"Gun" Celebrations

Started by TecnoGenius, July 16, 2024, 02:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on July 19, 2024, 01:24:07 PMI would love to share the experience with my family one day, but football is as an event is simply geared towards adults. It's long, it starts late, it's loud, alcohol, swearing, gambling are everywhere. Kids simply don't enjoy it until they're old enough to start watching the game, and even then, it would be a long haul for most. And that's only if they like football.

Then it depends on the kid.  You couldn't stop my son from going to his ST seat for every game if you tried.  All home-game week long he's waiting for the Fri or Sat to roll around.  All away-game weeks he's bummed there's no football that week.  He's been going off & on since he was 2.

And my much-younger daughter loves it too, though she only get a couple/few games a season.  But pretty soon I'll be forced to get her STs too, probably in 1-2 years.  (When I was a kid 6-14 I loved the 1-3 times a season I got to go with my dad, never once was bored, always loved memorizing the ref signals they devoted a page to in the program.)

My son definitely understands and watches the game and gets excited for the plays now, and understands how the scoring works and when it looks like "we won't win".  But he didn't really last year, and still liked going (who doesn't like candy & pop they can't have at home?).

I'd say an evening @PAS is adequately family-friendly.  If you're worried about drunks, sit in the kids zone (though not ideal for watching).  Personally, we've never had a problem in any section.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

I'm not worried about the drunks, I think people are encouraged to drink and they should do whatever they want to have a good time. I view a football game as an adult activity. I want to have some drinks, scream loudly, focus on the game, stay until the end, etc. I simply don't find it to be a family atmosphere and wouldn't want to bring kids unless they do show an interest in the game itself.

And yes, like anything else you'll find some exceptions to the rule, I think most children (up to a certain age) have a hard time sitting through a game.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on July 20, 2024, 12:13:58 AMI want to have some drinks, scream loudly, focus on the game, stay until the end, etc. I simply don't find it to be a family atmosphere and wouldn't want to bring kids unless they do show an interest in the game itself.

And yes, like anything else you'll find some exceptions to the rule, I think most children (up to a certain age) have a hard time sitting through a game.

You should see my kids, they are often the loudest beings in my section!  And their dad is easily the loudest otherwise.

As for sitting through the game, I've posted all my 8 years of tips & tricks to other threads over the years (with many this year).  Sure, 100% it's extra work, and you can't 100% enjoy the game as normal; but what's it worth for quality memories with your kids?  I wouldn't change it for the world!
Never go full Rider!