Coaches show ...

Started by The Zipp, July 30, 2024, 12:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 02, 2024, 09:24:51 AMAs a fantasy player, I can tell you that no receiver in TOR has been any good (mostly because of Dukes), at least not across several weeks.  Bailey was getting good clutch conversions for them and decent yards and even a TD or 2(?).  And he is one of the best blocking WR in the CFL.  And he basically never breaks.

So a known quantity that is extremely consistent and no upside.  Vs someone like Johnson here who has vast upside but hasn't proven squat yet.  Johnson might be a Lawler next year, who knows, but he's not even remotely a Bailey right now.  So it depends what you're working towards and what you need right now.

Me?  I'd take Bailey.

What we need right now is Lawler back and it sounds like he is near ready to return.  What we do know about Rasheed is that the Bombers and now Toronto have both let him go.  He was let go for reason and by people who work football for a living.  These are people who are currently employed and and therefore a reasonable assumption can be make that they know football and talent better than we do.

It's good to discuss situations like this.  But clearly the Bombers are attempting to work in players that they believe have upside and letting them (like Johnson) get reps and opportunities is because they believe, at the very least, they have potential to be starters.  And they have only been playing half a season of CFL ball. 

They know what Rasheed can do but they think they might be able to better with the newer guys.  And we don't know what amount Rasheed is asking for to come back to the Bombers.

So many factors enter the equation and we, as fans, have very little access to these factors.  What we do know is that two teams have now let Rasheed walk and no other team has yet to rush to pick him up. 
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

DM83

Don't players get a minimum salary after a certain  number of years in the league. Then it's prorated by number of games left in a season? Do they get a housing allowance?.  I know sometimes players live together in an apartment or rent a house.

I assume Bailey had housing arrangements with some of the guys, while here?
Don't want to pay rent in Toronto.
Then of course Toronto could have needed to release players to prevent bonus money being added

Or the reality is that he qualifies for too much money.  For his receiving stats, a minimum salary for and entry level contract for a rookie and the same value in the field stat wise is the trade off.  In our case Johnson is the short term solution.  Bailey wouldn't have a spot.  Will Lawlor?

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 05, 2024, 12:56:33 AMJohnson still not producing much in games.  How many dresses so far?  How many yards?  Take out Buck's fascination with the Johnson hitch screen and he'd have like 2 catches for 10Y.

Lucky clearly has earned a spot.

So is the idea Lawler will be back in a minute and Johnson is the musical-chairs loser?  I guess I could live with that.

Clercius is ok and may be a future Woli, but right now he's not as good as Bailey. He's dropped some that Bailey would have caught.  And his blocking isn't great (witness all the failed Johnson hitch screens).

Clercius is 14 of 16... pretty sure that's better ratio than Bailey who is 24 of 31.  But I'd rather have Bailey in that spot long term.  And far better having both Clercius and Bailey in the lineup over Johnson.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

Quote from: DM83 on August 05, 2024, 11:36:32 AMDon't players get a minimum salary after a certain  number of years in the league. Then it's prorated by number of games left in a season? Do they get a housing allowance?.  I know sometimes players live together in an apartment or rent a house.

I assume Bailey had housing arrangements with some of the guys, while here?
Don't want to pay rent in Toronto.
Then of course Toronto could have needed to release players to prevent bonus money being added

Or the reality is that he qualifies for too much money.  For his receiving stats, a minimum salary for and entry level contract for a rookie and the same value in the field stat wise is the trade off.  In our case Johnson is the short term solution.  Bailey wouldn't have a spot.  Will Lawlor?

There is a min wage for any player, no veteran premium, except that they can ask for more due to being known quantities.

Housing allowance is part of $SMS, but many players find Bomber friendly landlords, or share with other players, and regardless, Winnipeg is a fraction of the living expenses that TOR, OTT or BC would be.

Johnson has been underwhelming so far this year, some seasoning on the PR would not hurt him, and would not hurt the Bombers replacing him with Bailey. 

Johnson out for Bailey, Case out when Lawler returns.  Pretty simple, really.  A Rec corps Lawler, Demski, Wilson, Lucky and Bailey is a pretty solid group.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pete

You are leaving out wheatfall, he showed promise

theaardvark

Quote from: Pete on August 05, 2024, 04:25:34 PMYou are leaving out wheatfall, he showed promise

Wheatfall did have a good game.  But he's on the 6 game IR too... after all of 2 games, 5 targets, 3 catches, and 111 yards.  So, potential, sure.  But would you rather have him or Bailey on the field? 

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on August 05, 2024, 03:54:17 PMThere is a min wage for any player, no veteran premium, except that they can ask for more due to being known quantities.

Housing allowance is part of $SMS, but many players find Bomber friendly landlords, or share with other players, and regardless, Winnipeg is a fraction of the living expenses that TOR, OTT or BC would be.

Johnson has been underwhelming so far this year, some seasoning on the PR would not hurt him, and would not hurt the Bombers replacing him with Bailey. 

Johnson out for Bailey, Case out when Lawler returns.  Pretty simple, really.  A Rec corps Lawler, Demski, Wilson, Lucky and Bailey is a pretty solid group.

Josh Johnson has been slowly improving every game as he becomes more familiar with his role, he's fast and elusive and can catch, but he looks to be less muscular than Lawler and Wilson, so not likely to hold up over the long-term.  Bombers need to copy the Riders draft plan the last few years and start selecting some bigger Natl. receivers to compliment the talent already here.  Clericus is bigger, but not in the way Justin McInnes is.

As for Sheed, the Bombers may have been curious but that ship has probably sailed with the re-emergence of Lucky as a fan favourite and the immanent return of Lawler.

J5V

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 05, 2024, 08:45:54 PMJosh Johnson has been slowly improving every game as he becomes more familiar with his role, he's fast and elusive and can catch, but he looks to be less muscular than Lawler and Wilson, so not likely to hold up over the long-term.  Bombers need to copy the Riders draft plan the last few years and start selecting some bigger Natl. receivers to compliment the talent already here.  Clericus is bigger, but not in the way Justin McInnes is.
Ajou Ajou too! What a beast!
Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 05, 2024, 08:45:54 PMAs for Sheed, the Bombers may have been curious but that ship has probably sailed with the re-emergence of Lucky as a fan favourite and the immanent return of Lawler.
Agreed. Either we don't want him or he doesn't want to be here. Let's turn the page.
Go Bombers!

dd

I ve been saying that for a week, move on already, he isn't coming here

DM83

The Bombers have a bye week. Why would you say he ain't comin here.?? If ever there was a time this would be it.

Like almost every CFL. Player all those guys are really good, or above average.  That's why they are playing pro.

In my opinion, Bailey. Had always been a step slower than the other receivers on the Bombers team, among the imports.  Again in my opinion, he sure looked assignment perfect. We talked about glue guys.  Would he not be. The epitome of a contributing glue guy? Have you ever watched the other teams receivers on a run play?

Enough of that! Prior to the last game Johnson was looking like a fifth division receiver in the local touch football league.  It was great to see Buck wake up and get him the ball. Plus using Lucky, on plays he excells in.  Buck has it going looking at match ups.  Just who in defense is going to cover Lucky and Johnson on flat passes, crossing patterns and Brady pounding off tackle.

Bombers over the hump?

dd

Bailey was released a week and a half ago. Mike O Shea has said publicly he likes the players he has, boom, end of story. He ain't coming here unless we get further injuries to our recieving corps. As it is, it looks like Lawler is coming back, and we'll have a least one guy who has been starting move back to the PR. I just don't see him coming here at this point in time

Stats Junkie

From tonight's Coach's Show on CJOB

Kenny Lawler will practice this week! Still have to determine if he is in game shape.

Coach O'Shea heard back from the CFL about a couple of items from Toronto game:

1. The play where Toronto intercepted Collaros and returned it for a TD was in fact DPI.

2. The CFL sent out a memo at the end of that week regarding the timeout that Toronto called when they didn't have one. In the future, a delay of game penalty will be assessed in that situation.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie

I am a Stats Junkie, a Rules Junkie & a Canadian Football History Junkie!

The Zipp

Quote from: Stats Junkie on August 13, 2024, 03:30:51 AMFrom tonight's Coach's Show on CJOB

Kenny Lawler will practice this week! Still have to determine if he is in game shape.

1. The play where Toronto intercepted Collaros and returned it for a TD was in fact DPI.

2. The CFL sent out a memo at the end of that week regarding the timeout that Toronto called when they didn't have one. In the future, a delay of game penalty will be assessed in that situation.

Wow.  Thanks for posting that

Ducky

Quote from: Stats Junkie on August 13, 2024, 03:30:51 AMFrom tonight's Coach's Show on CJOB

So bush league that the play was not overturned and then a week later the league says oh yeah, we got it wrong during the review.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Stats Junkie on August 13, 2024, 03:30:51 AMCoach O'Shea heard back from the CFL about a couple of items from Toronto game:

Wow.  So... now what.  Say what we all knew to be true already a few weeks later.

That play was the whole game.  Without that play we win that game and are +2 in the standings, not only helping us outright in the W, but also making it easier to xover vs potential 3rd place TOR.  Oh ya, and we also would have still had our challenge and timeout.  What a shambles.

Did the CFL release a public statement or is this MOS passing on confidential material?  Can he get in trouble for it?

I want a public apology like the CFL did last time they robbed us with the CGY "no-end" game.  I also want command center reprimanded, especially since they are now seemingly changing who is running it each week.  I'm pretty sure it was Bradbury that night.  Not like Valesi is any better, but I'm not sure I want Valesi adjudicating anything related to our games.

Now... when are they going to apologize for the SSK fake DPIs?
Never go full Rider!