Janarion Grant and the X Factor

Started by Lincoln Locomotive, August 10, 2024, 12:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Where did the number of $85K for Grant come from.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Pete

Unlike  a lot of those that left Grant hasn't expressed any indication that his first desire was to remain in wpg
Both sides have been pretty quiet feels like he just wanted to play elsewhere

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on August 11, 2024, 06:39:08 PMWhere did the number of $85K for Grant come from.

Came up in the media a couple of weeks ago, can't recall who announced it.

theaardvark

Hard to resign someone when you can't get him a contract offer because he is unavailable..

"Bombers GM Kyle Walters had told us Grant typically goes off the grid in the winter, hard to reach even by his own agent."

By the time he resurfaced, we had moved on.  Its not like you can wait forever..

Historically, Grant has been explosive, but last year, 8 games, 1 TD.  And without contact to confirm he would be improving on those numbers, its hard to hold a spot and $SMS money open for him...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on August 11, 2024, 07:37:54 PMHard to resign someone when you can't get him a contract offer because he is unavailable..

"Bombers GM Kyle Walters had told us Grant typically goes off the grid in the winter, hard to reach even by his own agent."

By the time he resurfaced, we had moved on.  Its not like you can wait forever..

Historically, Grant has been explosive, but last year, 8 games, 1 TD.  And without contact to confirm he would be improving on those numbers, its hard to hold a spot and $SMS money open for him...

You keep repeating this but how did we "move on"? What would have prevented us from signing him at any point before the season started?

It's a nonsense argument.
My wife is amazing!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: theaardvark on August 11, 2024, 07:37:54 PMHard to resign someone when you can't get him a contract offer because he is unavailable..

He was injured last season and this year he has 4 return TDs and in pace for another 4....and then there's the playoffs.    He was also a threat on jet sweeps and the occasional wideout quick hitter.    By the end of this season he could very well be the 2nd all time leading returner in CFl history.   
I just think we needed to make him more of a priority when it came to resigning him....he adds both that X-Factor and that Exhilaration Factor for the fans.   
Bomber fan for life

ModAdmin

Quote from: Jesse on August 11, 2024, 09:34:31 PMYou keep repeating this but how did we "move on"? What would have prevented us from signing him at any point before the season started?

It's a nonsense argument.

SMS?  By the time Grant responded to our contract offers we may have already committed those dollars to other players.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

blue_gold_84

Quote from: ModAdmin on August 12, 2024, 04:46:25 AMSMS?  By the time Grant responded to our contract offers we may have already committed those dollars to other players.

If the plan had been to re-sign Grant all along, wouldn't the money have been earmarked for him until his party responded?

Seems like the WFC mishandled this situation - and badly, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

ModAdmin

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on August 12, 2024, 01:35:34 PMIf the plan had been to re-sign Grant all along, wouldn't the money have been earmarked for him until his party responded?

Seems like the WFC mishandled this situation - and badly, IMO.

Likely it came to a point where decisions had to be made or lose other players...perhaps in addition to Grant.  Also Grant may have decided to move on and never informed the Bombers.  Remember, even his agent had trouble contacting him.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Jesse

Quote from: ModAdmin on August 12, 2024, 04:46:25 AMSMS?  By the time Grant responded to our contract offers we may have already committed those dollars to other players.

No, sorry. No one (of consequence) was signed after Walters last said we were still talking to Grant.

We made a mistake. It happens. But I'm not going to make excuses for the club when Grants killing it for Toronto. A couple of return TDs for us early in the year would have made a huge difference.
My wife is amazing!

ModAdmin

Quote from: Jesse on August 12, 2024, 04:18:09 PMNo, sorry. No one (of consequence) was signed after Walters last said we were still talking to Grant.

We made a mistake. It happens. But I'm not going to make excuses for the club when Grants killing it for Toronto. A couple of return TDs for us early in the year would have made a huge difference.

Grant is killing in Toronto.  But you can't assume those TDs would have happened in Winnipeg either.  Too many unknowns.  We do know Grant is currently more effective than our returners but the jury is out on them too.

Pigskin

I asked our Bomber border if he believes Grant signed in Toronto for $85 and he laughed. Asked if that was a media report, and laughed again.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: ModAdmin on August 12, 2024, 04:38:15 PMGrant is killing in Toronto.  But you can't assume those TDs would have happened in Winnipeg either.  Too many unknowns.  We do know Grant is currently more effective than our returners but the jury is out on them too.

To note, this year's ST schemes seem to be much improved on both sides under Mike Miller.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 12, 2024, 07:52:57 PMTo note, this year's ST schemes seem to be much improved on both sides under Mike Miller.

We still can't block very well on returns yet.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

I think Bombers know they have to get younger and a number of players were not signed.  It's a business, short term pain for long term gain. Ya win some ya lose some. Bombers have chosen wisely with this management team, despite  fluke injuries and early season adversity.

It's not a requirement to win every game.  It's always who gets hot in the playoffs.  Montreal was great at the end of last year. We were inches away from winning.

The intrigue in the CFL this year is how the teams manage their injuries. BC, Saskatchewan and Montreal look like world beaters to start the year.  All lost their QBs.

So, it's about managing adversity.  All bets are off.  Every team has capable back ups, which is great to see, compared to last year.

How will the teams manage their adversity.