Brief Officiating article

Started by markf, August 03, 2024, 05:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markf

from a Brief article about improving officiating.

"Transparency and Communication

Open communication between officials, players, and fans can help address the issue at hand. Leagues and sports organizations can foster transparency by explaining decisions and providing insights into the reasoning behind calls. This not only helps clarify contentious moments but also showcases a commitment to integrity and fair play."

https://medium.com/@152799/addressing-the-issue-of-bad-officials-and-controversial-calls-in-sports-26dfe43cbf3f

CFL has done a poor job of acknowledging mistakes and being accountable to teams and fans.

This is a relatively easy problem to fix. No excuses.

NFL:

"When an early whistle negated a scoring play in Week 8, Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians let it fly. He derided the NFL's officiating department for refusing to hold referees and their crews accountable in the same way players, coaches and front executives are.

"My biggest thing is, referees aren't held accountable," Arians said. "Coaches get fired. General managers get fired. Players get cut. Referees aren't accountable. And it's a shame. It's been that way for 40 years, and now that we've got a new [collective bargaining] agreement, it'll be that way for 40 more years."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28022721/the-nfl-officiating-crisis-why-sound-alarm

ModAdmin

I do believe CFL are graded and held accountable for mistakes by the league.  The issue for fans is that the results of these accountability checks is that they are not made public.

I don't understand the rationale as players are subject to discipline for misdeeds and those disciplines are made public by the league through fines and suspensions.

Officials are paid to do a job, the same as players are.  But it does seem, on the surface, a bit of unfairness that there are separate rules for players and officials.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: ModAdmin on August 03, 2024, 07:25:10 PMI do believe CFL are graded and held accountable for mistakes by the league.  The issue for fans is that the results of these accountability checks is that they are not made public.

I don't understand the rationale as players are subject to discipline for misdeeds and those disciplines are made public by the league through fines and suspensions.

Officials are paid to do a job, the same as players are.  But it does seem, on the surface, a bit of unfairness that there are separate rules for players and officials.
Part of the problem is there are no potential viable official replacements due to just lack of candidates.  This might be the reason the CFL shield and protects these guys like there own children.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

markf

and horrible reffing, without it ever, not once, being explained, leads to some  fans thinking games are rigged.

The NFL is no better, but at least the networks have retired officials as part of the broadcast team, who are allowed to say " bad call"

someone posted that milt crticised the no fumble call.

J5V

Quote from: markf on August 03, 2024, 10:39:24 PMand horrible reffing, without it ever, not once, being explained, leads to some  fans thinking games are rigged.

The NFL is no better, but at least the networks have retired officials as part of the broadcast team, who are allowed to say " bad call"

someone posted that milt crticised the no fumble call.

Yes and Dunigan and the rest of the panel supported Milt. We all saw it for what it was and we've seen it in multiple games now. It needs to stop.
Go Bombers!