Rourke released, Signed by Atlanta...and released again AND SIGNS WITH BC

Started by Blue In BC, July 28, 2024, 02:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on August 16, 2024, 02:56:35 AMI probably watch more football than Farhan - I don't think Rourke is top 20 in cfl/nfl QB

I would tend to agree.  A bit of a surprise statement.  Maybe "homer" optimism?

So would you say Rourke is a #2, #3 or #4 level NFL QB?  I can't say, because I don't watch NFL.
Never go full Rider!

The Zipp

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 16, 2024, 03:40:09 AMI would tend to agree.  A bit of a surprise statement.  Maybe "homer" optimism?

So would you say Rourke is a #2, #3 or #4 level NFL QB?  I can't say, because I don't watch NFL.

Want to see how Rourke looks starting a game or two and how the qb depth charts in the nfl look. 

32 teams in the nfl - hard to say that rourke is better than a starter in the NFL - teams may start a high profile rookie, maybe they were better in college than Rourke ?

Quick thought would be Rourke ranked late 30's.   Dude has had chances in the NFL - it isn't like he was passed over. 

On some teams he would #2 and some #3

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 16, 2024, 02:54:09 AMI think it was the bad showing in the PS game that convinced Rourke & his agent that he wasn't going to see the field this season no matter what.  I think part of the decision process is being stuck in #4 with no hope of advancing.

Do you really think no other NFL team would take a stab at PR'ing him this season?  So do you then think he won't get another NFL shot even if he wins the next 2 GCs?

Farhan thinks he 100% is at least NFL #2 material.  He called him "top 20 in NFL" just the other day.  Of course, that's Farhan, so who knows.

I think it's safe to say that there's a ton of factors going into Rourke's decision-making.  But I do know that money is a top-3 consideration.  So it's imperative he can earn the same or more here as #1 as he can as NFL PR #4.

I think his current prospects have dried up. In order to engineer new ones, he needs to put more playing time on tape that isn't his 3/11 performance from Atlanta. Right now, that's the most current and relevant tape that team will bring up to evaluate him.

SO his best chance to an opportunity in the NFL, at this point, is to return to the CFL and light the world on fire again to try and parlay that into an actual camp opportunity next next season, or simply accept that he is a CFL lifer.

The CFL money is and has always been here.

A completely separate point from Rourke's specific situation. Even if we raised the cap by a million or two for the sole purpose of raiding NFL PR's of their QBs. Not only would players not come, but CFL teams wouldn't do it. How many QBs come here and look good right away? You think teams are going to offer the high end money before they prove themselves? Any salary cap increase goes to the guys already making top money.

I don't know how you're engineering this in your head, but it can't work in practice. It already played out in the 90's. All that happened is the league nearly went bankrupt and a bunch of players didn't get the money they were promised (Dunigan is an example that comes to mind).
My wife is amazing!

markf

There are many examples proving that the NFL system is wonky. Things other than ability are involved in who gets to play and who does not.

QB examples.... You all know them.

Best current example... Brock Purdy/Trey Lance.  lol.    Kurt Warner. Tony Romo. Justin Fields. Johnny Manziel.

Not being drafted, or not being played doesn't mean that much. There is a massive amount of behind the scenes corporate manouevering, and salesmanship with everything NFL related.

Waffler

The NFL gets a billion per year from their tv contract alone, billion with a B. Any attempt to poach players is doomed to fail. We should endeavor to pay within our ability, for the players that are willing to come. That's why I support the salary cap and get upset when anyone (BC the latest) tries to set new highs that are not sustainable. 
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Blue In BC

Quote from: Waffler on August 16, 2024, 01:01:51 PMThe NFL gets a billion per year from their tv contract alone, billion with a B. Any attempt to poach players is doomed to fail. We should endeavor to pay within our ability, for the players that are willing to come. That's why I support the salary cap and get upset when anyone (BC the latest) tries to set new highs that are not sustainable.

I think the way the marketing money was explained, that the Lions are playing inside the rules. Using the full minimum money and then some on one player does create an issue with their roster.

While they can still have contracts with marketing money, the rest goes to the normal SMS.

I do think it will have some negative aspect in needing to trim some bigger salaries going into 2025.

Whether it's a QB or receiver or RB that get a new bigger deal, it does have a trickle down effect on the rest of the roster.

We say that impact on the Bomber with new deals for Oliveria and Schoen. When somebody gets more, somebody else gets less. It's just simple math. Trying to get the best bang for the dollar is not always easy.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

pdirks67

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 16, 2024, 03:21:12 PMI think the way the marketing money was explained, that the Lions are playing inside the rules. Using the full minimum money and then some on one player does create an issue with their roster.

While they can still have contracts with marketing money, the rest goes to the normal SMS.

I do think it will have some negative aspect in needing to trim some bigger salaries going into 2025.

Whether it's a QB or receiver or RB that get a new bigger deal, it does have a trickle down effect on the rest of the roster.

We say that impact on the Bomber with new deals for Oliveria and Schoen. When somebody gets more, somebody else gets less. It's just simple math. Trying to get the best bang for the dollar is not always easy.

Do we know that the "rest goes to normal SMS"? It seems like this is up for debate, according to Derek Taylor, among others? Either way, Rourke is great for the league and the CFL is better for it. But we need to have a proper salary cap to keep the league viable.

Blue In BC

Quote from: pdirks67 on August 16, 2024, 05:45:10 PMDo we know that the "rest goes to normal SMS"? It seems like this is up for debate, according to Derek Taylor, among others? Either way, Rourke is great for the league and the CFL is better for it. But we need to have a proper salary cap to keep the league viable.

That's the way it was explained and that makes sense IMO. It allows the team a " marketing cap " of that $110K outside the SMS. That's affordable to each team. Anything more falling inside the SMS means it falls into the overall SMS rules. Go over and there is a fine and potential loss of draft picks.

All of this allows players to be paid for off the field marketing and still maintaining a level field in the SMS. It's like the SMS is Plan A and the marketing is small Plan 1a on top of it as an exemption.

In the same way there is an exemption from the 6 game IR rule allowing players extended being able to come out after game 7 without penalty.

Lawler has missed 8 games on the 6 game IR. Assuming he comes out this week, he'd be exempt for the extra 2 games spent on the 6 game IR.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

TBURGESS

The marketing cap is a minimum, not a maximum number as defined in the CBA. 
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Jesse

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 16, 2024, 06:38:30 PMThe marketing cap is a minimum, not a maximum number as defined in the CBA.

The CBA defines a "total expenditure cap" that is the salary cap + the marketing minimum. It seems very black and white to me.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

If BC is paying $200k marketing, then it has to be to a separate entity, a marketing company that he can write stuff off on, and divert funds in a way that has tax advantages.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on August 16, 2024, 10:26:31 PMIf BC is paying $200k marketing, then it has to be to a separate entity, a marketing company that he can write stuff off on, and divert funds in a way that has tax advantages.

No...it's in a contract with his name on it. This is just a part of how the contract is structured, just like some may come as a bonus or as housing, or as a performance objective.
My wife is amazing!

TBURGESS

Quote from: Jesse on August 16, 2024, 10:21:43 PMThe CBA defines a "total expenditure cap" that is the salary cap + the marketing minimum. It seems very black and white to me.

Lets say you're right. What is the advantage/reason to give Rourke $200K as marketing money instead of salary or signing bonus?
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Jesse

Quote from: TBURGESS on August 16, 2024, 11:10:57 PMLets say you're right. What is the advantage/reason to give Rourke $200K as marketing money instead of salary or signing bonus?

What's the advantage to do it as a salary bonus as opposed to marketing money?

My gut reaction is that they are going to want him to make some appearances and the marketing money is tied to that expectation. That is what the money is intended for, after all.
My wife is amazing!

Go_Big_D

warren moon played 6 seasons in the cfl before hitting the nfl....rourke will be in the cfl for a few years at the least