come across as open, sincere and honest.

Personally I can't simply accept what the players say without hearing the other side. Suggesting the organization did not communicate with them flies in the face of everything I've heard about the Bombers - that is they care about the players, that they build the team based on that attitude and atmosphere.  At the same time decisions need to made that sometimes let a player go or they are offered a lower salary or a reduced role on the team.  Those decisions are not likely to go over well with some players.  And the organization is not going to get into those specifics.

But again, we don't know the full story. That is all I am saying.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden