suggested trade

Started by Pete, July 29, 2024, 11:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

what would you guys think of making a trade with the elks... Tyrell Ford for an offensive lineman  ie Brett Boyko?
Ford would have a lot of appeal for elk fans, and we seem to be able to find dbs.

Sir Blue and Gold

It's an interesting idea but I don't love it. We can fix our offensive line problems in the offseason. We can't add another very good Canadian corner as easily.

Additionally, retaining talented Canadians gives us more options to fix the offensive line. A higher percentage chance at fixing the issue quickly is adding American guards. We need Canadians at other positions to do that.

The best solutions are more medium term. Plus Edmonton has two really good corners at the moment.

Blueforlife

Blue In BC

T. Ford is a potential free agent going into 2025. So are Neufeld and Dobson.

While it was suggested we can fix the OL during the off season, that is not what happened in the last off season. We haven't even resolved our RT issue after losing Hardrick. Obviously a lot can happen in free agency in both directions.

Whether we can retain any of these 3 is unknown at this moment in time.

I don't think I'd trade T. Ford but if the organization " knows " they won't be able to re-sign him due to current conversations, I might have a different take.

He's on an ELC and will want a raise.  If he continues to play well, we may not be able to afford him and / or he will choose to move on. He's an eastern kid so that may factor into the equation.

I'm not sure what Edmonton wants the most or is willing to give up. At some point we're going to have some extra bodies as 6 game IR players become available. Currently we have both Halletts and Kelly as extra Canadian DB's. We have a couple of LB's and an extra WR on the PR.

Technically we have some extra import DB's.

I always like the package trade approach trading volume for 1 etc.  That said you really need to know the contract status, cost of everybody involved.

The Bombers might be approaching some sort of effort to make a trade but what that looks like IDK. Draft picks, neg lists come into play.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

2 parts to this- first no way the Elks trade Ford right now as he ll be starting next game if Jackson has half a brain but we ll see how this plays out and 2, we already have a running 2nd string Qb, don't need 2 of them.

We do need to upgrade our O line. I thought we d just get an nfl cut to do that though

Pete

getting a good olineman is very valuable, vs even a top cdn db, when you look at what you have to pay,, oline is 175+ while db maxes at 140. the reason edm might go for it is that they need to get fan support and might make it easier to sign both fords next year.
I suggested boyko cause hes currently on a two year deal at 175k.
Its not easy to get a oline man in the off season..if you draft its likely 2-3 yrs before they can start effectively. Free agency - just look at what sask paid Hardrick.

The Zipp

Quote from: dd on July 30, 2024, 12:14:08 AM2 parts to this- first no way the Elks trade Ford right now as he ll be starting next game if Jackson has half a brain but we ll see how this plays out and 2, we already have a running 2nd string Qb, don't need 2 of them.

We do need to upgrade our O line. I thought we d just get an nfl cut to do that though

Tell me you skimmed the original post..without telling me...

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Pete on July 30, 2024, 12:28:14 AMgetting a good olineman is very valuable, vs even a top cdn db, when you look at what you have to pay,, oline is 175+ while db maxes at 140. the reason edm might go for it is that they need to get fan support and might make it easier to sign both fords next year.
Its not easy to get a oline man in the off season..if you draft its likely 2-
Quote from: Pete on July 30, 2024, 12:28:14 AMgetting a good olineman is very valuable, vs even a top cdn db, when you look at what you have to pay,, oline is 175+ while db maxes at 140. the reason edm might go for it is that they need to get fan support and might make it easier to sign both fords next year.
Its not easy to get a oline man in the off season..if you draft its likely 2-3 yrs before they can start effectively. Free agency - just look at what sask paid Hardrick.
3 yrs before they can start effectively. Free agency - just look at what sask paid Hardrick.

You're right. It's workable if there is a deal like that on the table.

On the other hand, when the Bombers were first building that offensive line they went three imports and it worked well. A few different ways to go at it.

dd

Quote from: The Zipp on July 30, 2024, 12:41:47 AMTell me you skimmed the original post..without telling me...

sorry I got my fords mixed up. No I wouldn't trade our Ford, get an import tackle they re out there a lot more than stud nat dbs

ichabod_crane

NFL cuts soon coming. Get some o-lineman ASAP and maybe a big D lineman!! Play 3 or even 4 imports on the o-line if need be.  They have the flexibility to do so. START USING THAT FLEXIBILITY! The sieve o-line HAS TO END ASAP! ;) Like in the Brock days need a SHIELD OF STEEL once again for a less mobile Zach.

theaardvark

Quote from: ichabod_crane on July 30, 2024, 03:12:10 AMNFL cuts soon coming. Get some o-lineman ASAP and maybe a big D lineman!! Play 3 or even 4 imports on the o-line if need be.  They have the flexibility to do so. START USING THAT FLEXIBILITY! The sieve o-line HAS TO END ASAP! ;) Like in the Brock days need a SHIELD OF STEEL once again for a less mobile Zach.

Do you even watch the games?  Oline protection is not an issue, Zach had a very good game.  We lost due to ball security...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: theaardvark on July 30, 2024, 04:40:42 AMDo you even watch the games?  Oline protection is not an issue, Zach had a very good game.  We lost due to ball security...

Have you watched ALL 8 games and the pre-season?! One or 2 good games by Zach is not indicative of the season. You have rose coloured glasses on my friend. Breakdowns all over the place. Read my various posts.

No "offence" to you, but I don't blame it ALL on the o-line either but mainly on the entire offence and coaching too. Don't cherry pick one little area I comment on as that is not the entire story in my mind. This is not my first dance in following the Bombers or the CFL or football in general. I will admit when I'm wrong as I don't have an ego to soothe. I call it as I see it though, right or wrong....just my OPINION and if you differ so be it! That's why it's great to live in a "free" country where we can argue in peace! ;) :D

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on July 30, 2024, 04:40:42 AMDo you even watch the games?  Oline protection is not an issue, Zach had a very good game.  We lost due to ball security...

It was both.  Watch again.  OL was hideous.  Worst pass-pro game of the season.  Just awful.  Zach getting blown up on many passing downs.  Waaaay too many hits for his age.  Even Zach was getting frustrated with the turnstiles, as others have noticed.

Just because Zach seems to have stepped up better despite (because of?) the pressure, doesn't mean a holey OL is a good thing.

I'm going to rewatch the game soon watching just the OL and I'll report back.  It ain't gonna be good.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on July 29, 2024, 11:15:40 PMwhat would you guys think of making a trade with the elks... Tyrell Ford for an offensive lineman  ie Brett Boyko?
Ford would have a lot of appeal for elk fans, and we seem to be able to find dbs.

Interesting idea.  I wouldn't be against ditching Ford.  We don't need the ratio and he's not a world beater by any stretch (yet?).  But I would be shopping for a top IMP OL.  They are cheaper to hang onto than top NATs (usually).

We need to reexamine what we did with Bond... where did he come from?  What position was he playing?  Was he starting?  Did we take an OT and turn him into an OG?  Whatever we did with Bond, let's do that again.  Let's get an IMP OG.  Keep rolling with Lofton @OT just a bit longer: he may not be the worst problem.

If it's so hard to find IMP OL in scouting (why is this so??) then steal one from another team like Bond, Stan and Yoshi.  Find the guy who played OG all through college and is being shoehorned into OT and bring him here for cheap and make him OG!

You can't say it's a crazy idea, because we did it with Bond!!

(All that said, if we do trade Ford for an IMP anything, you need to also get a high DP to even up the value.)
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

I just hit up the old press articles...

Travis Bond was brought in before TC by our scouts in 2016.  So it is not a myth we can find good NFL castoffs (7th round DP) who can play OG and slot in very quickly (first year) despite the neutral zone difference.

He instantly made our OL go from hot garbage to monster in pass-pro (happy Nichols) and the run game (AH33 rejoiced).

We spotted and hired the guy, not any other CFL team.

So let's do that again.  The "fake" USA leagues are done, look at their cast-offs.  The NFL will be cutting soon.  Bring in another Bond.  Cheap (IMP rookie) and within our ratio!
Never go full Rider!