Guardian cap

Started by Waffler, July 05, 2024, 02:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waffler

Size is not all. The internal cushion matters too. They have started to manufacture position specific helmets now, the QB one has specific padding meant to protect one's head from a bounce on the turf which they have determined is the most common cause of QB concussion. So far there are 3 helmets approved just for QB's and Dru is not wearing one. Riddell makes 2 and Vicis the other. That said I am not sure if anyone in the CFL is wearing a position specific helmet as they are relatively new.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

theaardvark

Quote from: Waffler on July 06, 2024, 08:53:00 PMSize is not all. The internal cushion matters too. They have started to manufacture position specific helmets now, the QB one has specific padding meant to protect one's head from a bounce on the turf which they have determined is the most common cause of QB concussion. So far there are 3 helmets approved just for QB's and Dru is not wearing one. Riddell makes 2 and Vicis the other. That said I am not sure if anyone in the CFL is wearing a position specific helmet as they are relatively new.

Dru's injury, from what I saw, would not have been lessened bu a QB specific helmet.  The hit was from the side, and he did not have his lid on securely, so it came off, possibly doing neck/concussive damage as well. 

Yes, lids with bigger padding in the back for head to turf collisions would be a fantastic idea for all QB's.  Maybe even a HANS type collar is they could do it without limiting vision.  Or that big widget like Neufeld wears.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Waffler

https://theconversation.com/new-nfl-helmet-accessory-reduces-concussions-but-players-and-fans-may-not-be-ready-to-embrace-safety-over-swag-236928

"In a multibillion-dollar sport in which the helmet is the preeminent branding space and symbol of the game, what happens when the imperative of player safety conflicts with its visual appeal?

We're about to find out."

Interesting read. I am curious to see what happens in the NFL,  probably the same as CFL though. One person wearing it so far as I know.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Jesse

Quote from: Waffler on September 08, 2024, 04:51:42 PMhttps://theconversation.com/new-nfl-helmet-accessory-reduces-concussions-but-players-and-fans-may-not-be-ready-to-embrace-safety-over-swag-236928

"In a multibillion-dollar sport in which the helmet is the preeminent branding space and symbol of the game, what happens when the imperative of player safety conflicts with its visual appeal?

We're about to find out."

Interesting read. I am curious to see what happens in the NFL,  probably the same as CFL though. One person wearing it so far as I know.

I'm not sure why the caps aren't in team colours with the logo included.
My wife is amazing!

DM83

lol. The great gazoo! Why don't we issue the Michelin man padding. Or have the. Linemen who never get concussed a sumo wrestling suit.

TBURGESS

This is what they remind me of...

The Great Gazoo Cartoon Character Metal Enamel 1 Inch Tall Pin
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

theaardvark

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Waffler

Since we are posting pics, my first thought of it was this.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on September 09, 2024, 04:17:03 AMlol. The great gazoo! Why don't we issue the Michelin man padding. Or have the. Linemen who never get concussed a sumo wrestling suit.

Every player can play the whole game in the ad-break hamster balls.  There will be lots of nausea, but at least no one will get injured!

It'll be tricky to throw the ball into the one little hole though.
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Marino, Brown, et al go after whatever they can, heads, knees, ankles, etc. The temptation to injure and thus remove a player that is killing your team must be tremendous. Let's not be naive. Teams have had bounties on star players in the past and no doubt do today. Whatever a guy like Brown gets fined for taking out a QB will pale on what the bounty may pay him. The answer to protecting our star players lies in the hands of the players association IMO. If they will do nothing, how can any other part of the CFL be held accountable? What ever happened to brotherhood?
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on September 10, 2024, 05:53:08 AMThe answer to protecting our star players lies in the hands of the players association IMO. If they will do nothing, how can any other part of the CFL be held accountable? What ever happened to brotherhood?

But QBs only hold around 1/24th of the seats at the big PA table...  And D's hold 1/2.  I wonder who wins those "protect the QB" votes, eh?
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 10, 2024, 07:42:12 AMBut QBs only hold around 1/24th of the seats at the big PA table...  And D's hold 1/2.  I wonder who wins those "protect the QB" votes, eh?
As you've said before, the issue extends beyond QBs. Receivers, for example, also need protection from predatory D players. You can't be successful as an organization if one part is harming the other. All professional leagues have come to this realization.
Go Bombers!

theaardvark

There are not a whole lots of injuries, percentage wise, of players in the league.  The protective equipment is quite effective, considering the wear and tear that players are subjected to. 

Can we come up with devices that better protect players? 

Helmets already reduce head injuries an incredible amount, can they get that number to zero?

Braces reduce strain on joints to prevent re-injury, are there devices that can be used to prevent injury in the first place?  Devices that stop knees from bending past their natural range of motion, or ankles from rolling... 

I'm sure there could be an exoskeleton that protects a player from any injury, but any device that protects also limits mobility.  Guardian Caps do have an effect on a players movements, and make them a slightly larger target.  For some players, that extra protection is worth it.  For most, they think it makes them look weak. 

In the end, for most of this, testosterone rules.  Cups, knee pads, thigh pads, flak vests, guardian caps.  Not sure what the league rules are about protective equipment, can LB's still wear the Osh mega shoulders?  Would they?

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on September 10, 2024, 05:21:37 PMThere are not a whole lots of injuries, percentage wise, of players in the league.  The protective equipment is quite effective, considering the wear and tear that players are subjected to. 

Can we come up with devices that better protect players? 

Helmets already reduce head injuries an incredible amount, can they get that number to zero?

Braces reduce strain on joints to prevent re-injury, are there devices that can be used to prevent injury in the first place?  Devices that stop knees from bending past their natural range of motion, or ankles from rolling... 

I'm sure there could be an exoskeleton that protects a player from any injury, but any device that protects also limits mobility.  Guardian Caps do have an effect on a players movements, and make them a slightly larger target.  For some players, that extra protection is worth it.  For most, they think it makes them look weak. 

In the end, for most of this, testosterone rules.  Cups, knee pads, thigh pads, flak vests, guardian caps.  Not sure what the league rules are about protective equipment, can LB's still wear the Osh mega shoulders?  Would they?

Keeping in mind that the Guardian Caps are to help prevent CTE, which is a cumulative effect which may or may not ever result in missed games. I don't know how anyone can claim there are a low amount of injuries. I imagine, percentage wise, injuries are at 100% across the league. Many will experience deficits of various types throughout their life.

Not to mention the average life expectancy of a professional football player is somewhere in the 50s.

Yup. Just a ridiculous statement, aards.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on September 10, 2024, 05:39:33 PMKeeping in mind that the Guardian Caps are to help prevent CTE, which is a cumulative effect which may or may not ever result in missed games. I don't know how anyone can claim there are a low amount of injuries. I imagine, percentage wise, injuries are at 100% across the league. Many will experience deficits of various types throughout their life.

Not to mention the average life expectancy of a professional football player is somewhere in the 50s.

Yup. Just a ridiculous statement, aards.

That's shocking, a phenomenon of that magnitude is usually investigated or hushed up by special interests.