Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Toronto July 27, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, July 26, 2024, 04:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Zipp

Blue In BC

I thought the smart move was to try and draw the Argos offside while burning off another 20 seconds. Then kick the FG. OTOH, it was not Castillo's day obviously.

Roster management continues to be run by amateurs ( I'd use another word but would get banned ). Our only back up receiver was Case and he was our primary returner. Did we really need to add 2 more DB's instead?

Our interior DL was marginally better but against a poor QB tandem. So I don't give them particularly a thumbs up per se.  The Argo offence only scored 9 points and we lost? I did think we got a bad call on the non PI.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blitzer

That pick 6/defensive pass interference cost the Bombers the game. I can't believe that. That is bush league.

J5V

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on July 28, 2024, 02:05:33 AMI was thinking the Bombers would get smoked however we still found a way to lose in OT.  Castillo missing 2 FGs and a pick six and 4 turnovers with that last 3 and 1 gamble when in FG range....yeah and a L is still a L and the slide continues.  Back to back against BC isn't looking very promising right now....
I put this one on MOS though as at the end of the day we were in a position to kick for the winning FG and let our D stop the Argos with 49 seconds left on the clock.    Even the TSN panel agreed on this not that I always agree with them....but it was unanimous!
What, because Castillo was money tonight? 20-20 hindsight. When was the last time we were stuffed on a third and one? I still say we got a bad spot on the ball and screwed by the CC. Looked liked he had it to me.
Go Bombers!

barbk

On OSHEA post game press at least there was a little emotion.... get off the matt?  nice way to put it

blueandgoldguy

Bad teams find ways to lose close games.  The Bombers are a bad team...exacerbated by poor roster decisions by O'Shea and some bad play-calling by Buck Pierce.

jdrattops

This team is a joke, top down.  Veteran coaches making errors every game this year.  Veteran players making rookie mistakes.  Lets keep "sticking to the process" and losing.

Blue In BC

Quote from: J5V on July 28, 2024, 02:02:54 AMSure but defense played an amazing game tonight. Jordan Younger deserves all kinds of praise. He has these guys playing great. Buck Pierce and the offense not so much.

Started with 3 rookie receivers. Lost Woli for most of the game forcing Case in at receiver. Lost Johnson for awhile forcing Streveler in at receiver.

The game was lost on turnovers and the one that hurt the most is not kicking the FG with less than a minute left.

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Overall I thought a lot of the rookies played pretty well. That said, begin the airlift or activate someone off the PR.

If neither of those 2 OL aren't better than ( pick your flavour ) then find a new one.

I dunno. Is there a trade we could make for a player coming off of 6 game IR, if in fact anyone is actually coming off?

We have a few redundant pieces we might consider trading. We aren't in 2025 season yet, but the season is definitely on the line. Lose one more game in the next 2 and it's probably over. Win both games and that will give us some hope although IMO it's now false hope.

Calgary needs to tank a few games so we have a chance to finish 3rd.

Great. They play the Argos back to back, then the Redblacks and then the Elks twice.  That should be at least 3 wins over the next 5.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

J5V

Our chance to get a crossover spot is likely gone with this loss to the Argos. Our only chance now is to catch Calgary who, remarkably, is only one win ahead of us. Believe it or not, the season is not lost.
Go Bombers!

Lincoln Locomotive

O'Shea still putting on a brave face in defeat.....talking about getting up off the mat....this game was very winnable as both Argo QBs were basically ineffective.  Zach threw for over 300 yards for the first time this season but was let down by his receivers who coughed up the ball 3 times after making the completion....Demski with two.  Also Brady fumbling on a promising drive....Zach was also pummelled and sacked 5 times and you could tell he was hurting and even got pulled from the game by the injury spotter.   
At the end of the day we found a way to more than one way loose and Castillo's bubble burst missing two FGs....most notably the one in OT.  We were once a good enough team to overcome those turnovers but our team has been gutted with key injuries and Woli looked down and out with that hit to the ribs where he coughed up the ball.    So yeah....despite the good play of Kramdi, Wilson, Biggie, and Brady we still managed to beat ourselves.   
Plus we seem to ONLY use Strevvy for short yardage and despite being 18 for 18 on 3rd and short he got stuffed on 3 and short while we were in FG range.  We didn't get a good spot whatsoever and my initial reaction was that he had made it.  Well the football gods did us no favours today.....
BC up next at home....MOS said we need to get back up off the mat....but after awhile it gets harder and harder to do it because we are so decimated injury wise.

This isn't our year.....whether we're able to get back off the mat remains to be seen.  I'm hopeful....as ever

Bomber fan for life

DM83

Not a. Lot of guys looking like. They are "going to get up off the Matt"

Let's face it., if they don't bring in a half dozen new guys, it's hockey season. The interior offensive line are an embarrassment to watch.
If I were the QBs on this team, I'd hand the ball off, and roll out every play. I mean they are going to get seriously hurt.

What's the definition of insanity?.... that's right, doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results.

Well do they fire the offensive co-ordinator? or, does OShea looks like he's tired of this? Fack this was awful.

dd

Quote from: J5V on July 28, 2024, 02:02:54 AMSure but defense played an amazing game tonight. Jordan Younger deserves all kinds of praise. He has these guys playing great. Buck Pierce and the offense not so much.
We were playing 2 third string Qbs. Hold off on the praise until we face a legit Qb. Last week was a #2 Qb too and we lost that game too.

No way we should be losing games where 2nd and 3rd string Qbs are in. God help us when we play BC!!

Blitzer

If the Bombers improve EVERY game from now on and peak in the playoffs who knows what could happen.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on July 28, 2024, 02:05:33 AMEven the TSN panel agreed on this not that I always agree with them....but it was unanimous!

It wasn't.  Panel said half said go for it, half said kick the FG.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on July 28, 2024, 02:05:33 AMI was thinking the Bombers would get smoked however we still found a way to lose in OT.

Tough loss, but we all kinda had a feeling going into OT we'd screw it up again, eh?

- I fully agree with the decision to go for it on 3rd down & a short 1.  MOS always goes for it.  Always.  It's automatic.  Strev hasn't missed yet this year.  MOS saying in post-game he would go for the FG is him just CYA before he has to face the press all week.  Even though our D was playing well, who here is 100% sure we stop long-pass Arbuckle from getting 2-3 deep ones for a TD??  Knowing our luck he does, or at the very least ties it and we go to lose in OT anyway.  You play to win, especially when you're having a crap year!  (Remember Lapo going for 2PT to win a few years ago?)  P.S. Strev had it and refs ripped us off again: when you do the reach-forward thing, Strev needs to have it wave in the air so spotters can get the spot right on review.

- Our D played amazing.

- Our ST coverage played amazing (we got more return yards than Grant).

- Our O played pretty well, except for the dumb turnovers.  It was a lot like the SSK game, where we basically lost due to turnovers and ref calls.

- Command totally botched the Demski non-DPI that may have cost us the game.  Early + turning the R means DPI.  Every fan across the league can see it, why can't command?  I think a big problem with these calls going against us is the refs on the field aren't throwing flags for us, then command uses the old "it must be egregious to overturn" mantra... putting too much weight on the opinion of a couple of bad on-field refs.

- Castillo FG miss from ~43 at that moment is inexcusable.  Remember why we fired Leggs?  Choking at the big moment... ya, well, that's his biggest choke yet.  And look who then steals the win from us?  Ya, ex-Bomber Lirim.  The irony.

- TOR is the 2nd best East team, and will put a massive challenge to MTL to go to the GC.  The fact we were out-playing them all night is incredibly encouraging.  Same with SSK: we hung right with the 2nd best (or best) team in the W.

I'm not as down as some of you guys.  We are playing well enough, even with massive injury holes and a zillion rookies, but just find new ways to lose every time.  It's actually quite incredible we're even in these games at all.  It's not that we're sucking, it's that we're blowing it.  There's got to be a solution to all the fumbles.
Never go full Rider!