Ontaria "Pokey" Wilson

Started by theaardvark, July 13, 2024, 09:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 16, 2024, 01:37:40 AMAt 6' 175lb he's at the low end of what the NFL would consider adequate.
The NFL athletes are insanely gifted. I've often wondered what those players could produce in the CFL. As good as our game is now, it would be some kind of spectacle.
Go Bombers!

LXTSN

Quote from: J5V on July 16, 2024, 03:40:32 AMThe NFL athletes are insanely gifted. I've often wondered what those players could produce in the CFL. As good as our game is now, it would be some kind of spectacle.
It would be interesting to watch for sure. It's rare that a WR (or any position player) goes to the NFL and lights it up.
Who was the last player to come from the CFL and perform as a top 20 player at his position? A few pop into my mind:
Cam Wake
Alex Singleton
Brandon Browner

Blue In BC

Quote from: Blueforlife on July 16, 2024, 12:04:49 AMWould need a massive season to get a sniff in the NFL but it is possible.  Does he have the speed and size for the NFL? I don't follow it so no clue.

The thing is that with the NFL option window he may try and end up with a TC offer. Something like what Ford did resulting in missing the entire 2023 season.

I suppose the better his season turns out may improve his chances but the NFL brings in many players as UDFA for a look see.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: LXTSN on July 16, 2024, 03:03:26 PMIt would be interesting to watch for sure. It's rare that a WR (or any position player) goes to the NFL and lights it up.
Who was the last player to come from the CFL and perform as a top 20 player at his position? A few pop into my mind:
Cam Wake
Alex Singleton
Brandon Browner

He was further back in history but Benny Thompson had a great NFL career after leaving Winnipeg.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

The fact that it took Pokey 6 games to find his footing here on the Bombers might indicate why he fell though the NFL cracks.  They don't give a player any time, you need to come out of the gates on all cylinders. 

He seems to be a guy that once he gets comfortable, his true talents shine through.  Evidently Collaros has seen this all along, and rewarded him last game.

Does a big season get him an NFL look?  Definitely.  Does he stick?  Depends on if a team give him time to acclimate.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on July 16, 2024, 03:34:59 PMThe fact that it took Pokey 6 games to find his footing here on the Bombers might indicate why he fell though the NFL cracks.  They don't give a player any time, you need to come out of the gates on all cylinders. 

He seems to be a guy that once he gets comfortable, his true talents shine through.  Evidently Collaros has seen this all along, and rewarded him last game.

Does a big season get him an NFL look?  Definitely.  Does he stick?  Depends on if a team give him time to acclimate.

Keep in mind how rusty the team was to start the season. Many starters injured early and then Collaros missing part of 1 game and then 1 entirely. Oliveria not particularly effective early on due to injuries and rust.

So lots of adjustments on the fly. Yes, Wilson may have been learning the CFL game as part of that but it wasn't the only mitigating issue.

He does appear to have some seriously good skills. Regardless I don't think we can target him 14 times this week and not expect a DB to jump a route. At some point it becomes predictable.

We might see a few more deep shots where his speed becomes a factor.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 16, 2024, 03:44:22 PMKeep in mind how rusty the team was to start the season. Many starters injured early and then Collaros missing part of 1 game and then 1 entirely. Oliveria not particularly effective early on due to injuries and rust.

So lots of adjustments on the fly. Yes, Wilson may have been learning the CFL game as part of that but it wasn't the only mitigating issue.

He does appear to have some seriously good skills. Regardless I don't think we can target him 14 times this week and not expect a DB to jump a route. At some point it becomes predictable.

We might see a few more deep shots where his speed becomes a factor.

Agree, that's why I would like to see Whitehead in the lineup this week, Sask. will have to pay close attention to 4 good receivers and one question mark rather than keying on a couple.  Hopefully Zach realizes the advantage of spreading the ball around and doesn't focus on one target too heavily.  Overusing one receiver always puts them at a higher risk of injury.

TBURGESS

I'm really interested to see how he plays this week. Is he a one hit wonder or was last game a show of what's to come?
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TBURGESS on July 16, 2024, 04:24:01 PMI'm really interested to see how he plays this week. Is he a one hit wonder or was last game a show of what's to come?

IMO he's more than a one hit wonder. He showed great hands, route running, finding the open space, concentration and overall effort.

Now he may be double teamed more this week and may not be the primary target as often. I don't expect another 200 yard game. In fact he may not hit 100 yards this week.

His success last week will open up our other receivers.

Too early to compare him to Lawler but what did Lawler do the game after he had 200 yards?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Lawler has only had one more 200 yard game than Wilson... just kidding, but its true.

It is going to be real interesting to see if Zach can break his addiction to Wilson this week.  Wilson bailed him out o a couple throws into coverage, he might not get away with those against the Riders in Toilet Seat stadium.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on July 16, 2024, 05:33:40 PMLawler has only had one more 200 yard game than Wilson... just kidding, but its true.

It is going to be real interesting to see if Zach can break his addiction to Wilson this week.  Wilson bailed him out o a couple throws into coverage, he might not get away with those against the Riders in Toilet Seat stadium.

I think Demski will be Zach's top receiver this week as he usually shines in Regina, with Wilson reduced to 4-5 balls, it would be nice to see Clercius get as many.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 16, 2024, 05:51:43 PMI think Demski will be Zach's top receiver this week as he usually shines in Regina, with Wilson reduced to 4-5 balls, it would be nice to see Clercius get as many.

Wilson is going to be a watched decoy for a lot of the game, but I expect him to get more than 5 ball his way.  I don't think more than 10, unless they really blow the coverage on him, leaving him with a db he can beat.

Blueforlife

Some good banter here guys, what a treat to be debating who starts on receiver after a rough few games for our O.  Tides are turning in Bomber land.  We got the talent, time for execution.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 16, 2024, 03:28:12 PMHe was further back in history but Benny Thompson had a great NFL career after leaving Winnipeg.

Yeah BENNIE THE "HITMAN" THOMPSON of the mid to late 80's!! He was a major tackler for sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bennie_Thompson_(gridiron_football)

Pigskin

Quote from: TBURGESS on July 16, 2024, 04:24:01 PMI'm really interested to see how he plays this week. Is he a one hit wonder or was last game a show of what's to come?

Yes, I remember when the board went nuts for 1 week over Carlton Agudosi. I would be really surprised if Wilson went down that path. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.