Rourke released, Signed by Atlanta...and released again AND SIGNS WITH BC

Started by Blue In BC, July 28, 2024, 02:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueforlife

Hopefully comes back, doesn't matter who gets him makes the league stronger

Will go to highest bidder

Could he get 750k?

DCM

If someone is willing to over pay him, sure.
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

Blue In BC

Quote from: Blueforlife on July 28, 2024, 09:27:04 PMHopefully comes back, doesn't matter who gets him makes the league stronger

Will go to highest bidder

Could he get 750k?

Over paying players, especially QB's hurts the rest of a given teams roster. See BC Lions and Reilly getting nearly that much. It cost them and they tanked.

I've said a few times that we over payed Collaros. Not because he may not have been the best QB at that moment in time, but because it cost us elsewhere on the roster.

It's still costing us in 2024 in trying to retain players we wanted.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blueforlife

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 28, 2024, 09:32:38 PMOver paying players, especially QB's hurts the rest of a given teams roster. See BC Lions and Reilly getting nearly that much. It cost them and they tanked.

I've said a few times that we over payed Collaros. Not because he may not have been the best QB at that moment in time, but because it cost us elsewhere on the roster.

It's still costing us in 2024 in trying to retain players we wanted.
Collaros was worth every penny until this year.  Yes put a burden on the cap.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Blueforlife on July 28, 2024, 09:50:57 PMCollaros was worth every penny until this year.  Yes put a burden on the cap.

Like I said, it has to do with how it impacts the rest of the roster. If he had been earning $100K less would we have been able to retain Sayles for example?

The until this year is an interesting comment. Again, would we have been able to retain Jeffcoat, Hardrick, Grey, Walker, Bailey and Grant?

Obviously a few of those players are no longer playing. Collaros took a pay cut but I'm not sure how much.

So what he is worth is not the discussion. The SMS is a fixed amount and other players wanted more as well.

I did point out the same problem when the Lions gave Reilly that big increase. He was the best QB in the CFL at the time but they lost talent and suffered accordingly. Every team will have a different tipping point. In 2024 we gave Schoen and Oliveria more money. I don't think anyone would say they didn't earn that money. Unfortunately Schoen was injured very early.

However, between Collaros earlier deal and those deals it meant parting ways with the others I mentioned.

That issue will be something teams consider when making offers to Rourke.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Copied from the Lionbackers site:

I expect he will play the rest of the NFL season by ear. The optimal time for him to return to the CFL is in the offseaso when the market potentially opens up to all 9 teams. If he were to try now not all teams are in a position to make the sort of long term big $ contract he would want and should expect. Also many incumbent QBs are fast approaching the point whereby their contracts are guaranteed.

For instance Winnipeg would have to cut Collaros before their next game. Similarly with Edmonton playing Hamilton tonight the Elks, Ticats, Als, Riders and Lions have only 1 more game's grace before having to make a decision on the contracts of MBT, BLM, Fajardo, Harris and VAJ before they become guaranteed. Once the season is over any of those clubs could do whatever is necessary to take a run at Rourke........and that includes BC.

EDIT: Some of those QB's have guaranteed money for 2025 so it's not quite black and white.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

RebusRankin

We owe ZC $250,000 for sure next year. Pretty sure he's the guy in 2025.

Nic16

Quote from: RebusRankin on July 29, 2024, 08:57:20 PMWe owe ZC $250,000 for sure next year. Pretty sure he's the guy in 2025.

IF Rourke decides to come back to the CFL next year I think the BB's would have to make unprecedented moves in order to be a serious player for Rourke.

1. Be willing to eat Zac's $250G bonus/cap hit. Thank him for the 2 cups & turning this franchise around.
2. Unload a few expensive vets to offset the sunken cost of Zach's gratuity bonus.
3. Be willing to go all-in and be the bully at the negotiation table.

Wade (and Kyle) would need to be fully invested in making

DCM

@TSNDaveNaylor
Nathan Rourke is flying to Atlanta Tuesday for a Wednesday workout with the @AtlantaFalcons. Atlanta put in a waiver claim for him back in the spring but lost-out to the @Giants. #NFL
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

ichabod_crane

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on July 28, 2024, 04:56:36 PMMaybe BC gets Rourke and we get Vern Adams?

Nyet. Adams has NOT proven JACK yet as I mean in championships or even MVP's. He's good, but not as good as Rourke from the sample sizes we know so far.

Could save a bundle though probably over Rourke. We shall have to wait and see what plays out. 

ichabod_crane

He's done! He may hang around holding a clipboard as 3rd/4th string this season, but he is going nowhere unless a rash of injured QB's happens. He's too small for the NFL or at least in the minds of many coaches and fans down south. Doug Flutie got caught in team politics, yet was by far the better starter for Buffalo in his second stint in the NFL. Buffalo royally choked on that decision many moons ago. All Dougie did was win for the most part. Potential means jack if you don't develop it or use it. 

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: ichabod_crane on July 29, 2024, 11:07:35 PMNyet. Adams has proven JACK yet. Could save a bundle though probably.
Yokes! Ok :D
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

dd

We won't be player in the rourke sweepstakes —price will be too high with our cap issues. I do see us taking a run at Adam's if rourke signs with bc but bc will only have so much cap space too

ichabod_crane

Quote from: dd on July 30, 2024, 02:20:27 AMWe won't be player in the rourke sweepstakes —price will be too high with our cap issues. I do see us taking a run at Adam's if rourke signs with bc but bc will only have so much cap space too

Yeah you would hope with the disaster they had not long ago they would learn not to go crazy with giving a QB insane money UNLESS THEY have a ton of cap room somehow left for next season.