Blue Bomber Transactions - July 8, 2024

Started by The Zipp, July 08, 2024, 02:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DM83

Sad to hear that about garbutt and Fayad.  I thought all our new guys played tougher and improved.  Certainly not all-star material yet. All guys were getting better. I thought our contain on pass rush was in need of work, but a work in progress.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 08, 2024, 04:17:06 PMMust be, I suspect they offered Fayad a PR spot and he refused it, why else would they dump depth in a thin position?  Fayad had good mobility and was reasonably effective in his reps., pretty harsh to determine a player does not measure up and never will in the span of a few games.

Our PR is full, and we just added Lucky to it.. suspecting there needs to be another deletion or promotion...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on July 08, 2024, 07:39:59 PMOur PR is full, and we just added Lucky to it.. suspecting there needs to be another deletion or promotion...

We're 2 players over on the PR at the moment. If Garbutt comes off the 6 game IR then we're going to have to adjust somewhere. Somebody may be moved to IR or somebody might be released.

Fayad could be asked to sit around town to be called up at another time. Keeping in mind he was cut after early injury and brought back after others were injured and he was needed.

So I expect some additional transactions this week but it's just a guess on what that will look like.

Just from a math point of view, it will probably require 3 players changing.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

kkc60

Quote from: LXTSN on July 08, 2024, 04:28:55 PM3 games played and 1 tackle for Fayad. I did think he provided more pressure on the QB than when we had Adams there, but really not much else.
Let's hope that Garbutt and Hubert can be great!
Adams has the best motor on the team I would say, but at 6'1 290, he shouldn't be playing end much or at all.

Pigskin

Quote from: kkc60 on July 08, 2024, 08:32:48 PMAdams has the best motor on the team I would say, but at 6'1 290, he shouldn't be playing end much or at all.

He does, and Hubert is right behind him. Kid never stops working. He might end up to be good DE.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 08, 2024, 08:27:53 PMWe're 2 players over on the PR at the moment. If Garbutt comes off the 6 game IR then we're going to have to adjust somewhere. Somebody may be moved to IR or somebody might be released.

Fayad could be asked to sit around town to be called up at another time
. Keeping in mind he was cut after early injury and brought back after others were injured and he was needed.

So I expect some additional transactions this week but it's just a guess on what that will look like.

Just from a math point of view, it will probably require 3 players changing.

Are you suggesting we have a Chris Jones "practice practice squad"?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

kkc60

Quote from: Pigskin on July 08, 2024, 08:47:26 PMHe does, and Hubert is right behind him. Kid never stops working. He might end up to be good DE.
Re-watching, and Hubert certainly plays a lot on STs as well.

Blue In BC

#22
Quote from: theaardvark on July 08, 2024, 09:48:45 PMAre you suggesting we have a Chris Jones "practice practice squad"?

Not at all. We had several players injured during TC and were released as a way to manage the roster count allowed. Once we had injuries, they were offered new roles on either the AR or PR.

Most recently we re-signed Alston and Case that were with the team briefly in TC.

Every week is a different set of needs. Opportunities to change the roster happen.  Whether we ask them to stick around or just say we'll call you if and when things change is just a comment. We're seeing players released in TC being recalled across the league as injuries mount.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on July 08, 2024, 02:11:13 PMFayad???

Our now starting DE?!??

Woooooooooow... this is a shocker.  Fans were high on him.  Only 2 (3?) games starting and we've already decided he sucks?  What happened to giving guys time to show up?

Quote from: LXTSN on July 08, 2024, 04:28:55 PM3 games played and 1 tackle for Fayad. I did think he provided more pressure on the QB than when we had Adams there, but really not much else.
Let's hope that Garbutt and Hubert can be great!

That could be part of it.  Maybe Fayad is a sack-first, run-stop-later guy.  That probably doesn't fit in with our scheme, especially with not-super-focused-on-the-run Willie on the other end.  (Though Willie is decent at contain.)

Still, we usually give them more time.  I wonder if this is a victim of FIFO... Sometimes guys who show some promise or are good starters just disappear from WFC (Rutledge, Gaitor, etc).
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: LXTSN on July 08, 2024, 02:34:36 PMI heard that Garbutt was practicing last week, is that accurate?
Maybe Garbutt is ready to replace Fayad and they were really happy with Hubert as well.
Do we know what Haba's timeline is? He was posed to be the starter at the beginning of this season.

Quote from: Pete on July 08, 2024, 03:34:56 PMHubert actually looked better than Fayad, but de is still an area of need.

Ya, Hubert was popping out for a lot of us, eh?  I noticed that too.  But my word!  Another NAT!!  Are we going to start 11!  What is wrong with our USA scouting!?

If we start Hubert vs CGY after releasing Fayad outright, that seems like a bit of a risk, no?  And we don't know the status of Haba, but if he stays on the full 6-game, that once again leaves us very bare at DL.

Unless it was a FIFO problem, why didn't we just 1-game Fayad like every other GM does?!  Sometimes this team makes puzzling decisions.
Never go full Rider!

KINGCHARLES

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 09, 2024, 04:20:29 AMYa, Hubert was popping out for a lot of us, eh?  I noticed that too.  But my word!  Another NAT!!  Are we going to start 11!  What is wrong with our USA scouting!?
If we start Hubert vs CGY after releasing Fayad outright, that seems like a bit of a risk, no?  And we don't know the status of Haba, but if he stays on the full 6-game, that once again leaves us very bare at DL.

Unless it was a FIFO problem, why didn't we just 1-game Fayad like every other GM does?!  Sometimes this team makes puzzling decisions.

I'm thinking that the Bombers are gambling on getting Canadian players some very valuable in game reps. I'm curious behind this strategy because I think Brian Cole is better than Kramdi but that also coming from someone that doesn't coach or manage football for a living
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

Blue In BC

#26
Quote from: KINGCHARLES on July 09, 2024, 02:09:52 PMI'm thinking that the Bombers are gambling on getting Canadian players some very valuable in game reps. I'm curious behind this strategy because I think Brian Cole is better than Kramdi but that also coming from someone that doesn't coach or manage football for a living

That might be part of it but I'm not expecting Hubert to be starting this week to have 11 Canadians starting.

Getting Canadians more experience is worth doing but do you cut a player if he's better? I don't know that Fayad was better than Hubert or other choices.

What seems possible is that Garbutt will come off the 6 game IR early and that he is deemed better than Fayad.

Whether that's accurate or not is a TBD. Roster size is limited. SMS is limited. We could have offered a PR spot which he declined or we could have put him on the 1 game IR.  We'll never know all the whats and why's of a given situation.

 This is from the other site. 

Tyrell Ford – DB | Winnipeg Blue Bombers | 75.6 defensive grade

Tyrell Ford is the second highest ranked defensive back in the CFL after five weeks, showcasing his top-end ability to play the position.

He was once again a pivotal piece for the Blue Bombers defence in Week 5, allowing only one first down in passes thrown in his direction. Pivots have started avoiding Ford as of lately, the highest compliment a defensive back can get.

Brady Oliveira – RB | Winnipeg Blue Bombers | 83.6 offensive grade

Winnipeg finally found a way to get into the win column and a lot of it has to do with their star running back.

Oliveira had the highest receiving grade (90.7), third highest offensive grade (83.6) on his way to 129 rushing yards over 23 carries.
Edited 57 minutes ago by Colin Unger
2019 Grey Cup Champions

LXTSN

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 09, 2024, 02:25:07 PMTyrell Ford – DB | Winnipeg Blue Bombers | 75.6 defensive grade

Tyrell Ford is the second highest ranked defensive back in the CFL after five weeks, showcasing his top-end ability to play the position.

He was once again a pivotal piece for the Blue Bombers defence in Week 5, allowing only one first down in passes thrown in his direction. Pivots have started avoiding Ford as of lately, the highest compliment a defensive back can get.
Love to see this! There were a couple posters really trying to throw him under the bus after the first 2 games and it didn't really make any sense to me...

But the last couple games, he has become one of our most solid tacklers and has done very well in coverage too! Rookie (communication) mistakes did happen in the first couple games but that happens on every team at every position when starting rookies! I'm super happy with what he's able to provide!

Blue In BC

Ford has been a very pleasant surprise. So has Bond. When Parker is healthy he may be pushed to a role as a DI which is not a horrible option. Or as I've suggested there may be some kind of shuffling of the deck in the secondary. Several players can play multiple roles.

Anyway. For this week it's another guessing game as to what else is going to happen with movement. After today's 2nd practice for the week they may make some decisions but not announce those until tomorrow or Thursday.

I'm hoping Garbutt comes off the 6 game IR. OTOH I've only briefly seen him so IDK if he's better than Haba or the only healthy choice at the moment.

Haba and Lawson could be gone longer by being extended on another 6 game IR. Or they could be practising next week and coming off after finishing their 6 game stint.

Anyone know what their injuries were?

Based on that and maybe in spite of that I'd like to think we'll add another DE to the PR. The catch 22 is in the math when the PR is full.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: kkc60 on July 08, 2024, 10:33:11 PMRe-watching, and Hubert certainly plays a lot on STs as well.

Every backup plays on special teams.