Calgary @ Winnipeg

Started by Blue In BC, July 07, 2024, 03:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 09, 2024, 05:55:46 AMWatch again!  I have a keen eye on Fatboi as one of my fave players, and he's been getting big push on OLs forcing them close to the QB, which makes the QB antsy.  Ya, doesn't get a stat, but it makes QBs make mistakes.

I wish Fatboi could shed blocks a little better for run stop, but that's never been his strong suit.  I think the plan for him is to get him to tie up as many OL as he can, and do unexpected things to throw off OL and mess with the pocket.

Remember when everyone said Jake isn't an everydown guy?  Ya, well, he's an everydown guy now! (For a couple of seasons now)

You watch again. Opposing QB's have had way too long to look for receivers in every game. There is no push from the interior of the DL and DL in general.  We lose contain as well and QB's run for good yardage.

Someone can check but we must rank very low on sacks and pressure. The Lions put up 400 yards passing and over 100 yards running.

I'd disagree that no ratio means an equivalent to XFL or USFL.  Half the Canadian starters are usually OL. Who really watches them unless they make a mistake.

If we acquired Pickett to start at SAM replacing Kramdi do you think fans would complain we're starting 1 Canadian less. OTOH, if we acquired Dequoy to start in place of Alexander would fans complain about that.

Fans cheer for play makers. Nationality is just a bonus when you find a good one like Demski or Oliveria.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 09, 2024, 05:52:18 AMThe CFL is unique, and the ratio is unique, and we all know the stated goals and purposes -- and, the ratio has been around forever, at least since I was born, which is "forever" enough for me.

Origin of the ratio? You can blame Winnipeg. CFL teams were originally made up of local players. The east was dominating the Grey Cup under this system until Winnipeg amalgamated their local teams and brought in hired gun Americans.

"The year 1935 saw football in Winnipeg becoming firmly established, with an influx of American players, and the 'Pegs victory in the Grey Cup final. Frustrated by the long dominance of the Grey Cup by eastern teams, the 'Pegs administration hired a number of American import (now called international) players, taking advantage of the contacts they had made while playing exhibition games in the US and offering financial incentives to nine American players, including Fritz Hanson. Although American players had been recruited by teams before, Winnipeg was the first to import a large contingent. These hirings were controversial and eventually led to present-day rules governing player imports."

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/winnipeg-blue-bombers
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 08, 2024, 10:58:31 PMWell when another poster suggests a difference of opinion makes me non Canadian then I'm going to challenge that comment.

I haven't specifically said that Thomas, Kolo or Kramdi shouldn't be starting. However, I have questioned whether that was our best option. There are several others that have suggested others should be starting in front of them.

Saying they are the best Canadians we have at those positions is not a primary reason for them to start. The scouting didn't do a good job to bring in imports to compete for those positions.

There was zero doubt that those players were going to start before TC started.

Now I can't blame those 3 directly for our current record. I would point out that Thomas had a knock down but had no impact on pressuring the QB or making DT's. He wasn't the only one but our DL was not effective.

Kramdi has been burned seriously several times.  We don't have the luxury of film or know who was responsible for what on each play. Even the best get burned at times. However, I'm not seeing what we saw when we had Leggett or Maston always " making " plays.

You and I have had our conversational battles over the years. You refuse to see anything negative about the team. The rules make the game unique. The ratio is something only some die hard fans care about.

Try being a little less bias and look at the reality. Bombers had to start Hurl because we needed a 7th Canadian at the time. Obviously years ago, but that's the point.

Next time you go to a game, ask 3 fans sitting next to you what they think. Ask them if they can name 15 Canadians on the roster. Let me know what they say.

Congratulations on despising the ratio and not understanding the important role the CFL plays in promoting the participation of Canadian youth in the game of football.  It's not the fans in the stadium, watching on TSN, or arguing on CFL football forums that don't give a **** about the nationality of the players.  It's the vast majority of football fans in Canada that have tuned out the CFL and pay no attention to it because they do not relate to the game as part of their history, heritage or identity. 

Read the writing on the wall written in declining game attendance spread over decades, CFL football fans are a dying breed and dying breeds usually die.  Once the CFL is gone everyone can get on with watching NFL games on TV while washing it all down with shi.....nasty Budweiser beer, because who really cares where it comes from, eh?

LXTSN

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 09, 2024, 01:22:43 PMYou watch again. Opposing QB's have had way too long to look for receivers in every game. There is no push from the interior of the DL and DL in general.  We lose contain as well and QB's run for good yardage.

Someone can check but we must rank very low on sacks and pressure. The Lions put up 400 yards passing and over 100 yards running.

I'd disagree that no ratio means an equivalent to XFL or USFL.  Half the Canadian starters are usually OL. Who really watches them unless they make a mistake.

If we acquired Pickett to start at SAM replacing Kramdi do you think fans would complain we're starting 1 Canadian less. OTOH, if we acquired Dequoy to start in place of Alexander would fans complain about that.

Fans cheer for play makers. Nationality is just a bonus when you find a good one like Demski or Oliveria.
I partially disagree with the idea that we don't care about the nationality.
I'll give you some examples:
That year Rourke was close to getting MVP, he was all anyone could talk about! Collaros still got MVP and was easily better that season than Rourke was. ZC didn't generate nearly the excitement as Rourke.

Think about other sports. In the NBA, Canadians really get behind guys like Olynyk, Wiggins, or Dort but they wouldn't be guys that jump off the page if they were not Canadian. I think I could name examples very similar to this in every major sport.

I think that keeping the ratio makes the CFL unique, and keeps Canadians more interested. Isn't it kind of cool when you talk to people who went to school with some the guys in the CFL?
However, I do see the future of the CFL becoming more of the American if fans start to drop off.

theaardvark

Ratio does noting to hurt butts in seats and makes teh league interesting.  FA and the draft both would be done away with if ratio was gone. 

Draft, ELC's, developing players due to passport, all adds to the league.  And when one comes out and shines, again, it promotes the league.

If we wanted to be a semi-pro feeder league for the NFL and get UFL type crowds and ratings, for sure, dump the ratio.

But ratio makes the league better, more interesting and more competitive.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

ModAdmin

Need to Know | Week 6

....There was a lot of (Lucky) Whitehead flashing his trademark smile during his give and take with the media after practice and a genuine appreciation for a return to the place where his CFL career began after NFL stints with the Dallas Cowboys and New York Jets.
"It felt amazing (to get the call from the Blue Bombers)," said Whitehead, who will wear #13, the same number he wore in his rookie year with the Cowboys. "I was telling a couple of the guys, if I was to go anywhere, I'm glad it was here. I'm familiar with the city, the fans, the organization. So, I was definitely ecstatic about the opportunity.
"My first year here (2019) we won a championship. So, just the memories, the excitement that I had here when I was playing, the parade – it was epic stuff. I will say I still have close friends on the team."
Blue Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea was non-committal as to when Whitehead might get into the lineup, but it sounds like this Friday against Calgary would be considered a long shot right now.
"Well, he knows how we like things done," said O'Shea of Whitehead. "He certainly is a very positive guy. He's, dare I say, joyful, on a daily basis. He's good to have in the room. Always has energy and those are the non-football things he brings. When he gets out onto the field, he can be electric. Certainly, him having so many snaps in the CFL is a little different than some of our young guys.
"We still have to figure out where it all fits. His desire to come here and take the roll that he was given, that's a good start...."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/07/08/need-to-know-week-6/
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 09, 2024, 03:23:52 PMCongratulations on despising the ratio and not understanding the important role the CFL plays in promoting the participation of Canadian youth in the game of football.  It's not the fans in the stadium, watching on TSN, or arguing on CFL football forums that don't give a **** about the nationality of the players.  It's the vast majority of football fans in Canada that have tuned out the CFL and pay no attention to it because they do not relate to the game as part of their history, heritage or identity. 

Read the writing on the wall written in declining game attendance spread over decades, CFL football fans are a dying breed and dying breeds usually die.  Once the CFL is gone everyone can get on with watching NFL games on TV while washing it all down with shi.....nasty Budweiser beer, because who really cares where it comes from, eh?

The decline is due to several things. All games are now broadcast. Everybody has an HD big screen TV. Costs to attend live games has increased dramatically.  Other spending options for disposable income. Ratio has nothing to do with any of that. You've essentially supported my argument that many fans could care less about the ratio.

Nothing has changed to decrease the participation in youth sports. So your argument is completely out to lunch. The ratio is still there but the attendance is going down. How can we rationalize how Gen X or Gen Z relates to the CFL history or heritage of the game.

How does that fit into your argument of declining attendance when the ratio is still there?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on July 09, 2024, 04:03:54 PMRatio does noting to hurt butts in seats and makes teh league interesting.  FA and the draft both would be done away with if ratio was gone. 

Draft, ELC's, developing players due to passport, all adds to the league.  And when one comes out and shines, again, it promotes the league.

If we wanted to be a semi-pro feeder league for the NFL and get UFL type crowds and ratings, for sure, dump the ratio.

But ratio makes the league better, more interesting and more competitive.

The CFL is never going to be a feeder league for the NFL. Even without the spring leagues, they have vast amounts of graduating players every season. The CFL only loses a small handful to the NFL every season. Most are quickly back. Few last longer than 1 season.

Even without the ratio, FA would still exist. Players that have done well will want more money and more opportunity to play a larger role. Doesn't matter if they are Canadian or Americans that will be true.

The draft could still exist but players would have to actually beat out Americans to win a roster spot.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

to me the ratio as it sits is an non issue, we are starting more that the alloted ratio anyway.
What our biggest issue is that we can't seem to find imports that are a better alternative. Either that or (as mentioned earlier) we are entrenched with have certain Cdns and for that Americans at certain positions. Either way it's hurting us. Is Thomas better than Woods or Adams? If so then why haven't we found someone else, or why didn't we go after Oakman.
We keep trying to maintain a culture which is fine when you're winning but at some point you need to upgrade the talent. (sorry if some of this has been stated but its hard to read thru the long dissertations sometimes

Blue In BC

I'm looking forward to when Whitehead is activated. He may or may not have much immediate influence on the game but he's a popular fun guy. His entrances to the stadium alone are entertaining.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 09, 2024, 05:29:51 PMI'm looking forward to when Whitehead is activated. He may or may not have much immediate influence on the game but he's a popular fun guy. His entrances to the stadium alone are entertaining.

I think he'll be an asset once he's ready to go. I'm curious if he'll end up on KR/PR duties; Smith ain't it.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

The Zipp

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on July 09, 2024, 05:40:11 PMI think he'll be an asset once he's ready to go. I'm curious if he'll end up on KR/PR duties; Smith ain't it.

i would have my doubts...MOS seems to stick with guys.  I think Smith has been "OK"...not our biggest weakness but i don't think he has the "it" factor a premier returner has.  You can just tell that they have that initial burst and no hesitation when they catch the ball - Smith doesn't have that yet - he waits that one or two seconds.  In fairness some of the blocking has been bad as well.

He had a nice return last game that i think if he stretches it outside a bit more he might have taken it back.

theaardvark

Smith will get a longer leash returning.  He hasn't done badly, he had a couple brain farts in preseason, but also had some nice returns before he got nicked.  So far, he's done well with what he's been given, and I can see him getting better as he gets the feel for it.  Its a much different situation returning in the CFL.

That said, its nice to have Lucky as a backup option.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on July 09, 2024, 05:51:42 PMSmith will get a longer leash returning.  He hasn't done badly, he had a couple brain farts in preseason, but also had some nice returns before he got nicked.  So far, he's done well with what he's been given, and I can see him getting better as he gets the feel for it.  Its a much different situation returning in the CFL.

That said, its nice to have Lucky as a backup option.

Smith is the least of their problems, he's no Grant but he's been better than every alternative to Grant trotted out since last season.  Good to see ST improved play on both sides of the ball.  Hate when opposing returners regularly bring the ball back 25-40 yds. when both the O and the D are underperforming that's a win killer.

The Zipp

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 09, 2024, 06:06:36 PMSmith is the least of their problems, he's no Grant but he's been better than every alternative to Grant trotted out since last season.  Good to see ST improved play on both sides of the ball.  Hate when opposing returners regularly bring the ball back 25-40 yds. when both the O and the D are underperforming that's a win killer.

Think last season the coaching may have been the issue..or a significant contributor to the issues.