Argos at Als

Started by GOLDMEMBER, July 11, 2024, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Blueforlife on July 12, 2024, 02:15:23 AMArgos run game is so strong and deep
Argos overall played played a fantastic physical game.

Hansen with the monster ST tackle.

Man those bloody Argos sure have a bunch of ex Bombers.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on July 12, 2024, 01:38:06 AMit would be very interesting to see what Grant signed for in Toronto

I bet it was above min. wage which is what the Bombers budgeted for the returner position.

Blueforlife

Cody limping on sidelines

The Zipp

Montreal (like most football teams) is not the same without their starting QB

dd

Quote from: The Zipp on July 12, 2024, 02:22:34 AMMontreal (like most football teams) is not the same without their starting QB
For sure, at least our #2 can generate 25 points and win us a game. Evans can't generate 15 points a game and won't win you any ball games. I just don't know why Montreal is wasting a roster spot for this guy. He has stunk everywhere he's been

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on July 12, 2024, 12:09:11 AMFor sure a hammy...

Of all the injuries I follow in the CFL, hammy is one I don't have much data on.  Is that a "better the next week" thing, or a many-weeks thing?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

The punt to start the 2nd Q: that no-yards MTL dude was "hovering" inside the halo.  I thought a couple of years ago that was an extra 10Y on top of the no yards penalty?  I remember MOS chirped at the refs when the rule was added and he got them to upgrade the penalty.

Anyhow, in this MTL game the refs just called "no yards", and it was declined.  So I'm hitting up the rulebook and I can't find the hovering rule anywhere anymore (I know it wasn't under that word, but I can't find any similar wording either).  Did they remove the hovering rule recently?  Can anyone else think of what word to search on?
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

Depends on how serious the hamstring injury is. Could be 3 weeks to 3 months.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 12, 2024, 03:20:06 AMThe punt to start the 2nd Q: that no-yards MTL dude was "hovering" inside the halo.  I thought a couple of years ago that was an extra 10Y on top of the no yards penalty?  I remember MOS chirped at the refs when the rule was added and he got them to upgrade the penalty.

Anyhow, in this MTL game the refs just called "no yards", and it was declined.  So I'm hitting up the rulebook and I can't find the hovering rule anywhere anymore (I know it wasn't under that word, but I can't find any similar wording either).  Did they remove the hovering rule recently?  Can anyone else think of what word to search on?
Hovering is still in the amateur rule book but has been removed from the cfl rulebook, which is a mistake as teams will do exactly what we just saw and why not, no foul for doing it and completely limits the return, a step backwards really.

Stats Junkie

Hovering was a necessary addition to the CFL rulebook when there was a 5 yard version of the 'No Yards' penalty. It was a 15 yard penalty for 'No Yards' if you were caught hovering.

Now that the 5 yard 'No Yards' penalty has been mostly eliminated, nearly all 'No Yards' penalties are 15 yards.

There are a couple of exceptions where a  5 yard 'No Yards' penalty can still be called but the inadvertent condition for those exceptions means that hovering would still be a 15 yard penalty.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie

I am a Stats Junkie, a Rules Junkie & a Canadian Football History Junkie!

dd

As soon as the ball hits the ground, it's a 5 yd penalty. So the ball hits the ground, the cover guys can hover around the 5 yd halo and not allow the ball to be put into play, and that's exactly what they're doing so we re seeing less returns as a result. They should reinstitute the rule

Stats Junkie

Quote from: dd on July 12, 2024, 04:58:48 AMAs soon as the ball hits the ground, it's a 5 yd penalty.
The CFL eliminated this condition prior to the 2022 season.

Aside from a couple of exceptions, all 'No Yards' penalties are 15 yards whether the ball is caught in the air or it hits the ground first.

2019 - 105 No Yards penalties
2021 - 84 No Yards penalties (short season)
2022 - 55 No Yards penalties
2023 - 63 No Yards penalties

The rule change has resulted in fewer No Yards penalties and more returns.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie

I am a Stats Junkie, a Rules Junkie & a Canadian Football History Junkie!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Pete on July 12, 2024, 12:39:54 AMI think Maas has gone to the Dickenson school of challenges

Which Dickensen? The Greater or the Lesser! ;)

On another note, did Craig Dickensen ever play in the CFL or even college? We all know Dave's resume, but the "lesser" I know much less about.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: The Zipp on July 12, 2024, 01:06:26 AMGrant should still be a Bomber

Bob Irving agrees too:

Janarion Grant keeps reminding the Bombers of what they lost. He should still be here.

I will hold final judgement and wait and see if he can last the entire season. Right now it looks like a bust for the Bombers although we still have to wait and see how our new returners pan out with a few more games to show their stuff. 

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on July 12, 2024, 12:39:54 AMI think Maas has gone to the Dickenson school of challenges

That first jam 10Y past the LoS technically impeded the R.  He was slowed down basically by the amount he was "overthrown".  You can watch his slowdown in stride, and it's obvious.

However, most fans don't want to see that called DPI, as it's so early in the route and it looks really minor/weak.  And the CFL doesn't often call this as DPI (IC maybe, sometimes).  So it's all ok for them to clarify this, setting precedent for the rest of the season.

Holy Moses... those MTL horns are driving me nuts, especially during the Lalonde sideline updates.  Ambrosie needs to do something about those horns.
Never go full Rider!