Janarion Grant and the X Factor

Started by Lincoln Locomotive, August 10, 2024, 12:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Jesse on August 12, 2024, 04:18:09 PMNo, sorry. No one (of consequence) was signed after Walters last said we were still talking to Grant.

We made a mistake. It happens. But I'm not going to make excuses for the club when Grants killing it for Toronto. A couple of return TDs for us early in the year would have made a huge difference.

and thereby fully on the mark.....sometimes Bomber management shows signs of complacency and this is a prime example.   
Bomber fan for life

Sir Blue and Gold

I don't think it's complacency. It's the expectation and priority of team and character.

"Bombers GM Kyle Walters had told us Grant typically goes off the grid in the winter, hard to reach even by his own agent."

The Bombers of 6 or 7 years ago would have probably played that game but the one now does not. You can decide whether that's the correct approach in the CFL (or in this case at that position) but I think that's how we operate.

Jesse

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 13, 2024, 12:12:19 PMI don't think it's complacency. It's the expectation and priority of team and character.

"Bombers GM Kyle Walters had told us Grant typically goes off the grid in the winter, hard to reach even by his own agent."

The Bombers of 6 or 7 years ago would have probably played that game but the one now does not. You can decide whether that's the correct approach in the CFL (or in this case at that position) but I think that's how we operate.

We've changed so much from when we signed him last year?
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Jesse on August 13, 2024, 01:46:29 PMWe've changed so much from when we signed him last year?

He didn't go from employable to not in an off season. It adds up over time with each player, I'm sure.

blue_or_die

Quote from: ModAdmin on August 12, 2024, 04:38:15 PMGrant is killing in Toronto.  But you can't assume those TDs would have happened in Winnipeg either.  Too many unknowns.  We do know Grant is currently more effective than our returners but the jury is out on them too.

I don't think the jury is out on them. Half a season has gone by. They're all meh. Janarion was a gamechanger as he proved for us all the years he played for us and as he's continuing to do in Toronto without skipping a beat. Not sure how we can spin it in any other way.

I'll say this as someone who trusted our decision to move on and hoped we could find an ELC to give us consistently good field position and break one every once in a while, but I too have seller's remorse now that we've seen enough evidence.
#Ride?

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: blue_or_die on August 13, 2024, 03:09:18 PMI don't think the jury is out on them. Half a season has gone by. They're all meh. Janarion was a gamechanger as he proved for us all the years he played for us and as he's continuing to do in Toronto without skipping a beat. Not sure how we can spin it in any other way.

I'll say this as someone who trusted our decision to move on and hoped we could find an ELC to give us consistently good field position and break one every once in a while, but I too have seller's remorse now that we've seen enough evidence.
yes all our returners are "meh" at best....I remember the days before we got Keith Stokes and suddenly we had field position and a threat to break a game open.    It's the X-Factor that can play a pivotal part in a run for the GC
Bomber fan for life

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 13, 2024, 12:12:19 PMI don't think it's complacency. It's the expectation and priority of team and character.

The Director of Player Personnel should not try to be the players best friend, they should operate in neutral territory as much as possible.  We've heard from numerous players directly this past off-season and in the past that communication from the team is often very poor to non-existent, which is literally the most important aspect of that job.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 13, 2024, 05:16:34 PMThe Director of Player Personnel should not try to be the players best friend, they should operate in neutral territory as much as possible.  We've heard from numerous players directly this past off-season and in the past that communication from the team is often very poor to non-existent, which is literally the most important aspect of that job.

Has anyone who's not a disgruntled former player said anything like that?
My wife is amazing!

ModAdmin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 13, 2024, 05:16:34 PMThe Director of Player Personnel should not try to be the players best friend, they should operate in neutral territory as much as possible.  We've heard from numerous players directly this past off-season and in the past that communication from the team is often very poor to non-existent, which is literally the most important aspect of that job.

I think I've heard once or twice that a player had a past problem with communication with management. It makes no sense the team would simply ignore a player who was negotiating a contract. Who are the players this past off-season who have made this claim?
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

J5V

Agree 100%

No one player, whether that's Grant or Rourke, or Kelly, etc. is bigger than the team. I wish Grant well and thank him for his service here, but he's not a Bomber so ... crush ya later.
Go Bombers!

Jesse

Quote from: J5V on August 13, 2024, 06:45:19 PMAgree 100%

No one player, whether that's Grant or Rourke, or Kelly, etc. is bigger than the team. Grant obviously knows he has a gift and obviously has no compelling loyalty to any particular team. He's a mercenary. He'll likely always go to the highest bidder. I wish him well and thank him for his service here, but he's not a Bomber so ... crush ya later.

What? He was a career Bomber before this season.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: ModAdmin on August 13, 2024, 06:39:04 PMI think I've heard once or twice that a player had a past problem with communication with management. It makes no sense the team would simply ignore a player who was negotiating a contract. Who are the players this past off-season who have made this claim?

Bailey, Jeffcoat, Harris before them, all told similar stories of a lack of communication from the front office.  If someone ever interviewed Grant, we'd get his take, same with Gray, no reporter can bother to contact him to find out why he left football.

J5V

Quote from: Jesse on August 13, 2024, 07:14:07 PMWhat? He was a career Bomber before this season.
He started his career in Hamilton who ultimately released him. We picked him up after that. My understanding was  he was difficult to keep happy. He opted out of his contract in 2020 before Walters convinced him to stay. He signed a one-year contract extension with Winnipeg on February 4, 2021. He tried free agency in 2022 and Walters again convinced him to sign. This year he went the free agent route again and signed with Toronto. I don't hold it against him and wish him well but he's an Argo now.
Go Bombers!

Jesse

Quote from: J5V on August 13, 2024, 07:33:34 PMHe started his career in Hamilton who ultimately released him. We picked him up after that. My understanding was  he was difficult to keep happy. He opted out of his contract in 2020 before Walters convinced him to stay. He signed a one-year contract extension with Winnipeg on February 4, 2021. He tried free agency in 2022 and Walters again convinced him to sign. This year he went the free agent route again and signed with Toronto. I don't hold it against him and wish him well but he's an Argo now.

Well, he never played a game for any team but Winnipeg before this year so I find it very difficult to call him a "mercenary" who goes to the highest bidder.
My wife is amazing!

ModAdmin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 13, 2024, 07:27:01 PMBailey, Jeffcoat, Harris before them, all told similar stories of a lack of communication from the front office.  If someone ever interviewed Grant, we'd get his take, same with Gray, no reporter can bother to contact him to find out why he left football.
Of course those are one side on those conversations. You and I don't know the full story so I take players' comments with a grain or two of salt. For example, a player who is told "This is our final offer" could easily take that as a lack of communication especially if he believes that he is worth more.

In any event none of us know the full story so it leaves gap in trying to determine what actually happened.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden