Demski

Started by Austin85, July 20, 2024, 06:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Demski has played in 125 games. 382 catches on 550 attempts. 4624 yards with 1872 in YAC. 124 carries for nearly 900 yards.

That doesn't include any blocking efforts.

What's clear is that he's been hit a lot during his career. He's one of the primary offensive weapons.

Maybe somebody can find how many fumbles he's had each year out of curiosity.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 21, 2024, 04:01:48 PMBombers tend to live or die on smash mouth football. That starts with being able to have a strong run game. Teams are taking that away from us while we're in a transition at receiver.

Better run game opens up the receivers and vice versa. At the very least we have to add another import to replace Clercius as the current starter.

If Lawler is ready that solves part of the issue. IMO we need 2 changes at receiver. I'm not knocking Clercius but he's not going to stretch the field.

The running game has been very one dimensional this season, gone are the jets sweeps and any other form of trickery with Demski running up the middle.  Guess it might be pinned on the O-line finding their sea legs and the downgrade in personnel they decided to run with.

Blue In BC

Maybe  we're reaching out to our import FB from 2023. Our ratio would allow that more this year than last year.

I wouldn't normally even suggest that if we still had Hardrick and Grey. Our OL is not as good as 2023 and we also don't have the blocking skill of Bailey either.

Can't think of a good alternative at FB other than a total rookie.

I'm only partially jesting. It's not the best idea I've even had but we need a couple of bandaids.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 21, 2024, 04:42:56 PMMaybe  we're reaching out to our import FB from 2023. Our ratio would allow that more this year than last year.

I wouldn't normally even suggest that if we still had Hardrick and Grey. Our OL is not as good as 2023 and we also don't have the blocking skill of Bailey either.

Can't think of a good alternative at FB other than a total rookie.

I'm only partially jesting. It's not the best idea I've even had but we need a couple of bandaids.

Not that I've noticed him on the field but Feltmate might be gone for awhile, giving the FB job back to MCI.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 21, 2024, 04:46:32 PMNot that I've noticed him on the field but Feltmate might be gone for awhile, giving the FB job back to MCI.

Except MCI is on the 6 game...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

jdrattops

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 21, 2024, 02:23:14 AMHe's in his 9th season. If he learned anything it would be that he should have corrected ball security about year 3.

Now his turnovers are not excessive but " he'll learn from it " is a ridiculous comment.  His positive plays are a lot more than any negative plays, but he had to know pursuit was from the rear and an attempt would be made to strip the ball.

Not excessive?  It's the 3rd fumble this season all fumbled the same way.  I'm struggling to find another receiver this season that has fumbled 3 times caused by a player in a chase position.  2 have been lost, and if it wasn't for Brady O saving the third one the Bombers would be 1-6 right now.

Blueforlife

If we don't rush Lawler he will come back strong and likely finish the season without injury with a little luck on our side.  He will really help develop and open up Wilson and the rest of the receiving crew.

The Zipp

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 21, 2024, 02:23:14 AMHe's in his 9th season. If he learned anything it would be that he should have corrected ball security about year 3.

Now his turnovers are not excessive but " he'll learn from it " is a ridiculous comment.  His positive plays are a lot more than any negative plays, but he had to know pursuit was from the rear and an attempt would be made to strip the ball.

Exactly ...and the frustrating part is that before the game MOS was asked about Sask being known for forcing fumbles and he scoffed at the idea of working on ball security -" everyone knows to secure the ball" was what he said.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: The Zipp on July 22, 2024, 02:38:22 AMExactly ...and the frustrating part is that before the game MOS was asked about Sask being known for forcing fumbles and he scoffed at the idea of working on ball security -" everyone knows to secure the ball" was what he said.

He's not wrong. Those are football fundamentals 101. Demski knows them too.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on July 21, 2024, 02:47:59 PMI still maintain that was a horse collar tackle. I think we all know a flag would have been thrown for exactly that had the roles been reversed.

It wasn't, BinBC is right.  I just computer PVRd it now.  The motion of Demski's head/neck did appear like a HC, but the D's hand/arm went fully in front of Demski, pulling him down from the chest/shoulder, not from the back of the jersey.  So, perfectly legal.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: BomberFan73 on July 21, 2024, 03:55:19 PMDemski is still a great depth receiver.  Problem is he's our #1 guy right now.
As soon as Lawler is back, I think that fixes alot of our O struggles

Only if the OL keep improving.  They have been getting a lot better, especially on pass-pro, but they are a loooong way from our 2021 OL.  Let's hope their ceiling is high, as we can't max out at the current level: it's not good enough to win consistently.

Us with healthy Lawler + a legit week 10 OL (not that crap week 1 OL), and if Zach can fix his "delay issue", then maybe our O can be the force it was meant to be.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: BBRT on July 21, 2024, 04:07:39 PMQuick question for you - If and When Lawler gets back how long will he last before he is injured yet again? Need receivers that are not only good but can last the season - and that IMHO is not Lawler. Given what we are paying him the ROI on his is not all that good.

I think the coaches need to take Lawler aside and tell him to pull a Stegall and just get OOB in those situations.  His arm is broken because he got YAC and wanted to pull a Strev into the DB.  DB helmet broken Kenny's thin forearm.

Lawler said in presser he wouldn't change a thing and will play exactly the same way.  MOS is on record regarding Strev saying he wouldn't ask Strev to change his style... but Strev is a tank, Lawler is not.

So someone needs to ask Lawler to be smart post-catch.  He can be the best WR in the league, but it won't help us if he's always on the sidelines in a cast.  Willie needs to coach him up on being invincible to injuries.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on July 21, 2024, 05:11:04 PMExcept MCI is on the 6 game...

Doh!!  We went from dressing 2 NAT FB to having none left in the hopper!  How on earth does that happen?  I thought Feltmate was progressing nicely.

But now we can Eli and Wallace a lot more on jumbo/TE sets.  However, Wallace seems to have fallen out of favor: he was used a ton weeks 1-3, but not as much in recent weeks.

Maybe Eli will be out there a ton in a more TE type of role.  I really reeeeeeeaaally want to see a pass to Eli, just make sure to declare eligibility!!!

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 21, 2024, 04:42:56 PMMaybe  we're reaching out to our import FB from 2023. Our ratio would allow that more this year than last year.

You know, this isn't the worst idea in the world if our desired NAT FBs are both 6G'd.  Even if we don't always dress him, having him around could help when we absolutely need a FB.  Buuut, it depends on him being in game shape still (probably a fair assumption for a SEAL!).
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: jdrattops on July 21, 2024, 08:34:40 PMNot excessive?  It's the 3rd fumble this season all fumbled the same way.  I'm struggling to find another receiver this season that has fumbled 3 times caused by a player in a chase position.  2 have been lost, and if it wasn't for Brady O saving the third one the Bombers would be 1-6 right now.

There is no reason Demski couldn't be 2-arming it there, especially after the other 2 fumbles.  It's gotten silly, and I really hope Demski is clearly going max ball-pro in week 8.

Also, let's coach up the other Rs around Demski at the time of catch to sprint full on to Demski (behind/in-front/beside, whatever) so when he coughs it up we have a shot at recovery.  Too many Rs start jogging or stopping when they're behind a play when a catch has been made (like Pokey in-frame on the Demski fumble, just jogging).

D players get coached to go to the ball full speed for good things to happen, O should too.
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

There's no reason why a seasoned vet like Demski should be coughing up the ball so easily.

His fumblitis is only magnified by the ongoing struggles on offense.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず