Rourke released, Signed by Atlanta...and released again AND SIGNS WITH BC

Started by Blue In BC, July 28, 2024, 02:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 10, 2024, 01:41:42 AMI'm not crying, and I don't care what QBs make compared to doctors.  All that matters is what QBs make in the CFL compared to the NFL.  And not #1 to #1, but #1 to #4 or #5.  I want us to give rot-on-PR guys the option of staying here.

I don't want to get into the weeds, because it's irrelevant, but the counterargument to "they're paid so much, more than doctors!" is "ya, but they only get paid that for maybe 5 years then they are back to flipping burgers or selling cars".  A doctor or lawyer will leverage their education and training for 30-50 years of high income.  A football player will be lucky to get 5 years of peak pay (ELC years don't count).

Don't put words in my mouth.  I didn't call any team or player pathetic.  What is pathetic is the CFL can't pay Rourke as much to be our league-best superstar #1 QB as the NFL can to hold a clipboard as #4 or #5 QB.

And others have shown that we're not off by too much.  It's not outlandish or impossible.

I'll let you reflect on the bolded words above.  Thanks for proving my point!  QED

You miss my point.  The league is the league, the cap creates the salary structure, and a top QB earns less than a PR player in the states.  That is the dynamic, it is the opposite of proving your point.  Top QB makes twice the top WR, 2-3x the top D players, and close to 10x the minimum wage.  It would be like the crew leader at a McDonalds making $140/hr.  QB's get a very high premium, more than 10% of the budget for a 45 man roster.

Adding to the cap doesn't mean it all goes to the QB, it will mean that the min wage goes up, and everyone gets a raise.  Adding $1million (20%) means a top QB goes to $700k. 

If you want to give QBs an outrageous salary package, then take QB1 salary outside the team $SMS, or better the whole QB room.  Put the team $SMS to $4.5mil, and make a QB room cap of $1.5 mil.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Can't really compare an NFL PR player to a starting QB in terms of salary, by it's nature the PR player is in a temporary situation that may last anywhere from a few weeks to a max. of a couple of years, whereas a starting QB in the CFL usually receiving the equivalent pay for 5-10 years on average.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on August 11, 2024, 12:00:12 AMAdding to the cap doesn't mean it all goes to the QB, it will mean that the min wage goes up, and everyone gets a raise.  Adding $1million (20%) means a top QB goes to $700k

That's precisely what was said when the convo started, by whoever ran the numbers first (J5V? Pete? Someone can check).  And that's precisely what we are saying.  If $1M more means top QB can equal NFL PR pay, then that's the ideal to aim for.  No one is saying just pay the QB more.

Who knows, maybe the CFL can add 10% more butts in seats every year for the next 5 years.  Then maybe it will be feasible.  There certainly are a lot of empty seats available!  And I think people really are keen to go out more and more.

Quote from: Jesse on August 10, 2024, 02:35:53 AMIf you were not aware, the CFL tried doing a "cap exempt" player before. The QBs all got paid more money than they're even making now, but the CFL was unable to recruit any new players from NFL PRs who weren't already here. It changed absolutely nothing.

Interesting.  I'll take your word for it.  Maybe it can't lure "green" Americans, but it still could work in this Rourke case.  Guess we won't know until we try.  And it certainly can't hurt to retain all players in general, keeping them from retirement or extended NFL tryouts (a la Bighill's adventure).
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 11, 2024, 04:48:30 AMThat's precisely what was said when the convo started, by whoever ran the numbers first (J5V? Pete? Someone can check).  And that's precisely what we are saying.  If $1M more means top QB can equal NFL PR pay, then that's the ideal to aim for.  No one is saying just pay the QB more.

Who knows, maybe the CFL can add 10% more butts in seats every year for the next 5 years.  Then maybe it will be feasible.  There certainly are a lot of empty seats available!  And I think people really are keen to go out more and more.

Interesting.  I'll take your word for it.  Maybe it can't lure "green" Americans, but it still could work in this Rourke case.  Guess we won't know until we try.  And it certainly can't hurt to retain all players in general, keeping them from retirement or extended NFL tryouts (a la Bighill's adventure).

How much, in your wildest unrealistic dreams, are you planning to offer Rourke et al?
My wife is amazing!

DM83

I don't think Rourke plays in the weekend. I wonder if he is even getting reps in practice.  I think he is done.  Best to head back up. And save someone's season in Canada. Hamilton looked awful. Bc would be wise to secure him as he would be a legend up there for the next 15 years. Send the Hawaiian to Anywhere. Send Bo back to Calgary.Maier struggles to put up more than 150 yards a game, not that Mitchell will either. He has the good stats.  Weird

winbear

Quote from: DM83 on August 11, 2024, 10:14:22 AMI don't think Rourke plays in the weekend. I wonder if he is even getting reps in practice.  I think he is done.  Best to head back up. And save someone's season in Canada. Hamilton looked awful. Bc would be wise to secure him as he would be a legend up there for the next 15 years. Send the Hawaiian to Anywhere. Send Bo back to Calgary.Maier struggles to put up more than 150 yards a game, not that Mitchell will either. He has the good stats.  Weird
Rourke played in the game against Miami the other day, so he's obviously getting reps.  Didn't play great, but nobody on the Falcons did.

The Zipp

Rourke released again...dude had a shot to impress and did the opposite. 

Where to next?

Full story from 3rd down:

The Atlanta Falcons have released Canadian quarterback Nathan Rourke following Week 1 of the NFL preseason.

Rourke played the entire fourth quarter for Atlanta in the Falcons' first preseason game against the Miami Dolphins on Friday night, leading four drives with two resulting in three-and-out punts and two in turnovers on downs. The former CFL star completed 3-of-13 passes for 37 yards — although there were three catchable passes dropped — plus two runs for 24 yards. James Washington could not snag a pass in the end zone from Rourke and OJ Hiliaire was unable to haul in multiple throws, including a well-placed fade ball on Atlanta's last offensive snap.

Veteran QB Kirk Cousins did not play, eighth overall pick Michael Penix Jr. completed 9-of-16 passes for 104 yards while Taylor Heinicke completed 4-of-11 passes for 11 yards during his time on the field. Rourke and Heinicke were competing for the third-string role behind Cousins and Penix Jr.

In a corresponding move, the Falcons brought back undrafted free agent quarterback John Paddock, a rookie out of the University of Illinois, who was waived when Rourke signed with the team.

Rourke joined Atlanta on August 1 following a successful workout, marking the latest stop on a circuitous NFL journey which has included four teams in just over a calendar year. The 26-year-old was waived four days prior after starting training camp with the New York Giants. He joined the G-Men on May 7 as a waiver pickup from New England.

The Falcons reportedly put in a waiver claim on the six-foot-one, 210-pound QB at the same time as the Giants, though New York secured his rights with a higher waiver priority. Atlanta head coach Raheem Morris said Rourke was "very high" on his team's list of potential pickups and someone the staff wanted to see "get some action."

Rourke was named the Canadian Football League's Most Outstanding Canadian after starting 10 games for the B.C. Lions in 2022, completing 78.7 percent of his passes for 3,349 yards with 25 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He rushed 39 times for 304 yards and seven touchdowns despite missing eight games with a Lisfranc injury.

The Oakville-raised, Victoria-born QB spent the 2023 season with the Jacksonville Jaguars and Patriots and was active for six regular season games, earning $519,688 USD. He completed 65.7 percent of his passes for 348 yards with one touchdown during the preseason last year with Jacksonville while carrying the ball 14 times for 39 yards and one score.

Rourke will now go on waivers with a chance to be claimed by all 31 other NFL teams over the next 24 hours.

pdirks67

Almost certainly a blessing in disguise to get out of Atlanta. There's no path to playing time for the Falcons.

Blue In BC

2019 Grey Cup Champions

The Zipp

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 11, 2024, 08:56:35 PMThat didn't last long.

Not a great sign. 

What if Rourke actually isn't very good?  His 8 good games in the cfl were an aberration and he is mediocre.

J5V

Quote from: The Zipp on August 11, 2024, 09:00:28 PMNot a great sign. 

What if Rourke actually isn't very good?  His 8 good games in the cfl were an aberration and he is mediocre.
Maybe he's not the same after his injury. Injuries can mess with your head.
Go Bombers!

DCM

If the Giants aren't already on the phone to bring him back, I'll be upset. He'd be #2 instantly over that Italian guy and Jones is one limp away from out of the NFL which would make Rourke the starter.
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

Jesse

Quote from: The Zipp on August 11, 2024, 09:00:28 PMNot a great sign. 

Think of all the CFL greats who didn't get an opportunity in the NFL.

The only evidence we have of Rourke in the CFL is says he's pretty **** good. There's no evidence yet to suggest otherwise.
My wife is amazing!

Pete

Cant see any other team putting in a claim especially considering how quickly Atlanta dumped him
He needs to get back into cfl to re-establish some credibility

The Zipp

Quote from: Jesse on August 11, 2024, 09:27:30 PMThink of all the CFL greats who didn't get an opportunity in the NFL.

The only evidence we have of Rourke in the CFL is says he's pretty **** good. There's no evidence yet to suggest otherwise.

I would say that Rourke is actually getting an opportunity in the NFL...he just isn't succeeding.