Ford & Holm Phantom DPI Calls @SSK

Started by TecnoGenius, July 20, 2024, 07:47:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on July 21, 2024, 05:24:48 PMSimplest rule, don't do stuff that can be called a penalty.  And save your challenge for OBVIOUS issues that are game changing, and never in the first half unless egregious.

As everyone has said, neither Ford nor Holm didn't "do stuff that can be called a penalty".  No ref would have ever flagged those.  Especially the Ford one: literally nothing happened.  What the refs are saying here is that as a DB you can't be in a R's hip pocket.  Completely absurd.

If those DPIs hadn't been called, and SSK challenges, they would lose those challenges.  No question.

If MOS had his challenge flag, and challenges those plays, both get overturned by command and that "ref" would have been exposed as a dunce for all to see.

To me all of the above adds up to the CFL needing to step in.  Such "rigging" cannot become part of our game.
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 22, 2024, 06:15:07 AMAs everyone has said, neither Ford nor Holm didn't "do stuff that can be called a penalty".  No ref would have ever flagged those.  Especially the Ford one: literally nothing happened.  What the refs are saying here is that as a DB you can't be in a R's hip pocket.  Completely absurd.

If those DPIs hadn't been called, and SSK challenges, they would lose those challenges.  No question.

If MOS had his challenge flag, and challenges those plays, both get overturned by command and that "ref" would have been exposed as a dunce for all to see.

To me all of the above adds up to the CFL needing to step in.  Such "rigging" cannot become part of our game.
Harsh, but true, and needed to be said.
Go Bombers!

markf

Wasn't there a ref that, from the field, led the fans in Mosaic stadium in a cheer?

blue_gold_84

When Glen Suitor opines that a call favouring his Riders was questionable (highly so), you know it's a really, really bad call.

Friday was the worst officiated game in recent memory.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

markf

What is the thinking behind no criticism of refs?

And Whoever called those phantom p.i. Penalties should not ref another game in the CFL.

There is no explanation  or excuse that is acceptable.

Full stop.

theaardvark

The biggest issue is NEITHER were overturned by the eye in teh sky. 

We had no challenge left, sure.  But EITS HAS TO fix these obvious bad calls.

I think it is on Foxcroft.  Proulx is not in a position to see it, and has no replay.

Its all on Toronto.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TBURGESS

Quote from: theaardvark on July 22, 2024, 07:54:23 PMThe biggest issue is NEITHER were overturned by the eye in teh sky. 

I think it is on Foxcroft.  Proulx is not in a position to see it, and has no replay.

Its all on Toronto.
The EITS isn't for fixing everything. That would be like giving the coaches unlimited challenges whether they win them or not. The current win the challenge, keep a challenge is way better because it makes the coaches think before they throw the flag. 
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

DM83

A lot of hand in the body calls. In the past the rule read that. A hand in the body to feel for relevant position was legal. As long as the hand in the body didn't cause or lose and advantage it was legal.

Up until this year, everyone played by that knowledge.  The idiot refs that called that should go away. There was no harm, contact was incidental or irrelevant and some discretion is to be applied. No advantage was gained, so there should have been zero interference.

Horrible protocol, supreme ignorance. A couple teams were fleeced this past weekend.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on July 22, 2024, 07:54:23 PMThe biggest issue is NEITHER were overturned by the eye in teh sky

EITS can't overturn DPI/DH.  The rulebook lays out what can be automatically reviewed and it specifically states that many of the coach-challengeable penalties are not auto-reviewed.

(The rule might be slightly different after the 3 min warning.)

Nope, you need to keep your challenge to keep the refs honest.  We've seen enough shenanigans against MOS & The Bombers over the years to prove that we should always hold the flag until the 4th.  The only exception is if on video you can be absolutely certain you will win.  Not based on what you saw personally, not based on what the players saw, only based on the video.  Which is very hard to do in a timely manner.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: markf on July 22, 2024, 12:42:15 PMWasn't there a ref that, from the field, led the fans in Mosaic stadium in a cheer?

Not sure I remember that... give us a year to jog our memory?

The only guy who did anything cheer-like I can remember is "First Down" Foxcroft, who, if announcing a first down for the home team (only), would also say "fiiiiiiirrst down" like a WWF announcer.  Sucking up to the crowd.  I always hated that.  But he's gone now, eh?
Never go full Rider!

markf

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 23, 2024, 04:43:26 AMNot sure I remember that... give us a year to jog our memory?

The only guy who did anything cheer-like I can remember is "First Down" Foxcroft, who, if announcing a first down for the home team (only), would also say "fiiiiiiirrst down" like a WWF announcer.  Sucking up to the crowd.  I always hated that.  But he's gone now, eh?

Not sure.