Bombers @ Riders.

Started by Pigskin, July 13, 2024, 05:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 19, 2024, 06:19:21 PMIt all goes back to being a top team in the league with their main focus being  retaining their own players, because they are usually the top rated at their position.  The Bombers have not pursued the FA strategy vigorously since their GC win in 2019, mainly because every penny goes towards retaining their own.

Agreed. Considering the Bombers have been the most consistently successful franchise over the last few years*, their MO has ostensibly been about trying to keep the band together and retaining in-house talent/depth as much as possible without getting into bidding wars over highly priced FAs come early February. I also think this team hasn't had the financial capacity to do that when you look at the roster and some of the respective contracts of its top talent (Collaros, Demski, Bryant, Jefferson - just to name a few). And I think it's worth noting that three of those players were all FA acquisitions prior to the team's sustained success from the 2019 playoffs until this season's early struggles.

I think a team being a destination has to include multiple factors such as culture, a strong rapport with coaches, players, trainers, etc., how the organization conducts its business, and more tangible things like facilities and amenities. It goes well beyond whether or not a team chooses to target touted free agents, IMO.

*and perhaps even longer when you look at the regular season from 2016 through 2018
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

theaardvark

Quote from: Pete on July 19, 2024, 06:11:15 PMknow that's the view from the outside, but how many free agents have we pursued in season? How many posters have been asking for this? Yet in the past two years is there anyone on our roster that has played a game for us that we've signed as a vet cfl player in season? If were a destination it sure hasn't shown up. Its not always about the sms and the high profile player. Not sure what Wall signed for or if Chandler Worthy isn't good enough (seeing as were last in the league in return yardage)
 A vet with any resume may be hesitant to come to a team where they have to prove themselves from scratch.
Its likely a combination of factors, but i don't think we are looked upon as a favorite destination.

Its not a factor that the player did not want to come here, rather the fact that most seasons, our $SMS is fully committed by the season opener, and if we need mid season replacements, they will be coming from our PR on ELC's.

If we had lost Bighill prior to Sankey coming available, for instance, we wold have been in the conversation for his services, because both the position would be open, and we would have Biggies $SMS to spend.  But neither of those things were true, so there was no interest From Our Side in him.  I don't doubt that his agent called us, though...

Mid season FA fits are tough at the best of times.  They are not coming for affordable ELC's.  You either have to have salary available from 6 game or be able to cut an overpaid/underperforming player to free up $SMS. 

Our team is designed to "next man up" from within.  Our roster is deep, our PR has potential.  It took having our two top WR's, with about $500k in salary (not sure how much was bonus of each) for us to bring Lucky onto out PR.  And even then, it looks like our scouts have filled the pipe with replacements.

Oakman might have been a consideration, with our DLine injuries, but with some of our prospects coming off IR, he wasn't a "must have" need. 

"Buying" a team, especially mid season, is not a viable plan in the cap era. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pete

generally i agree with your assessment, but not even adding even one to the roster in two years where we are seeing a weakness and don't have someone on our pr doesn't seem like good management. I'm not talking about buying a "team" but successful teams do look at all options,
(mtrl ly won a grey cup, toronto picked up grant, and now Baron, Sask (ok maybe not successful yet) Sayles. There are opportunities if we are open to them.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Pete on July 19, 2024, 07:51:14 PMgenerally i agree with your assessment, but not even adding even one to the roster in two years where we are seeing a weakness and don't have someone on our pr doesn't seem like good management. I'm not talking about buying a "team" but successful teams do look at all options,
(mtrl ly won a grey cup, toronto picked up grant, and now Baron, Sask (ok maybe not successful yet) Sayles. There are opportunities if we are open to them.

Lawler was a FA acquisition in 2023.

Taking into account the success this organization's had in the last five calendar years (regular and post-season), it seems fair to conclude they have looked at all the options.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Blueforlife

Bombers success during our mini dynasty is due to our consistency in culture, players, coaches and management.  Enjoy the ride.  We still got tickets left and we haven't tried all the rides yet.

ModAdmin

Quote from: Blueforlife on July 19, 2024, 08:02:22 PMBombers success during our mini dynasty is due to our consistency in culture, players, coaches and management.  Enjoy the ride.  We still got tickets left and we haven't tried all the rides left.

What is currently different is that injuries, the salary cap, age and some key players moving on, have made the "still got tickets left" scenario a bit more in doubt.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

theaardvark

Quote from: Pete on July 19, 2024, 07:51:14 PMgenerally i agree with your assessment, but not even adding even one to the roster in two years where we are seeing a weakness and don't have someone on our pr doesn't seem like good management. I'm not talking about buying a "team" but successful teams do look at all options,

The key is, what player was available that would have helped us?  You have to have a need to pick someone up.  You don't just bring in a player because he is available.

And, I'm not sure if you remember, but we did make a trade that was effectively like bringing in a FA mid season that worked out pretty darned good for us...  Toronto got Theren Churchill with the draft pick we gave up for Collaros.. yeah, that's basically a FA signing.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pete

we were talking about free agents acquired midseason, and Collaros wasn't a free agent. (he didn't voluntarily sign with us at the time) LY we could did have a need for a defensive lineman as we do this year. In both years we have a need for a kick returner. I think Worthy could help us. That were having to stretch to find a free agent example e Collaros proves my point that we haven't utilized this as an opportunity.
All I'm saying is that the culture first and having vets earn a spot like a rookie does preclude some opportunities. Unless there's a physical reason whitehead isn't in the lineup today, I would have liked to see him added

theaardvark

Quote from: Pete on July 19, 2024, 09:08:00 PMwe were talking about free agents acquired midseason, and Collaros wasn't a free agent. (he didn't voluntarily sign with us at the time) LY we could did have a need for a defensive lineman as we do this year. In both years we have a need for a kick returner. I think Worthy could help us. That were having to stretch to find a free agent example e Collaros proves my point that we haven't utilized this as an opportunity.
All I'm saying is that the culture first and having vets earn a spot like a rookie does preclude some opportunities. Unless there's a physical reason whitehead isn't in the lineup today, I would have liked to see him added

I guess we'll see what Garbutt and Case bring to the table tonight...  they were supposed to play to start the season, but injuries...  lets see if they can bring what Wilson did last week...

Blueforlife

Quote from: ModAdmin on July 19, 2024, 08:33:05 PMWhat is currently different is that injuries, the salary cap, age and some key players moving on, have made the "still got tickets left" scenario a bit more in doubt.
I see a new crop of good athletes that will fill those doubts

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on July 19, 2024, 06:11:15 PMknow that's the view from the outside, but how many free agents have we pursued in season? How many posters have been asking for this? Yet in the past two years is there anyone on our roster that has played a game for us that we've signed as a vet cfl player in season?

You're right.  Not since 2019 have we been making any meaningful mid/late-season additions.

If you watch teams that have a whiff of being GC-bound, they stock up at the end of the season.

It's pretty simple: you look at your weakest link(s) and you bring in a plug&play vet for that spot, via the couch or trade.  We haven't been doing that.  Did it cost us the 2024 GC?  Maybe!

Have we learned from our mistake?  Who knows.  P.S. SMS isn't really a big concern for a GC-run top-up, because there are so few weeks you employ them, and you can tap into next year's re-sign kitty and overage if you're really serious.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 19, 2024, 06:19:21 PMIt all goes back to being a top team in the league with their main focus being  retaining their own players, because they are usually the top rated at their position.  The Bombers have not pursued the FA strategy vigorously since their GC win in 2019, mainly because every penny goes towards retaining their own.

I have a theory that players try to game what team is "up & coming", not who is currently the best.  Why?  Because the best usually don't stay the best for very long (especially in the East).

I think GMs/players sell teams like BC to potential FAs like "come join us, we're moving up and going places".

Whereas for us, I think after the 2nd year of dominating it starts to get harder to sell ourselves.  In our dynasty year 3 & 4 most people thought BC would beat us.  You think players don't know that?

Don't get me wrong: we're still a big destination and teams would rather sign with us than HAM & EDM.  But I think the strongest draw right now would be for BC and MTL, and maybe even SSK.  Us & TOR are kind of in the same "downtrend" boat.

I think it's important we keep our team appearing "fresh" and shake the now-common perception that we're "old".  Up & coming players don't want to join the geriatric team.  That doesn't mean fire everyone over 32, but maybe by a few key acquisitions we can achieve the same effect.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 19, 2024, 11:23:49 PMI have a theory that players try to game what team is "up & coming", not who is currently the best.  Why?  Because the best usually don't stay the best for very long (especially in the East).

I think GMs/players sell teams like BC to potential FAs like "come join us, we're moving up and going places".

Whereas for us, I think after the 2nd year of dominating it starts to get harder to sell ourselves.  In our dynasty year 3 & 4 most people thought BC would beat us.  You think players don't know that?

Don't get me wrong: we're still a big destination and teams would rather sign with us than HAM & EDM.  But I think the strongest draw right now would be for BC and MTL, and maybe even SSK.  Us & TOR are kind of in the same "downtrend" boat.

I think it's important we keep our team appearing "fresh" and shake the now-common perception that we're "old".  Up & coming players don't want to join the geriatric team.  That doesn't mean fire everyone over 32, but maybe by a few key acquisitions we can achieve the same effect.

Mid season adds are not gaming anything. They are players on the couch who have been pleading for anyone to add them.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on July 20, 2024, 12:19:45 AMMid season adds are not gaming anything. They are players on the couch who have been pleading for anyone to add them.

I meant in normal FA.  The top-tier high-demand players are drawn to the "next big thing" teams.  Just a theory.
Never go full Rider!