Bombers @ Riders.

Started by Pigskin, July 13, 2024, 05:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 18, 2024, 01:16:15 AMI think Lucky O. and Chris-Ike will be coming off the AR tomorrow. Injury issues and no practice. That will result in a shuffle of players but there are a few choices and I'd only be making more guesses.

Sounds like Garbutt and Case are coming on at least.
My wife is amazing!

markf

Bonfire sports posted this, with an interview of garbutt. youtube.

"TyJuan Garbutt has been with Winnipeg for well over a year, and while he's already suited up in a couple non-consequential games for the Blue Bombers, the athletic and powerful rush end is set to re-debut on the starting defensive line in Week 7 against the Saskatchewan Roughriders."

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on July 18, 2024, 01:20:38 AMMaybe we need the guy in the middle of the DL to be more of a run-stopper.

Ouch.  Maybe.  But note how Biggie is usually being tasked... I wouldn't blame him for everything.  He does have to follow orders.

Unlike Sankey and other MLBs, we have Biggie run up to stuff a hole.  Now that I think about it, it's become very Hurl-like.  Not that Biggie is or ever could be Hurl-level, but in how they are using him.

Some games I focus on Biggie (usually after he gets bashed) and he's not sitting back there whiffing on runs: he's stuffing holes and getting tied up by OL.  Our DC and MOS know he'll get tied up by the OL (he's never been a good block-shedder).  But that's what we have him do.  I think the thinking is Biggie will take away the obvious open hole the RB prefers, forcing him out on the edge to either Kramdi or Wilson (both faster than Biggie).

Ya, sure, the last game had that really bad open-field whiff on a big run; and we usually see one of those a game.  Those are the ones he's supposed to catch.  But my point is, he's not in that position very often.  So if he whiffs on 1 of 1, is it really that bad?  Is it all his fault?  Even the best get decleated on jukes by good runners, and we've seen some pretty good runners emerge in the CFL (Fletcher, Armstead, Mills, etc).

If you want Biggie to be more of a second-level run-stopper, stop tasking him with the holes.  Either that, or get a beefier/nastier MLB that can shed blocks.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 18, 2024, 03:54:22 AMOuch.  Maybe.  But note how Biggie is usually being tasked... I wouldn't blame him for everything.  He does have to follow orders.

Unlike Sankey and other MLBs, we have Biggie run up to stuff a hole.  Now that I think about it, it's become very Hurl-like.  Not that Biggie is or ever could be Hurl-level, but in how they are using him.

Some games I focus on Biggie (usually after he gets bashed) and he's not sitting back there whiffing on runs: he's stuffing holes and getting tied up by OL.  Our DC and MOS know he'll get tied up by the OL (he's never been a good block-shedder).  But that's what we have him do.  I think the thinking is Biggie will take away the obvious open hole the RB prefers, forcing him out on the edge to either Kramdi or Wilson (both faster than Biggie).

Ya, sure, the last game had that really bad open-field whiff on a big run; and we usually see one of those a game.  Those are the ones he's supposed to catch.  But my point is, he's not in that position very often.  So if he whiffs on 1 of 1, is it really that bad?  Is it all his fault?  Even the best get decleated on jukes by good runners, and we've seen some pretty good runners emerge in the CFL (Fletcher, Armstead, Mills, etc).

If you want Biggie to be more of a second-level run-stopper, stop tasking him with the holes.  Either that, or get a beefier/nastier MLB that can shed blocks.

Yeah, the only time I notice Biggie these days is when he's whiffing in the open field. Generally, if a MLB is being used as a run stopper, and not wracking up tackles, he's not being very effective.
My wife is amazing!

M.O.A.B.

In: DE Garbutt, LB Jones, WR/KR Case, DB Hallett
Out: LB/DE Ogbevoen, WR Mitchell, RB/KR Smith, RB/FB Chris-Ike

I like DE Garbutt and LB Jones move. Hoping Jones rotates on the MLB and not for ST only.

I like trying Case on the KR as I feel Smith is underwhelming. Although it's a bit scary having a new guy there. Hope he catch everything and not wait for it to bounce first.

I don't get taking out Chris-Ike.
Looks like O'Shea added another one of his boys in younger Hallett. How long this guy will last?

blue_gold_84

+1 on Case in for Smith. Smith has not impressed, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Pete

I dont get having 5 import LBs, and 3 nat for a total of 8.
Was hoping to see Lucky W in,but maybe he not in game shape or hasnt impressed.
Adding Hallett. indicates a lack of nat options At the beginning of season if you told me Hallet,Smeckle and Feltmate would be on starting roster Id think our draft was a disaster.Our roster mgmt is questionable.

peg_city

This is now the 4th DE over 7 games that we've started in Jeffcoat's spot?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: peg_city on July 18, 2024, 02:52:32 PMThis is now the 4th DE over 7 games that we've started in Jeffcoat's spot?

Probably a different story if Haba didn't get injured. He seemed like the heir apparent to Jeffcoat, whose presence is really being missed right now on the D-line.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on July 18, 2024, 02:32:23 PMIn: DE Garbutt, LB Jones, WR/KR Case, DB Hallett
Out: LB/DE Ogbevoen, WR Mitchell, RB/KR Smith, RB/FB Chris-Ike

I like DE Garbutt and LB Jones move. Hoping Jones rotates on the MLB and not for ST only.

I like trying Case on the KR as I feel Smith is underwhelming. Although it's a bit scary having a new guy there. Hope he catch everything and not wait for it to bounce first.

I don't get taking out Chris-Ike.
Looks like O'Shea added another one of his boys in younger Hallett. How long this guy will last?

Chris-Ike didn't practice this week due to an injury

EDIT: Moved to 6 game IR.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on July 18, 2024, 02:41:34 PMI dont get having 5 import LBs, and 3 nat for a total of 8.
Was hoping to see Lucky W in,but maybe he not in game shape or hasnt impressed.
Adding Hallett. indicates a lack of nat options At the beginning of season if you told me Hallet,Smeckle and Feltmate would be on starting roster Id think our draft was a disaster.Our roster mgmt is questionable.

Yeah, that's a bit odd but as we saw last week, we used a global LB as the rotation player on the edge. If we had another import DE like Haba healthy that would change.

Jones was quite good on ST's in the past and has started at MLB for a few games with the Elks. Hard to say what his immediate role will be this game.

Since Lucky O was more of an emergency back up last week, Jones might take on part of that role. Garbutt will still need someone to rotate at DE to keep him fresh. Hubert will see some reps as well.

Hallett being added is not exactly a surprise. The team has kept him around during his multiple injury history. He might see immediate duty on ST's. Chris-Ike being nicked just made adding him easier this week.

Kelly was eligible to come off 6 game IR as well. Not important that he does soon, but I wonder if one of our Canadian DB's becomes trade bait.  Waiting to see the roster updates on where those coming off went. 1 game IR, or PR? Because we had 2 come off of 6 game IR, it would suggest 2 need to move to IR just from a math point of view.

What happens more long term, is less obvious.

EDIT: Ok, some answers. Chris-Ike and Lucky O. moved to 6 game IR. Kelly moved from 6 game IR to 1 game IR.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

markf

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 18, 2024, 03:17:00 PMWhat happens more long term, is less obvious.

"Obvious"  😀

Much/most of The roster stuff is beyond me.

Blue In BC

Quote from: markf on July 18, 2024, 04:14:53 PM"Obvious"  😀

Much/most of The roster stuff is beyond me.

I'm just saying we're starting to get healthier ( fingers crossed ). In theory players on the 1 game IR, could be ready to return to the AR. Leaving them on the 1 game IR has a marginal SMS cost. Whether they are actually completely healthy or being left there is just a strategic roster decision is just a guesstimate.

Not that I think Samson or Kelly should replace someone on the AR at the moment, but the PR is at the current limit.

Lawler might also be returning after this week and that creates another roster shuffle.

I've been suggesting we should be / might be looking at a small airlift of new faces to the PR. In particular DL since we don't have any additional ones healthy at the moment. Best we've heard is that none of Haba, Fox are near healthy soon.

The catch is roster space barring injury is a balancing act. Essentially at the moment, it's one in and one out.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

That's why it's good to see Jones in there this week, hopefully he gets reps. We need to see what we have on the pr so as to make better decisions going forward. As mentioned, we need to bring in DEs, and by now we know that this is Biggy's last year. I just wish we'd start looking at safety as well to start giving someone else reps.
There are 4 main areas we need to plan to improve
Thomas. Alexander, Bighill and possibly dt for next year.  We've seen how difficult it is to evaluate in training camp with just 2 preseason games. (Kramdl is on the borderline list)

Jesse

Getting Case and Hallett on the roster before Lucky is meh for me.
My wife is amazing!