Coaches show ...

Started by The Zipp, July 30, 2024, 12:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 01, 2024, 02:53:30 PMObviously we can't know - but what we do know it that:

1) Mike O'Shea is loyal to his players
2) Mike O'Shea likes to reward veterans
3) Mike O'Shea likes players who play tough and do the dirty work

Bailey is ALL of those things and yet, we didn't value him and still don't. Should make you wonder why.

I think the why boils down to SMS affordability. The team simply couldn't afford him from what I can tell - even in spite of all the good he brings to the table.

It's seems like a similar situation to what happened with a few others this past off-season.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

dd

Quote from: The Zipp on August 01, 2024, 02:49:30 PMThe Argos outright releasing him and then crying it was ratio was suspect...you typically don't just release a starting productive reciever because of ratio.  There is more to it...
Ya, there absolutely is more to it. I can see why he wouldn't come back to Wpg, but he didn't get picked up by anyone, wow.

J5V

Quote from: markf on August 01, 2024, 02:54:59 PMMaybe Bailey doesn't want to come back to Wpg.
I think this is it too. Still surprised Toronto cut him loose.
Go Bombers!

dd

Quote from: J5V on August 01, 2024, 07:38:15 PMI think this is it too. Still surprised Toronto cut him loose.
So he'd rather not play vs come to Winnipeg?? Maybe that's what Demski was referring to when he said Bailey is trying to figure things out

DM83

Bailey is a slow receiver, I assume.
He took on a blocking role and got open in zones and was a safety valve.
I assume the "going rate" for an. American receiver is around a certain rate. However the fricken Bombers are playing nit pro level guys at some positions.  The team is fumbling and stumbling with that Johnson guy and the other guy who was listed as a FB?

It's actually embarrassing to have played two men short. Collaros never threw to those guys after the first couple games. The fullback guy was invisible and that Johnson guy is plain aweful.  He can't catch, he doesn't look fast. You don't have to cover those two guys. Walter's is looking like he doesn't care.

This is where I am thinking the regular season doesn't matter.  Just get in the playoffs. But now with a very disinterested roster, are they thinking they were in the Cup the last four years so the fan base can suck it up this year?

Hopefully this BC series will produce a winning effort. No stupid penalties, a clean pocket, no fumbles, and maybe one deep completion.  But we don't appear to have the speed anyware.

Looking to a nice evening in the warm temps.

J5V

Quote from: dd on August 01, 2024, 07:47:45 PMSo he'd rather not play vs come to Winnipeg?? Maybe that's what Demski was referring to when he said Bailey is trying to figure things out
Hmm .. I never thought of that. You could very well be right.
Go Bombers!

dd

If another team made him an offer, I am sure we would have heard something. Winnipeg's the only team that gave him an offer, but not a great one, so it's play in Winnipeg or retire. Looks like he's made his decision.

Pete

its a bit early to make that assumption
even if we've signed him already they may not have announced it as it would be a distraction for today, or hes in negotiation with more than one team (including us) and playing waiting game. With the way things have been going we might be really desperate if another receiver goes down

J5V

Quote from: Pete on August 01, 2024, 11:32:06 PMits a bit early to make that assumption
even if we've signed him already they may not have announced it as it would be a distraction for today, or hes in negotiation with more than one team (including us) and playing waiting game. With the way things have been going we might be really desperate if another receiver goes down
Some delicious irony would be the return of Bailey and Bailey scoring the winning points against the Argos in the Grey cup.
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Everyone think back to how long it took Lemon to sign with someone in 2023.  He was needed and wanted by many teams (maybe including us?) for many weeks.  But he didn't jump on anything.  Then finally after more weeks he ups with MTL.

My guess is Lemon kept holding out for more and more $$ and eventually got it when a team got desperate enough.

Ya, so maybe that's Bailey.  The offer$ are probably pretty low right now (I think ELC+$20k), and he knows he can wait for more injuries to make teams more desperate.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 01, 2024, 02:46:37 PMHe didn't even make two months in Toronto.

I think we can read between the lines.

As a fantasy player, I can tell you that no receiver in TOR has been any good (mostly because of Dukes), at least not across several weeks.  Bailey was getting good clutch conversions for them and decent yards and even a TD or 2(?).  And he is one of the best blocking WR in the CFL.  And he basically never breaks.

So a known quantity that is extremely consistent and no upside.  Vs someone like Johnson here who has vast upside but hasn't proven squat yet.  Johnson might be a Lawler next year, who knows, but he's not even remotely a Bailey right now.  So it depends what you're working towards and what you need right now.

Me?  I'd take Bailey.
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

Ed Tait says the Bombers already have the same type of player in Clercius and this is one reason we are not going all out for Bailey. Lawler back soon too. I think the window to sign him here is closing fast.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Waffler on August 02, 2024, 01:34:14 PMEd Tait says the Bombers already have the same type of player in Clercius and this is one reason we are not going all out for Bailey. Lawler back soon too. I think the window to sign him here is closing fast.

I think when they asked O'Shea about it and he answers that "we like the guys we have", he's telling you politely that they don't want him.

dd

The signing of Bailey is a dead issue, he's not coming here

TecnoGenius

Johnson still not producing much in games.  How many dresses so far?  How many yards?  Take out Buck's fascination with the Johnson hitch screen and he'd have like 2 catches for 10Y.

Lucky clearly has earned a spot.

So is the idea Lawler will be back in a minute and Johnson is the musical-chairs loser?  I guess I could live with that.

Clercius is ok and may be a future Woli, but right now he's not as good as Bailey.  He's dropped some that Bailey would have caught.  And his blocking isn't great (witness all the failed Johnson hitch screens).
Never go full Rider!