Rourke released, Signed by Atlanta...and released again AND SIGNS WITH BC

Started by Blue In BC, July 28, 2024, 02:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Zipp

According to the CBA anything over 110k counts towards the cap.

DM83

Rourke would be gone in a second.
Rourke made the decision, and the same day Minnesota loses their franchise QB.
What if....

Rourke and VAJ play a similar style game, only Rourke is seemingly a little less of a liability, from what I remember. VAJ is also productive, but injury prone. How can BC afford both guys?

blue_or_die

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 14, 2024, 04:31:13 PMI think Rourke starting this game is a clear sign of Amar Doman exerting his will directly on the lineup, it's his money and he's going to get what he wants every single time. Rick Campbell has no choice but to go along even if that isn't the ideal way to handle the situation.

I'd be surprised if Doman hasn't signed Rourke to a personal services contract which requires him to commit to the Lions for 3 years, even if that doesn't meet the requirements of  the CBA. Unlikely he allows Rourke the option of going back to the NFL after shelling out such a big investment in him.

This put a pleasant image in my head of Rourke sweating balls cutting Doman's (I imagine) very large lawn while he smokes a cigar on his porch.
#Ride?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on August 11, 2024, 06:37:31 AMHow much, in your wildest unrealistic dreams, are you planning to offer Rourke et al?

"$749,200 in hard money in 2025 and $809,000 in hard money in 2026"

That's how much!  LOL.

And thus proves my entire premise that if we could squeeze just a bit more into the SMS we could actually lure perennial-PR NFL prospects up here to actually play and earn the same (or better!) money.

That said, BC is (kinda) doing it the wrong way because the total SMS has not increased by the required $0.5M-$1.0M we postulated, but instead is "pulling a Claybrooks" and hamstringing the team with an overpaid QB.  Well... or not, because it turns out $200k of that is fake money not on the SMS.  Doh.

BC found the "cheat codes".
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on August 11, 2024, 09:27:30 PMThe only evidence we have of Rourke in the CFL is says he's pretty **** good. There's no evidence yet to suggest otherwise.

'22 WDF.  There's your evidence he may not be God.  Stunk up the joint and was last seen crying as he slinks off to the NFL PR squad.

And '22 was with Burnham, who by himself was worth at least 2 of the superstar Rs they have now.  Best hands in the CFL in an entire decade.

Don't get me wrong, I think he'll light up this league if he stays in; but you asked for any evidence he can stink.  So I provided it.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 13, 2024, 05:35:52 PMWhat it might suggest is that Adams may be bounced to the 6 game IR. He isn't starting this week so his injury and the acquisition of Rourke may change his current status. It would also improve the SMS impact if he was added to 6 game IR.

VAJ should have been on the 6GIR the day after our last game.  Not doing so was moronic and added no value.  If they put him on now, do they lose 1 or 2 weeks of not being on the 6G?  That SMS is desperately needed to shoehorn in Rourke's salary.  What team has $250k SMS just laying around come Aug 13??
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 13, 2024, 05:41:06 PMI'd guess Sask. or Ham. as the most likely landing spots for V.A. next season.

VAJ is looking so great the past 1.5 seasons because he has a very strong team around him.  If he goes back to a jokesville team he will go back to being hot/cold VAJ, and getting injured all the time.

That said, BC will need to shed his contract in '25.  I could see SSK making a huge play for VAJ if Trevor is clearly useless going into the post-season.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ichabod_crane on August 13, 2024, 06:26:19 PMIF LIONS LOSE this coming game, they lose the season series to the Bombers and maybe lose first place in the end. So those are the reasons Rourke may get pushed in...If they had a nice cushion at the top of the West a different story.

It seems abundantly clear that BC desperately wants to win #1 in W so they can play WDF in their cushy warm barn in their t-shirts and shorts.  They really don't want to end up in cold SSK or WPG like the last 2 seasons.

I think they are counting on it.  They are like us in '21... making a clear effort to plan & win #1 so they get the easy 1-home-game path to the cup.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: peg_city on August 14, 2024, 03:30:10 PMI wonder if this frees up Mathieu Betts if he gets cut

We couldn't possibly find the SMS, unless it was just for like 2 games + playoffs.

But can you imagine us with a DL containing both Willie and Betts?!?!  Unstoppable.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on August 14, 2024, 06:43:12 PMAccording to the CBA anything over 110k counts towards the cap.

Then square that circle.  BC just outright cheating?  Or promising impossible things now then going back to Rourke in FA and saying "oops, my bad, you get $90k less, doh!".
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 15, 2024, 05:46:52 AM"$749,200 in hard money in 2025 and $809,000 in hard money in 2026"

That's how much!  LOL.

And thus proves my entire premise that if we could squeeze just a bit more into the SMS we could actually lure perennial-PR NFL prospects up here to actually play and earn the same (or better!) money.

That said, BC is (kinda) doing it the wrong way because the total SMS has not increased by the required $0.5M-$1.0M we postulated, but instead is "pulling a Claybrooks" and hamstringing the team with an overpaid QB.  Well... or not, because it turns out $200k of that is fake money not on the SMS.  Doh.

BC found the "cheat codes".

It proves the opposite actually. This is how much they were willing to pay him and he still took off to go the NFL PR thing for 1.5 seasons.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 15, 2024, 05:51:43 AMVAJ should have been on the 6GIR the day after our last game.  Not doing so was moronic and added no value.  If they put him on now, do they lose 1 or 2 weeks of not being on the 6G?  That SMS is desperately needed to shoehorn in Rourke's salary.  What team has $250k SMS just laying around come Aug 13??

IIRC a team can place a player on 6 game IR retroactively. Now that they've released Dolegala and their PR QB, that is unlikely to happen.

Whether Adams is able to play if needed in the short term is a TBD.

IMO they should have IR'd him. Barring injury to Rourke, he won't be seeing much more playing time in 2024.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 15, 2024, 02:01:31 PMHow much more is Dolegala over Terry Wilson? Just wondering!

Wilson must be very close to the bottom on a 1st year ELC. Dolegala was at $110K with $15K of that up front. Now that he's a free agent, his ask may be closer to an ELC?

I don't think Dolegala has long term upside but we don't don't know much about Wilson either. He could be fighting for # 2 in 2025 or gone altogether. No real idea.

Dolegala has more experience at the moment.

I don't think the Bombers will look to bringing him in but I didn't think Rourke would be back in the CFL in 2024!!
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 15, 2024, 02:24:06 PMWilson must be very close to the bottom on a 1st year ELC. Dolegala was at $110K with $15K of that up front. Now that he's a free agent, his ask may be closer to an ELC?

I don't think Dolegala has long term upside but we don't don't know much about Wilson either. He could be fighting for # 2 in 2025 or gone altogether. No real idea.

Dolegala has more experience at the moment.

I don't think the Bombers will look to bringing him in but I didn't think Rourke would be back in the CFL in 2024!!

What if we offer ELC + $25,000 to sign autographs in the back of a moving pick-up truck driven by Boomer around the U of M campus. The truck will have flashing strobe lights. He will also make an appearance at SuperLite where he can show customers how easy it is for him to change the lights out of even the highest fixtures. Deal?