Blue Bomber Transactions - July 8, 2024

Started by The Zipp, July 08, 2024, 02:09:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Zipp

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed American receiver Lucky Whitehead to the practice roster.

Whitehead (5-10, 177, Florida Atlantic; born: June 2, 1992, in Manassas, VA.) returns to the Bombers for a second stint after spending the past three seasons (2021-2023) with the BC Lions. Since his arrival to the CFL in 2019, Whitehead has recorded 248 receptions for 3,192 yards, 15 rushes for 118 yards, and 13 touchdowns in 58 CFL games, all starts.

In his first season with the Blue Bombers, Whitehead etched 521 yards on 52 catches and three touchdowns, 92 yards on nine rushes and one touchdown, and one kickoff return touchdown in 15 starts, ending the 2019 season as a Grey Cup champion.

His 2021 campaign with BC saw him earning CFL All-Star status after recording 60 catches for 932 yards and four touchdowns in just 12 games.

Prior to coming to the CFL, Whitehead was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Dallas Cowboys (NFL) in 2015. Over the next two seasons, Whitehead dressed for 30 NFL games, starting in two, and recorded nine receptions for 64 yards, and 20 rushes for 189 yards. He joined the New York Jets' practice roster before being released in 2018.

The team has also released American defensive end Ali Fayad.

Little bit surprised about the outright release of Fayad, must mean some injured players are coming back, not a PR option for him?

Jesse

Fayad???

Our now starting DE?!??

What the heck is happening this season?!?
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

I noticed that Fayad was getting washed out on a lot of plays. He lost contain and wasn't making an impact. No idea who will replace him with nobody on our PR.

It's possible one of our 6 game IR players is ready to start practising. However,nobody has completed the 6 game stint and that has an SMS impact. It's never been clear for me about the rule allowing a player to come off early and not count against SMS. IIRC, you can do that twice a season.

Is that what's going to happen?

I wonder what Whitehead's conditioning is like? It will take him some time to learn the playbook. OTOH, we had Mitchell on the AR against Ottawa as an emergency receiver. In theory Lucky might be able to do that as well?

While I'd think either Alston or Case might see the AR before him, it's a TBD. Lawler should be back in after a couple more games.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

The Zipp

Well there is a practice today so we will see what people can figure out with Fayad...

Blue In BC

Garbutt has been on the 6 game IR for 4 games and Haba has been on for 3 games. We haven't really heard much about what their injuries were or how long they might be out. I guess something must be up so practice reports and daily IR might suggest something.

I wasn't expecting a practice today but that suggests a 3 practice week with a walk through. Last week was only 2 + 1. So that would give more opportunity for somebody to get up to speed.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

LXTSN

I heard that Garbutt was practicing last week, is that accurate?
Maybe Garbutt is ready to replace Fayad and they were really happy with Hubert as well.
Do we know what Haba's timeline is? He was posed to be the starter at the beginning of this season.

Welcome back Whitehead! I think he is a perfect fit for the team right now. Quick underneath routes and screens is what we need from him.

LXTSN

The last practice report did list Garbutt as a full participant for both practices.
Does he have to wait another week before coming back?

Jesse

Quote from: LXTSN on July 08, 2024, 02:34:36 PMI heard that Garbutt was practicing last week, is that accurate?
Maybe Garbutt is ready to replace Fayad and they were really happy with Hubert as well.
Do we know what Haba's timeline is? He was posed to be the starter at the beginning of this season.

Welcome back Whitehead! I think he is a perfect fit for the team right now. Quick underneath routes and screens is what we need from him.

Garbutt was allowed to practice as it was his 4th week on the 6-game.

Does this mean we're going to take him off early?
My wife is amazing!

3rdand1.5

I like the Lucky signing, he is a high energy guy. We are lacking some emotion with Bailey and Hardrick moved on. He is a decent receiver, but I like his intangibles more. Teams know of him and his speed and will have to at least keep that speed in the back of their minds.

Our D-line has not been good enough. I know Jake is the whipping boy around here but he actually played pretty well last game. I do agree he should get less reps, but if the guys behind him are still learning, at least he knows what he is doing, the D-line woes are not all Jakes fault. If Fayed isn't deemed good enough I don't mind the release.

Sir Blue and Gold

Jeez, the Bombers are really putting lucky through the humility check. I suppose possibly he's just not in game shape. Are you humble enough yet?!?

Jesse

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 08, 2024, 02:53:54 PMJeez, the Bombers are really putting lucky through the humility check. I suppose possibly he's just not in game shape. Are you humble enough yet?!?

It's just a paperwork transaction. Happens to everyone who comes on midseason.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on July 08, 2024, 03:08:22 PMIt's just a paperwork transaction. Happens to everyone who comes on midseason.

Not always. Some players are added directly to the AR. Elks added Oakman directly to their AR in the last couple of days. TiCats added their new returner after 3 days.

PR is the norm and Whitehead could still be on the AR by Friday. Not probable but possible depending on his physical preparedness / conditioning.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

Hubert actually looked better than Fayad, but de is still an area of need. Disappointing that Garbutt is the only rookie of any worth we could find at de. Especially knowing going in we were replacing Jefferson. (Maybe we are bringing him back!) With a shorter season less of a hit on cap and more chance to stay healthy, I know wishful thinking, but he could tide us over til we find someone,maybe nfl cuts)

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on July 08, 2024, 02:38:23 PMGarbutt was allowed to practice as it was his 4th week on the 6-game.

Does this mean we're going to take him off early?

Must be, I suspect they offered Fayad a PR spot and he refused it, why else would they dump depth in a thin position?  Fayad had good mobility and was reasonably effective in his reps., pretty harsh to determine a player does not measure up and never will in the span of a few games.

LXTSN

3 games played and 1 tackle for Fayad. I did think he provided more pressure on the QB than when we had Adams there, but really not much else.
Let's hope that Garbutt and Hubert can be great!