The good, the bad, the ugly - Ott at Wpg, Jul 5, 2024

Started by Cool Spot, July 06, 2024, 03:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cool Spot

This is my very first Good/Bad/Ugly thread ever, and first time even commenting on one. It may be a little rough.  :o

The Good
* Wpg goes 1-4, instead of dropping to 0-5
* Combination of Streveler and Oliveira's running game very impactful, gives the Bomber offense a new element
* Castillo's kicking looked great, went 6/6 for FGs
* Defense coverage, particularly in the secondary, played well. Bonds' interception was great
* Special teams coverage played pretty well
* Forced turnovers on defense were well-earned

The Bad
* On offense, quite a few stalled drives. The lack of a passing attack really showed once Ottawa tightened up on defense
* Don't know what it is, but Dustin Crum has Wpg's number when it comes to rushing
* Defense gave up a couple of long plays
* I know it went in Wpg's favor, but I don't know about that lateral at the end of the first half that wasn't ruled a forward pass, but a fumbled lateral that Wpg recovered. To me, it looked either very slightly forward, or straight sideways but not backward

The Ugly
* The two hits, one by each team, on the sliding QB. Whether or not they were intentional, the whole point of QB sliding is to avoid those types of things

Jesse

Using Strev to create space for Brady was excellent. Need to be able to do the same thing when Zach is under centre.

Because, let's face it, 100 yards passing isn't going to win many games.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

I was surprised the lateral wasn't overturned. It was close and I suppose not enough to overturn the call on the field. Either way it was a break for the Bombers IMO.

Great strip by Willie and great pick by Bond.

Hardly any stats for the front 4. Zero from Fayad, Woods or Thomas. The tackles were made at the 2nd level by our LB's and secondary. We gave up 190 yards rushing. The upside is Ottawa only passed for 126 yards.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

The Good
Heroic efforts by Brady and Strev
O line had their best game this year—encouraging
Nice pick by Bonds, and play by our secondary
Castillo was rock solid going 6- 6
Adams had a decent game at tackle

The Bad
Bighill and Jefferson both have lost a step and missed tackles they used to make

The Ugly
The unnecessary hits to the head both sliding Qbs took- this needs to be eliminated from the game as it defeats the purpose of the slide. It's sim9le, the guys sliding, back off. To me any hit to the head of a slid8ng Qb should be a game ejection, get rid of the cheap crap once and for all

gordo

The Good
A fabulous win!!!!!
I got in without my ticket in Apple Wallet Ticketmaster didn't crap out on me at the gate!
Streveler - he's not a throwing qb but he gives it his all and does what it takes to win. He runs and throws his body in harms way to get an extra yard. He led us to victory. Very happy. And his passing was much better today than ever. His shot put delivery was not seen today. A keeper and a great leader. 
Brady I said if he was healthy and game ready he would be motivated and runs all over the Ottawa defense and lead us to victory. He did. The defeats are over if Brady is back.
Defense - good enough and Willy had his best game.
Bond - we uncovered a gem in training camp. Nice pick. And good run back.
Kickers - both good today.
10 bucks off at Save on Foods - best promotion of the year.  (who gets all those left over gift cards?)

The Bad
I could not find an IPA in Princess Auto Stadium anywhere.  Last game the guy at the upper deck concourse sold me his version of an IPA that he said everyone loved.  It was a Lager from Spain.  And terrible even for a Lager. Today I searched the lower bowl concourse. No IPA.  I love the Bombers and IPA.  Coors pre-game is ok at 5 bucks a can but for 13 bucks you need to give me a decent IPA. Please fix this.

The sun in the upper deck was bad too for us fair haired pasty skinned British descendants. But second half was a gorgeous Winnipeg summer evening to watch the Bombers win. The sun is not a Bomber problem and I won't complain in November when my feet are frozen.

No other bad items. I really enjoyed this win. Even without an IPA.

The Ugly
No IPA anywhere.... oh wait.... see above.




Throw Long Bannatyne

#5
Somebody mentioned on the post game show that this game was a throwback to 2019 when Strev. was the starter at the end of the season between Nichols injury and Zach's arrival, he plays about the same way now as he did back then.  Also the strong reliance on FG's as in Medlock's day and strong ST play on both sides.  Maybe it's an omen of an upswing with the return of Zach and better things to come.

Tiger

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 06, 2024, 03:51:00 AMI was surprised the lateral wasn't overturned. It was close and I suppose not enough to overturn the call on the field. Either way it was a break for the Bombers IMO.

Great strip by Willie and great pick by Bond.

Hardly any stats for the front 4. Zero from Fayad, Woods or Thomas. The tackles were made at the 2nd level by our LB's and secondary. We gave up 190 yards rushing. The upside is Ottawa only passed for 126 yards.

Tell me what you think about Woods when you watch the replay.  I thought he did ok and showed potential.
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Jesse on July 06, 2024, 03:35:50 AMUsing Strev to create space for Brady was excellent. Need to be able to do the same thing when Zach is under centre.

Because, let's face it, 100 yards passing isn't going to win many games.

Fair, but on the other hand, when you rush for 212 yards you probably don't lose very often either.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: gordo on July 06, 2024, 04:23:04 AMThe Ugly
No IPA anywhere.... oh wait.... see above.


Can't say I'm a fan of IPA's. I like more red & brown ales or lagers. Pilsner is garbage! :D

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 06, 2024, 04:30:31 AMSomebody mentioned on the post game show that this game was a throwback to 2019 when Strev. was the starter at the end of the season between Nichols injury and Zach's arrival, he plays about the same way now as he did back then.  Maybe it's an omen of an upswing with the return of Zach and better things to come.

I noticed Streveler was still fighting for yards near the goal line near the end of the game when he had the first down already. In those situations he should just go down and not take the chance of pulling a groin or muscle. He's our main bread and butter until Zach is back fully healthy. I know he has that fire, but need to use then noggin' at times as well.

Throw Long Bannatyne

#10
Quote from: ichabod_crane on July 06, 2024, 05:15:13 AMI noticed Streveler was still fighting for yards near the goal line near the end of the game when he had the first down already. In those situations he should just go down and not take the chance of pulling a groin or muscle. He's our main bread and butter until Zach is back fully healthy. I know he has that fire, but need to use then noggin' at times as well.

Next game is against the Stamps so better hope Zach is bach, what worked tonight isn't going to work against them....at least not well enough to win the game.

Pretty clear Strev's. QB skills have not improved enough for him to ever become a CFL starter, he is what he always was, a gadget QB that can win games occasionally though unorthodox methods, this game only confirmed this to be true.  Hopefully Walters has an eye on the future replacement for Collaros and doesn't waste time pursuing or investing in the wrong candidate.

55StickCar

Do they have Fort Garry Dark at the stadium. Good local stuff.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 06, 2024, 05:25:16 AMNext game is against the Stamps so better hope Zach is bach, what worked tonight isn't going to work against them....at least not well enough to win the game.

Pretty clear Strev's. QB skills have not improved enough for him to ever become a CFL starter, he is what he always was, a gadget QB that can win games occasionally though unorthodox methods, this game only confirmed this to be true.  Hopefully Walters has an eye on the future replacement for Collaros and doesn't waste time pursuing or investing in the wrong candidate.

I would have to agree. His longer throwing accuracy is still all over the place and he can be impatient at times. Short to mid range he is OK, but he boffed a short one to Olivera one time I recall in this last game. With Streves it seems if nothing is quickly available to throw to he will just barrel ahead head first for whatever he can get. Now maybe the team says to him to do that as less chance of picks, but that is not true long term starting material in my estimation.

With the amount of practice he has had the past 5 years you would think he would get accuracy figured out by now, but maybe it's just his natural throwing stance or something else similar to that. NOT like he has some speed merchants to throw long to though anyway right now! 😮 Maybe Lucky can be that guy? Just toss it long and hope he can run under it! :) Streves improvisational skills while on the run to complete a pass are nowhere near Zach even with his slow start to the season.

Blueforlife

The good
Run game
The bad
Penalties
The ugly
Nothing

TecnoGenius

Quote from: gordo on July 06, 2024, 04:23:04 AMThe sun in the upper deck was bad too for us fair haired pasty skinned British descendants. But second half was a gorgeous Winnipeg summer evening to watch the Bombers win. The sun is not a Bomber problem and I won't complain in November when my feet are frozen.

That's because you're sitting on the bad side!!  E.S.S!  E.S.S!

(Kidding, I love all my sunny-side compatriots!  And E.S. fans generally are way higher energy, louder & and more fun.)
Never go full Rider!