Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Toronto July 27, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, July 26, 2024, 04:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: J5V on July 28, 2024, 02:02:54 AMSure but defense played an amazing game tonight. Jordan Younger deserves all kinds of praise. He has these guys playing great. Buck Pierce and the offense not so much.

Same with Mike Miller, he's doing an excellent job for a rookie coach.

TecnoGenius

Everyone's overlooking:

Zach looked great tonight!  No underthrows.  No legit INTs.  I think he's worked on his delay problem, and his solution was a faster wind up/release.  His reads were good (except the double-coverage EZ corner attempt which hasn't worked all season).

And all this while he was getting completely hosed by TOR DL mostly bringing just 4 and our OL disintegrating on most plays.

If Zach is back, and we start getting IR Rs back, our O may finally start clicking... as long as the OL can stop taking steps backwards.

Should have gone play action on 1st down in OT and gone for the BLM kill shot all the way to the EZ.  No one anywhere would be expecting that.  Brady run on 1st was dumb as everyone knew it was Brady run for almost no gain.
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

Well that was sad. Defense was outstanding. Teams shut down Grant, and Case was better tonight.

BO20 13/96 yards 7.4 average. 13 carries is sad. Receiving 6/51, 8.5 avg.

ZC8 25/32  317 yards 1TD, 1 Int.

5 Turnovers, Terrible.

Castillo 2/4, Sad.

Woli, and Neuf injured.

Buck out coached again. No solution for the blitz.   
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jockitch

Hard to fathom how it was a tie at the half when despite the turnovers we were in such control

Fumbles, fumbles etc., a fluky pick 6 and 2 missed field goals  ----- geez

After our OT FG attempt gets only a single, why did the D coordinator only have a 3-4 dline on their 1st play.
Stuff the gaps ---- don't give up the easy run play that we all knew the Argos would run -- geez
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on July 28, 2024, 03:24:27 AMWoli, and Neuf injured.

Did anyone see what happened to Neuf?  I didn't even notice.  What part of the game did he get injured (so I can go look)?

If we lose Neuf now, we're totally up poop creek.  Wallace isn't anywhere close to ready and Eli is too small, and that's not his spot.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jockitch on July 28, 2024, 03:28:34 AMAfter our OT FG attempt gets only a single, why did the D coordinator only have a 3-4 dline on their 1st play.
Stuff the gaps ---- don't give up the easy run play that we all knew the Argos would run -- geez

TOR passed on 1st down.  Good thing we didn't run blitz!
Never go full Rider!

dd

Collaros s body language tonight told me he s had enough of this porous offensive line. He took a beating tonight and he deserved better. His supporting cast totally let him down with Woli, Demski, and Olivera fumbling the game away for us.

But the refs made some awesome calls once again for our cause. Nice non call on the PI for a pick 6, and brutal spot on streveller s 3rd down play.

Ducky

Veteran errors seemingly every quarter are costing the team dearly.

3rd and 1 is a gimme for Streveler EXCEPT the one time when it is a killer to not get it.

O line is bad.

Collaros moves like he is 50 years old.

Injuries. Injuries. Injuries.

Poor management decisions. Poor coaching decisions.

dd

Collaros was one of the bright spots in tonight's game. He took a tremendous pounding, was taken out by safety spotter, came back and threw for over 300 yds, and watched while Demski fumbled it away, and again, watched Woli turn it over as well as Olivera.

The O line had a horrible game and should pay for physio therapy Collaros is going to need to get him ready for next game. Aside from Bryant, none of them would be starting on any other team.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on July 28, 2024, 03:38:43 AMCollaros s body language tonight told me he s had enough of this porous offensive line. He took a beating tonight and he deserved better. His supporting cast totally let him down with Woli, Demski, and Olivera fumbling the game away for us.

Collaros was awesome.  An actual legit fantasy pick for once... only the 2nd time this season.  It was like all of Collaros' problems had been sorted out.  Seriously.

The OL is simply unacceptable and we won't win many games with them so bad.  They were getting beaten by 4 regularly, if not predominantly.  TOR didn't even need to blitz much.  We didn't do many jumbo or TE sets, but that makes sense because we have no FB!  As others noted, Buck could have done some more play action, RPO, sweeps and bootlegs to keep the DL more honest.

I think the key need right now is legit OLmen, just like I whinged to death about in the "We're an O focused team" thread:
http://forums.bluebombers.com/index.php?topic=55722.0
But maybe my opinion will change once I identify where Neuf went out.  It's a shame, as our OL was appearing to be improving all the way up to the last game.

Think back to when Zach was best in past years: there'd be whole games where Ds would get their paws on him only zero or one times.  Clearly Zach can still be great if he has half decent protection.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on July 28, 2024, 05:22:23 AMAside from Bryant, none of them would be starting on any other team.

Even Bryant screwed up and cost us a 15 UR-FM that got applied after the play leaving us with 2nd & 25.  That mistake blew that whole series.

I swear on O every single player took turns "costing us the game".  So many "game costers" it's astounding we were still the better team and a FG inch away from possibly winning.  Did anyone on O not have a major screw up?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Ducky on July 28, 2024, 05:06:11 AMCollaros moves like he is 50 years old.

You would too if you got pounded like he did all night!

He was actually doing more of what I said he needs to do: turn into Ricky Ray and sit in the pocket and get those balls out at the last second and, unfortunately, take the hit if the OL is garbage.
Never go full Rider!

Slingin Sammy

On the OLine we have the ratio room to insert our PR Olineman Vanterpool and Randolph...question is are they on the PR solely because of their passports, or are they not good enough to start?

Regarding ratio,  if we're sticking with BA, Bryant, Jefferson, Lofton, and Nichols as starters, why aren't we taking advantage of the Nationalized American rule?

Nationalized American players are defined as having played with their current team for 3 years or at least 5 years in the League. One Nationalized American player may be listed as one of the eight National starters.

This would give us even more ratio flexibility.   I know MOS has in the past expressed his distaste for the designated national rule when teams used it to get an imp to replace a national after one snap so they could play most of the game, but we've got so many imp vets that we're starting...  (Designated Nationalized Americans can replace Cdn starters for up to 25 Snaps)

Why not give us more flexibility with the ratio by designating one of our imp starting vets as a Nationalized American so we can dress players who give us the best chance to win? 
Everyone is a genius at least once a year. The real geniuses simply have their bright ideas closer together.

markf

Why is the o line decent at run blocking and terrible at pass protection?

Blue In BC

Quote from: Slingin Sammy on July 28, 2024, 12:10:47 PMOn the OLine we have the ratio room to insert our PR Olineman Vanterpool and Randolph...question is are they on the PR solely because of their passports, or are they not good enough to start?

Regarding ratio,  if we're sticking with BA, Bryant, Jefferson, Lofton, and Nichols as starters, why aren't we taking advantage of the Nationalized American rule?

Nationalized American players are defined as having played with their current team for 3 years or at least 5 years in the League. One Nationalized American player may be listed as one of the eight National starters.

This would give us even more ratio flexibility.   I know MOS has in the past expressed his distaste for the designated national rule when teams used it to get an imp to replace a national after one snap so they could play most of the game, but we've got so many imp vets that we're starting...  (Designated Nationalized Americans can replace Cdn starters for up to 25 Snaps)

Why not give us more flexibility with the ratio by designating one of our imp starting vets as a Nationalized American so we can dress players who give us the best chance to win? 

More ratio flexibility to do what? We're already starting 10 Canadians. Two DI's are on defence. 3 additional imports that aren't starting are on defence.

Case was the only back up receiver and he was in his 2nd game. At one point we had to put Streveler in as a receiver when Johnson was pulled after getting hit.

Nick and Noah Hallett, Bridges, Griffin and McGhee were all extra DB's so we had a lot of flexibility on that side of the ball.

3 Canadian back LB's + Ayers. Hubert, Thomas, Gauthier on defence as well.
2019 Grey Cup Champions