Ontaria "Pokey" Wilson

Started by theaardvark, July 13, 2024, 09:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Having burst onto the CFL scene with a breakout game, I think he deserves his own thread.

I understand his nickname has been "Pokey".  Given to him by his grandmother because he reminded her of a Pokemon character.

Well, I guess you could have a worse nickname than one the infers you "Gotta catch 'em all".

Collaros saw the talent he has and was waiting for him to figure out the CFL and get "up to speed", and Friday night, looks like that time arrived.

Dunigan kept calling him "sticky" after that catch over the middle that was way over his head.  Hopefully by next game, he will have learned "Pokey's" real nickname.  Although sticky isn't bad either, really.

FSU standout, with a shoulder injury, went undrafted and signed with the Chargers in 2023 as an undrafted FA, but didn't make the final cuts.

I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot of him over the next couple years, unless he gets an NFL sniff this offseason.  No, I'm not saying one 200 yard game means he's NFL bound, but judging by what Collaros has said about him since the start of camp, there are definitely going to be some eyes south of the border looking this way.

We should enjoy him while we can.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

He's going to get a lot more attention next game. So we probably target him less but that should open up other receivers even if they don't make any roster changes.

Demski and Woli will benefit and I would imagine get more looks.

Will we make changes to the receiver group this week? Stay tuned.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on July 13, 2024, 09:02:52 PMHaving burst onto the CFL scene with a breakout game, I think he deserves his own thread.

I understand his nickname has been "Pokey".  Given to him by his grandmother because he reminded her of a Pokemon character.

Well, I guess you could have a worse nickname than one the infers you "Gotta catch 'em all".

Collaros saw the talent he has and was waiting for him to figure out the CFL and get "up to speed", and Friday night, looks like that time arrived.

Dunigan kept calling him "sticky" after that catch over the middle that was way over his head.  Hopefully by next game, he will have learned "Pokey's" real nickname.  Although sticky isn't bad either, really.

FSU standout, with a shoulder injury, went undrafted and signed with the Chargers in 2023 as an undrafted FA, but didn't make the final cuts.

I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot of him over the next couple years, unless he gets an NFL sniff this offseason.  No, I'm not saying one 200 yard game means he's NFL bound, but judging by what Collaros has said about him since the start of camp, there are definitely going to be some eyes south of the border looking this way.

We should enjoy him while we can.

Watch his College highlight tape, interesting how similar some of the receptions are to ones he made yesterday.

theaardvark

The more dynamic the targets are, the harder it is to cover them. 

Our core is solid, Woli and Demski have everything you could want in 3-4 WRs.  We entered the season with Lawler/Schoen as 1-2.  Losing both promoted Demski/Woli and brought more coverage on them, making it tougher for them to get open. 

Its nice to have Wilson now as a target.  Betting CGY wasn't counting on him going off for 200 yards.  BC will have had a chance to plan for him.

Add in Lucky, if he's up to speed with his conditioning and the playbook, and you've got 2 deep threat burners and Demski as a different kind of deep threat as well.  With Collaros rounding into form, and dropping dimes, I have a feeling we may be making S'mores out of BC's DBs.

In the current roster, I can see Lucky/Clercius as a rotating duo, Clercius more on blocking downs, and Lucky flying down the field.

When Lawler comes back, this is going to be back to a top notch corps. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on July 13, 2024, 09:47:40 PMThe more dynamic the targets are, the harder it is to cover them. 

Our core is solid, Woli and Demski have everything you could want in 3-4 WRs.  We entered the season with Lawler/Schoen as 1-2.  Losing both promoted Demski/Woli and brought more coverage on them, making it tougher for them to get open. 

Its nice to have Wilson now as a target.  Betting CGY wasn't counting on him going off for 200 yards.  BC will have had a chance to plan for him.

Add in Lucky, if he's up to speed with his conditioning and the playbook, and you've got 2 deep threat burners and Demski as a different kind of deep threat as well.  With Collaros rounding into form, and dropping dimes, I have a feeling we may be making S'mores out of BC's DBs.

In the current roster, I can see Lucky/Clercius as a rotating duo, Clercius more on blocking downs, and Lucky flying down the field.

When Lawler comes back, this is going to be back to a top notch corps. 

I think Zach still has to scale it back with the long passes and moderate the passing game with short and intermediate routes and not try so hard to be a gunslinger.  Going for the long ball is usually when the O-line collapses and he gets smashed against teams with good D-line push.  Mix it up more, no need to always play on the edge of desperation.

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 13, 2024, 10:42:22 PMI think Zach still has to scale it back with the long passes and moderate the passing game with short and intermediate routes and not try so hard to be a gunslinger.  Going for the long ball is usually when the O-line collapses and he gets smashed against teams with good D-line push.  Mix it up more, no need to always play on the edge of desperation.

Yes, the Int in the end zone last night was a flash back to GC. ZC8 had a Clercius wide open on the side lines, and still try to force the pass to ND10 in double coverage. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Big Daddy

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 13, 2024, 09:24:59 PMWatch his College highlight tape, interesting how similar some of the receptions are to ones he made yesterday.

Thanks for the college tape, that was pretty cool.   Have no idea if 3very receiver has tape like that, but it sure made me want to watch him more going forward (of course, so did last nite's game). 

Sure no one has seen him up to this point, and they can plan better going forward.  I like Marty's nickname Sticky, sure saw that live last nite and wondered how he made some of those catches.  It's early but I think he's a keeper.

Now if only I could get that stupid music from his college tape out of my head - that was horrible.

J5V

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 13, 2024, 09:24:59 PMWatch his College highlight tape, interesting how similar some of the receptions are to ones he made yesterday.

Holy crap! Guy has a deadly skill set. Seems to read a ball in flight very well and adjusts to know where to be. He has a lateral move that DBs can't match and is trouble once he catches it too. Wow!
Go Bombers!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: J5V on July 14, 2024, 02:13:44 AMHoly crap! Guy has a deadly skill set. Seems to read a ball in flight very well and adjusts to know where to be. He has a lateral move that DBs can't match and is trouble once he catches it too. Wow!

Yep, his one handed catches are no fluke, he pulls off a couple on that highlight reel.

theaardvark

Watched the video... in the middle there was a punt return using the decoy like the one that MOS did.  Kinda fun.

Seems to make a lot of contested catches, when he's not ridiculously open.  Starts the video with the 2 one handers, nice.  Lots of YAC yards too, does not seem to get tackled easily.  Very MOS type of player.

J5V

His lateral movement is other-worldly. He uses it to get open and to juke a would-be tackler after he receives the ball. YAC yards are real good and he has deceptive speed. What a beauty! Kudos to the scouting staff for finding this gem.
Go Bombers!

J5V

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 13, 2024, 09:09:02 PMHe's going to get a lot more attention next game. So we probably target him less but that should open up other receivers even if they don't make any roster changes.

Demski and Woli will benefit and I would imagine get more looks.

Will we make changes to the receiver group this week? Stay tuned.
I'm imagining this receiver group when Lawler gets back. If we can find another gem to replace Dalton Shoen, look out!
Go Bombers!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: J5V on July 14, 2024, 07:58:33 PMI'm imagining this receiver group when Lawler gets back. If we can find another gem to replace Dalton Shoen, look out!

I think they'll be good with Wilson and Lucky, if they invested in bringing him in, they may as well run with him.   The rest of the rookie import receivers can fight it out on the PR and the survivors can compete for a job again next year, introducing one rookie receiver per year is transition enough.  Special exception to Clercius, being a Natl. he deserves preferential treatment! 

theaardvark

Quote from: J5V on July 14, 2024, 07:58:33 PMI'm imagining this receiver group when Lawler gets back. If we can find another gem to replace Dalton Shoen, look out!

When Lawler returns, Schoen is already replaced with Wilson, Lucky/Clercius replaces Bailey (depending on whether you want a receiver or a blocker). 

What is done with Wheatfall is he returns is another story...

I was in the Doug Brown camp early this year, Wilson wasn't doing anything on field.  Looks like he and Collaros finally got comfortable with what each other can do. That was a spectacular game, and hopefully not the last one like that.

BLUEBOMBER

The team needs fresh blood to rejuvenate...