Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Toronto July 27, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, July 26, 2024, 04:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markf

I watched the highlights of Toronto game on YouTube. Can't find them on the tsn mess.

First half the o line was decent, zach had time to throw, moved the ball, but could not score touchdowns. Let Argos hang around.

When blitz is clearly coming, (second half) bombers O did not seem to realize it and dump it off. Zach dropped back. Looking downfield.

Their quick play across the middle is to Brady. Did not seem effective.  Maybe the wrong guy.  He is not fast enough to make that a bigger gain. Use somebody quick there. Play seemed to be open.maybe not Demski right now.

When Argos started blitzing, game was over. Between Zach and buck, that is a bit surprising.

bombers 9 Garbutt  was held a lot. He is really good.

Bombers 65 did not look effective, D guys just ran right by him on a few plays.

I think bombers can beat b.c. But not if they can not counter the blitz.

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 30, 2024, 09:08:32 AM1Q5:23 Zach's first TD pass attempt, the failed Woli EZ corner fade, Pokey was single-covered with the D letting him fade while eyeing the QB, which is a sure TD if Zach does the exact same throw (Woli) to the other (Pokey) side.

Zach didn't even look Pokey's way and opted for the double-covered Woli.  If he had stared down Woli (which he did), then eyeball and spot Pokey out the corner of his eye, turn his head last second and toss to the corner, a sure TD.

This failure is on Zach, as Buck gave him 2 options and he chose wrongly.  Shades of the '23 GC...
That type of play is slow developing. Could it be because he knows he doesn't have time to look for option 2?
Go Bombers!

bunker

Quote from: ModAdmin on July 30, 2024, 06:34:58 AMI think you are wrong about Collaros.  The primary problem, aside from all the injuries, is the performance by the Oline.  That situation requires a serious upgrade and if accomplished, will make Zach the MOP-type player he has been.  I'm not sure those kind of upgrades can happen in the middle of a season though.
https://3downnation.com/2024/07/30/yards-without-points-winnipeg-blue-bombers-can-move-football-but-cant-score-touchdowns/

Interesting article

Jesse

Quote from: bunker on July 30, 2024, 10:35:16 PMhttps://3downnation.com/2024/07/30/yards-without-points-winnipeg-blue-bombers-can-move-football-but-cant-score-touchdowns/

Interesting article

Hustler brought this up on Winnipeg Sports Talk today. He's going to be talking to the author tomorrow about it.

Nothing surprising when you read it, but ties everything together pretty nicely. Need to fix that OL somehow. Especially prior to next season.
My wife is amazing!

Pete

The OLine is a big issue right now, but Buck has to run more play action  and more creative running plays into the mix. Our offence is so predictable often the dline is able to anticipate the play and fill the gaps creating pressure, especially down the middle.
Often the linebackers key on demski and Olivera . If Demski is on the line they just rush the middle. Even a fake handoff to Olivera will give Zac a few seconds.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on July 31, 2024, 02:05:55 AMThe OLine is a big issue right now, but Buck has to run more play action  and more creative running plays into the mix. Our offence is so predictable often the dline is able to anticipate the play and fill the gaps creating pressure, especially down the middle.
Often the linebackers key on demski and Olivera . If Demski is on the line they just rush the middle. Even a fake handoff to Olivera will give Zac a few seconds.

I haven't read the entire game day thread and won't, but was it ever determined why Buck was working the sideline and not up in the box?

Stats Junkie

Quote from: bunker on July 30, 2024, 10:35:16 PMhttps://3downnation.com/2024/07/30/yards-without-points-winnipeg-blue-bombers-can-move-football-but-cant-score-touchdowns/

Interesting article
This sounds similar to some of the work I do relating to QB drives.

In July, Zach Collaros was tied for 4th in the CFL (with Mitchell) by advancing the ball 28.0 yards per drive. Collaros ranked 9th in points per drive (1.39) while Bo Levi Mitchell was 2nd in points per drive (2.30)

When it comes to leading TD drives, Collaros is once again well down the list with a TD on 9.8% of drives. Bo Levi Mitchell led the league in July with a TD on 25.0% of his drives.

The big concern is that the Blue Bombers turned the ball over on almost 25% of Collaros' drives in July.

For reference:
Since 2004 - the average CFL drive is 25.0 yards (30.0 or higher is elite level)
Since 2004 - the CFL average is 1.57 points per drive (2.00 or higher is elite level)
Since 2004 - a TD is scored on 15.6% of all drives (20% or better is elite)
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 30, 2024, 01:48:40 PMYou're grasping at serious straws.
[...]
it seems ridiculous to comb through footage and try and find "errors" when these are the same refs as last year and the three before that.

No, I was simply rewatching like normal and noticed a blocker cutting down our kick-rusher's legs.  And my brain automatically went "isn't that illegal"?  And shared it with the forum after looking it up, because it is illegal, and would have put the kick 10Y back past the 40 and possibly led to a miss.  IF MOS, the blocked player, or any WFC guy in any booth had noticed!

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 30, 2024, 01:48:40 PMOne, I have never seen an illegal block called like that at the line of scrimmage on a field goal. Not this year. Not ever.

You didn't read my whole post.  It's a brand new rule this season!  The reason you've never seen it is because this is probably the first time this season some doorknob way outside the box (TEs) has tried to destroy a rusher's shins/knees!

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 30, 2024, 01:48:40 PMTwo, even if your interpretation is correct (and I don't think it is) who cares what the rule says, that's a normal football play.

Then tell MOS and the rule-makers of the CFL to stop adding these player safety rules.  It's either a foul or not.  If it's a foul by rule, get our 10Y and maybe win the game.

Hey, I agree with you that all these tacked-on player safety rules are a bit lame, but the CFL has been heading this way for a decade now, so are we surprised?

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 30, 2024, 01:48:40 PMWe're not getting calls and we're losing football games because we aren't a very good team this year. That's the reality

I can agree with that, if you append a suffix of "yet".
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: markf on July 30, 2024, 07:17:12 PMWhen blitz is clearly coming, (second half) bombers O did not seem to realize it and dump it off. Zach dropped back. Looking downfield.

When Argos started blitzing, game was over. Between Zach and buck, that is a bit surprising.

It was worse than that!  Many of those Neuf/Eli busts (which were the worst aspect of the OL that game) were against the normal 4-man DL rush!  Holy smokes it was bad.  And doubly worse, they were almost never stunting on those.  It was just straight swim moves or jukes and vwoom, right past Neuf/Eli.

Triply worse, most OL mistakes caused a Zach hit.  Just one was a mere pressures and a throwaway or early/errant pass.  Most were actual wham-bam-Zach's-counting-lambs.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on July 30, 2024, 10:34:03 PMThat type of play is slow developing. Could it be because he knows he doesn't have time to look for option 2?

Ya, but the way it transpired (and probably set up), both Pokey and Woli would be reaching their respective corners at nearly the same time.

Zach was staring down the middle and right routes hard (a flaw of his).  He needs to at least give a peripheral glance to the other reads!  We've seen this a few times this season where other guys were the easier/open pass, but they don't even get seen because Zach is locked in on the double/triple-covered #1 read.

Just think how Zach could torch FSs for a game by just staring down the decoy read then snapping the pass off to the real target.  FSs have learned to ignore the other reads and just cheat to the side Zach is looking.  That's why whenever we get near the EZ we have 2 or 3 defenders around our pass target.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 31, 2024, 09:50:33 AMYou didn't read my whole post.  It's a brand new rule this season!  The reason you've never seen it is because this is probably the first time this season some doorknob way outside the box (TEs) has tried to destroy a rusher's shins/knees!

I read your whole post. That's why I said I haven't seen it called this year or any year. Since it's brand new, how do you know your interpretation is correct? Even from the screenshot it looks like the block is basically happening along the LOS near where the tight end would have been. I highly, highly doubt the rules committee was trying to get this play out of the game. There is nothing wrong with it.

Jesse

Quote from: Stats Junkie on July 31, 2024, 05:54:11 AMThis sounds similar to some of the work I do relating to QB drives.

In July, Zach Collaros was tied for 4th in the CFL (with Mitchell) by advancing the ball 28.0 yards per drive. Collaros ranked 9th in points per drive (1.39) while Bo Levi Mitchell was 2nd in points per drive (2.30)

When it comes to leading TD drives, Collaros is once again well down the list with a TD on 9.8% of drives. Bo Levi Mitchell led the league in July with a TD on 25.0% of his drives.

The big concern is that the Blue Bombers turned the ball over on almost 25% of Collaros' drives in July.

For reference:
Since 2004 - the average CFL drive is 25.0 yards (30.0 or higher is elite level)
Since 2004 - the CFL average is 1.57 points per drive (2.00 or higher is elite level)
Since 2004 - a TD is scored on 15.6% of all drives (20% or better is elite)

It really does seem similar! Zach is right up there with yards per drive. But the points are way down.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

I've oft heard commentators, especially ex Olinemen, say that if they called holding by the book, there'd be a flag on almost every play.

Not sure how they adjudicate what to call or when, but it seems that the self same issue is coming up with PI and RTP.  Seems to be a subjective component which does not seem to favour our team in the least.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

markf

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 31, 2024, 09:54:05 AMIt was worse than that!  Many of those Neuf/Eli busts (which were the worst aspect of the OL that game) were against the normal 4-man DL rush!  Holy smokes it was bad.  And doubly worse, they were almost never stunting on those.  It was just straight swim moves or jukes and vwoom, right past Neuf/Eli.

Triply worse, most OL mistakes caused a Zach hit.  Just one was a mere pressures and a throwaway or early/errant pass.  Most were actual wham-bam-Zach's-counting-lambs.

Yes. Almost like the blitzing got it started, then wasn't needed after that.

It's odd that zach had time first half,,then didn't second half.

argos changed something, Bombers did not adjust.