Argos vs. Stamps GDT Fri 630pm CT

Started by Blueforlife, August 08, 2024, 03:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on August 10, 2024, 02:12:13 AMMassive hold by the Argos there with no call.

Holding in the CFL is so arbitrary and subjective.  That one here wasn't too bad... he didn't pass the plane of the holder's body, so they often let that slide.

Boy, is that TOR Priester the one we had for a TC and a few games a few years back?  He's turning into a legit player.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on August 10, 2024, 02:22:04 AMHow was that not a penalty for RTP?

A lot like the hit on Zach.  If you show "good form" they are letting the H2H slide.  Proulx was very keen to throw, had his hand sitting on the flag, but didn't throw it.

I think in any of these cases if you challenge you would win H2H RTP.  My beef is that they claim to care about QB head hits and want to eliminate them, but refs/command are letting so many of these slide.  Maybe Arbuckle should have done a little writhing first.
Never go full Rider!

Stats Junkie

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 10, 2024, 02:21:29 AMStill, it's disconcerting to see so many O snoozefests.  I wonder what the stats say on drives ending in a punt vs TD this season vs past ones.

If you started in week 1 taking the under on every single game I bet you're up massive $$.
I have detailed drive numbers dating back to 2004. TDs are scored on 17.0% of all drives in 2024 which is 3rd best during this time.

Punts on 43.2% of drives is the 4th lowest but I see this category as more of a residual number than an indicator of anything.

1.78 points per drive is the best since 2004.

I don't have complete data for seasons prior to 2004 but the information that does exist suggests that we are seeing historically high numbers for points and TDs. What has changed over the years is a substantial decrease in the number of possessions/plays per game.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

bomb squad

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 10, 2024, 02:08:22 AMI get really aggravated that the refs and command don't know the rules!

3Q12:09 the fake gamble drawing TOR offsides:

Rule 4 Scrimmage
Section 2 Method of Scrimmage
Article 2 Illegal Movement

Team A shall be subject to penalty for attempting to draw an opponent offside if:
(b) the quarterback, having assumed a stance with hands under the Centre, bobs the head, moves the shoulders or flexes the knees in a jerking motion without the ball being snapped

This is football reffing 101 here.  It was obvious and clear in live time that Stevens bobbed his head doing his hard count.  It is ridiculous that I sit here knowing this and all the refs there don't.

No one likes these dumb fake gambles that (only) TOR and CGY do.  Don't reward them for starting to also cheat while doing it now!

Just took a look. Yup. A good maybe 10cm head bob. Should have been called.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Stats Junkie on August 10, 2024, 03:30:54 AMI have detailed drive numbers dating back to 2004. TDs are scored on 17.0% of all drives in 2024 which is 3rd best during this time.

Thanks!  I knew I could count on you, up nearly as late as myself!  :)

So I wonder how much the start-at-40 (et al) impacted the stats recently though.  Was that change in 2022?  You can see how it bumped up the averages a bit in your chart.

So I also wonder why these games feel so meh then, this season?  Many have commented on the poor quality of the games, especially in first halves.  Maybe it's the wild & splashy endings they sometimes have?  Is that making up for the bad games, stats-wise?

Take the SSK@OTT game: snoozefest loserfest all game until the very end then all heck breaks loose.  I wonder how that skews the stats.

Do you have stats on 2&outs?  Seems to be a lot more of those lately.  Also # of punts in a game total.

It feels like a strange season, especially with the west basically wide open.  Heck, other years we'd be completely doomed with the season start we just had.  This year we could end #2-in-W easily.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bomb squad on August 10, 2024, 03:39:11 AMJust took a look. Yup. A good maybe 10cm head bob. Should have been called.

Yup, you can use your voice all you want (hence why it's called "hard count"), but you can't make any motions when under C.  It's very basic stuff, and I wonder why command didn't step in as they often do while the refs are huddling to decide if it was O/S or IP.
Never go full Rider!