Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Toronto July 27, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, July 26, 2024, 04:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: markf on July 31, 2024, 06:27:06 PMYes. Almost like the blitzing got it started, then wasn't needed after that.

It's odd that zach had time first half,,then didn't second half.

argos changed something, Bombers did not adjust.

They were already getting through to Zach in Q2.  Q2 and Q3 were awful for OL, Q1 and Q4 were near spotless.  TOR adjusted quickly after no pressure in Q1, and we couldn't counter the pressure until Q4.  They were faster at adjusting than we were, which doesn't surprise me.

However, we did adjust in Q4, so Buck et al get credit for that.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on July 31, 2024, 03:32:59 PMNot sure how they adjudicate what to call or when, but it seems that the self same issue is coming up with PI and RTP.  Seems to be a subjective component which does not seem to favour our team in the least.

Yes and yes.  However, holding calls haven't been egregiously bad and changing game outcomes like DPI have been this season.  And usually with holds it's not the called ones that are bad/wrong (like you said, every snap has a hold), it's the egregious ones they let slide and the opponent QB gets a 50Y TD on you: those are the ones that sting.

We must be careful we don't give the refs any ideas to make our games worse!
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 31, 2024, 01:30:43 PMEven from the screenshot it looks like the block is basically happening along the LOS near where the tight end would have been. I highly, highly doubt the rules committee was trying to get this play out of the game. There is nothing wrong with it.

To me the "TE position" isn't the "last guy on the line", it's the (optional) 3rd guy out from the C on either side who is tight to the box (not wide out).  This is my interpretation, and I'm open to correction here.  The rule book is completely silent on what a TE or "TE position" is(!), even though they use those words in this new rule.

You're saying that TE is "last guy on the line".  If you are correct, then the play in question is not a penalty.  And if you're right, given a FG line formation usually is 5-LS-4 (sides can be swapped), does that mean the 5 side alone has 2 "TEs"?  That's not how I understand it.

However, I'm pretty sure the spirit of the rule is to define what the "box" is and change what is legal in and outside of that box.  There are other rules that reference the idea of this "box" (though the term isn't used as such).
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 01, 2024, 06:41:20 AMWe must be careful we don't give the refs any ideas to make our games worse!
football is a game played with emotion and on the edge. The best officials in any league find and establish the balance and then let the teams play. We're not seeing that at all and I'm not sure how to do what you propose. If you're consistently finding yourself on the wrong end of the officiating scale you're kinda hooped.
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on July 28, 2024, 01:47:16 AMCarey wasn't even down yet and the clock had already stopped. Techno?

OLD THREAD DO NOT USE FOR THIS WEEK'S GAMES!

I just wanted to answer J5V here, it was on my todo list and I hadn't gotten around to it yet.  I always answer requests!  (Just a little late on this missed one)

I re-checked this last regulation TOR drive and the clock timer was pretty good.  He/she may have been jumping the whistle by a few tenths of a second when it was clear the player was down (both Carey(twice) and Arbuckle)... they aren't supposed to do that, but the timers are (generally) homers so this stuff happens.

Either that or they are the fastest "gun" in the West East and can press that button when they hear the whistle with 0.0 seconds latency!

Verdict: pretty standard in the CFL; my gut says timer was following the action on-field rather than the whistle; worst one was Carey's first run, but all were off by under a second.  So I wouldn't get too worked up about this one.  (They were also very fast starting the clock too... maybe too much coffee?)

(What a crap last 2 mins and O/T in this loss that should have been a win... now I'm bummed out about it again!)
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 19, 2024, 07:18:05 AM(What a crap last 2 mins and O/T in this loss that should have been a win... now I'm bummed out about it again!)
Sorry about that, LOL, and thanks for following through. The timers are definitely homers. The officials are always telling the timers to put time back on the clock after the coach's complain. It happens almost every game.
Go Bombers!