A Few Interesting Blue Bomber 2024 Statistics

Started by ModAdmin, August 10, 2024, 04:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

So, although we are 3 and 6 (currently out of the playoffs) there are some interesting stats that show maybe we are not as bad as the win/loss record shows.  Consider the following..

- Zach Collaros is 3rd in passing yards gained.
- Sergio Castillo is 1st in field goals and points.
- Sergio Castillo has kicked 2 60 yard field goals and has kicked 7 field goals 50 yards or more.
- Brady Oliviera is 1st in rushing and 1st in yards gained per game.
- Chris Streveler is tied for 2nd in touchdowns scored.
- Tyrell Ford is tied for 2nd in interceptions.
- Evan Holm is tied for 2nd in pass knockdowns.
- Blue Bombers are 2nd in fewer points per game allowed.
- Blue Bombers are playing with 14 players on injury lists including 13 on the 6-game injury list.

And, we seem to be getting better.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

It's optimism night!  I like it.  Yes, WPG is way stronger than their record, just like SSK is way weaker than theirs (as is TOR).

It's been a weird season and how it'll shake out in the end could be vastly different than the current standings.

If Once our O gets going -- watch out!  Younger & The D (sounds like a rap group name) will keep up their side of the bargain, and teams will be crying all the way home.
Never go full Rider!

Lincoln Locomotive

Yes, we are the best 3-6 team in the league and our next game against BC will be telling....we may not catch the Riders however and our best shot will likely be through Calgary.   For us to get to the Cup, we will need a repeat performance as we had in 2019.    If Pokey Wilson continues to excel and Lawler can contribute as he can (and also avoid injury)....we can still be a formidable offence, even without Schoen.
I'm hoping our O-Line woes are solved and we can keep our running game running on all cylinders.....
It's a long shot, however I like our chances
Bomber fan for life

Sir Blue and Gold

I like the post but Castillo being first in field goals and points is not good news. We're last in the CFL in points for and that's particularly awful when you consider Toronto hasn't had their starting QB for a snap this year. The Riders have been mostly without theirs. Even Bo Levi is going to end up with 30 or so more points than us after their 9th game tonight.

ModAdmin

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 10, 2024, 04:00:21 PMI like the post but Castillo being first in field goals and points is not good news. We're last in the CFL in points for and that's particularly awful when you consider Toronto hasn't had their starting QB for a snap this year. The Riders have been mostly without theirs. Even Bo Levi is going to end up with 30 or so more points than us after their 9th game tonight.

Agree it's not a perfect picture and one great game does not make a season trend.  However, there seems to be reason for some optimism given they show they are capable of improving.  Actually making the playoffs would be a huge marker given the poor start of the season.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: ModAdmin on August 10, 2024, 04:07:02 AMSo, although we are 3 and 6 (currently out of the playoffs) there are some interesting stats that show maybe we are not as bad as the win/loss record shows.  Consider the following..

- Zach Collaros is 3rd in passing yards gained.
- Sergio Castillo is 1st in field goals and points.
- Sergio Castillo has kicked 2 60 yard field goals and has kicked 7 field goals 50 yards or more.
- Brady Oliviera is 1st in rushing and 1st in yards gained per game.
- Chris Streveler is tied for 2nd in touchdowns scored.
- Tyrell Ford is tied for 2nd in interceptions.
- Evan Holm is tied for 2nd in pass knockdowns.
- Blue Bombers are 2nd in fewer points per game allowed.
- Blue Bombers are playing with 14 players on injury lists including 13 on the 6-game injury list.

Missed one.

-Janarion Grant leads the league in return TD's.

Oops.

J5V

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 10, 2024, 04:00:21 PMI like the post but Castillo being first in field goals and points is not good news. We're last in the CFL in points for and that's particularly awful when you consider Toronto hasn't had their starting QB for a snap this year. The Riders have been mostly without theirs. Even Bo Levi is going to end up with 30 or so more points than us after their 9th game tonight.
The difference is our defense has been great all season despite the injuries and struggles on offense. Even a mediocre offense can win it all with an elite defense which is what we've had thusfar. Our defense is the source of my optimism. Major kudos to Jordan Younger/Richie Hall and our scouting staff. Just a phenomenal job.
Go Bombers!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: J5V on August 10, 2024, 06:01:38 PMThe difference is our defense has been great all season despite the injuries and struggles on offense. Even a mediocre offense can win it all with an elite defense which is what we've had thusfar. Our defense is the source of my optimism. Major kudos to Jordan Younger/Richie Hall and our scouting staff. Just a phenomenal job.

Take a look at those defensive stats gentlemen!! Bombers D LEAST POINTS given up even though BC, Edmonton and Ottawa have played one less game!! THIS D has kept us in almost every game. If the O can keep up what they did last game...WATCH OUT!! SWEEP Sask in Labour day weekend series and first place definitely up for grabs. Lots of what if's but the potential and momentum is there I think. Nobody is safe in the West. 

Elks win on Sunday vs BC at home and they are in the West playoff hunt legitimately too although they have a longgggg road to crawl out of even more than the Bombers.

Stats Junkie

I track QB drive results which I believe is a good way to determine drive efficiency. The ultimate goal on most drives is points, preferably in the form of a TD.

Here are a couple of punting details that I track. Call these punt team stats if you want. I measure net of a punt from the LOS on the punt play to the LOS on the next scrimmage*

Punts that are kicked from the punters own side of centre. This is where the punter is going for distance.

Punts from the opposition side of centre. I rank these punters by the percentage of punts that pin the opposition inside the 20 yard. Also of note is the percentage of punts that go for a single point, these are almost always a missed assignment.

This is a new one for me this season - QB sneaks. I have tracked this for Winnipeg QBs dating back to 2004 but this is the first time I have tracked all QBs.

I think it is important to break these down into distance required (as indicated in the CFL PBP) and down. I believe the 2 columns to the right are the most significant - success rate when 1 yard or less is required and 3rd down success rate.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

Sir Blue and Gold

The Zipp

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 15, 2024, 05:04:01 PMThanks as always, Stats Junkie!

agreed - that is the picture of our season from an offensive perspective..red zone has been poor.  O-line struggles is a big component, mistakes in the form of penalties and just poor execution/focus.

it can be fixed and the time to start is the next four games - win those all and we have clawed back.

Jesse

Worst starting field position. High average yards per drive. Lowest TD %.

Just gotta work on that finish. Hopefully Lawler helps in that regard.
My wife is amazing!

GCn19

Quote from: Jesse on August 15, 2024, 05:56:45 PMWorst starting field position. High average yards per drive. Lowest TD %.

Just gotta work on that finish. Hopefully Lawler helps in that regard.

Lawler will be huge. His impact can't be overstated. We just have no one coming down with balls in the end zone right now.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

pdirks67

Our turnover rate is insanely high - almost 1 in 5 drives ends in an interception, fumble, or turnover on downs! We all know this, but the proportion of total drives is crazy. No wonder Sheehan only has 4 punts on the opposition side of centre.

The Zipp

Quote from: pdirks67 on August 16, 2024, 09:10:12 PMOur turnover rate is insanely high - almost 1 in 5 drives ends in an interception, fumble, or turnover on downs! We all know this, but the proportion of total drives is crazy. No wonder Sheehan only has 4 punts on the opposition side of centre.

Errors and lack of focus have been our kryptonite.  The first quarter of last game was a comedy of errors.

Typically MOS has those things looked after - maybe new players and rookies??