CFL on CTV

Started by Blueforlife, July 02, 2024, 05:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueforlife

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 09, 2024, 08:40:11 PMAnd you are content living off this "free TV"?
I don't use it now.  Did most of my life.  Yes I was happy with a handful of channels, especially back in the day when you could get hockey, baseball and cfl for free.

It's all you need and stream the rest.  Of course I see the advantages or cable and satellite but that's not where my priorities are. Contribute to the discussion or choose to ignore please.
 The topic seams semi popular and it's here for people to learn and discuss this viable option.

Quote from: Waffler on July 09, 2024, 08:39:49 PMIndoor rabbit ears will not pick up CTV. Rooftop should. The transmitter is 40 miles south of the Peg, CBC and Global broadcast from downtown and can be watched with a paper clip. I'd be wary buying an antenna for this, make sure there are returns if you can't get CTV.
CTV could likely be picked up with a good powered directional antenna on the South side but yes I remember that being better in Southern MB.  I would lose one channel in summer, I was near hwy 44 and 59.  I also ran rabbit years but found the roof top (boosted) was better.  Analog use to service the North Whiteshell CBC but HD changed that I think.  Get your antenna from pauto on sale, they will return, read the reviews, you could even make one I'm sure with some research.  My root top was in rough shape missing parts but I ran new coaxial, not sure if that did anything.  The booster allowed me to run signal to more rooms, longer distances.

Father in law gets a couple stations in East Selkirk with old school rabbit years.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: pdirks67 on July 09, 2024, 04:29:44 PMThen, either (1) turn the channel to CTV, if they are cable subscribers, or (2) turn off the TV and go outside to do something more productive if they are streamers.

There's something more productive than watching every CFL game every week?  Oops, I've been doing it wrong for 10 years then!   :D  :D  :D  :D

(Sssshhhh, don't tell my wife!)
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: pdirks67 on July 09, 2024, 04:26:16 PMIf you have a cable package with CTV for free, is it not also common to have TSN included for free? I'm pretty sure I used to get TSN for free when I had MTS cable service a few years back.

That's true, I forgot about that.  You get the single TSN channel with nearly every package.  However, back when I finally started paying for full TSN they were regularly missing around 1.5 games every couple of weeks.  I swear they did it on purpose: I want to see every minute of every game.  So now I pay!
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blueforlife on July 09, 2024, 09:43:58 PMI don't use it now.  Did most of my life.  Yes I was happy with a handful of channels, especially back in the day when you could get hockey, baseball and cfl for free.

It's all you need and stream the rest.  Of course I see the advantages or cable and satellite but that's not where my priorities are. Contribute to the discussion or choose to ignore please.
 The topic seams semi popular and it's here for people to learn and discuss this viable option.
CTV could likely be picked up with a good powered directional antenna on the South side but yes I remember that being better in Southern MB.  I would lose one channel in summer, I was near hwy 44 and 59.  I also ran rabbit years but found the roof top (boosted) was better.  Analog use to service the North Whiteshell CBC but HD changed that I think.  Get your antenna from pauto on sale, they will return, read the reviews, you could even make one I'm sure with some research.  My root top was in rough shape missing parts but I ran new coaxial, not sure if that did anything.  The booster allowed me to run signal to more rooms, longer distances.

Father in law gets a couple stations in East Selkirk with old school rabbit years.

You help make my point, you can't stream for free either, to start with you are paying a service provider to bring in the Internet service unless you are borrowing with your laptop from fast food joints in your locality with free access. VPN is also not free, so to use CFL+ you need to pay for that service as well. Stuff used to be free, but not so much anymore as it's heavily controlled and monetized.

Blueforlife

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 10, 2024, 04:53:05 AMYou help make my point, you can't stream for free either, to start with you are paying a service provider to bring in the Internet service unless you are borrowing with your laptop from fast food joints in your locality with free access. VPN is also not free, so to use CFL+ you need to pay for that service as well. Stuff used to be free, but not so much anymore as it's heavily controlled and monetized.
Free to air TV is free.  Other than the power it takes to power a TV and if you have a powered antenna.  Really splitting hairs here and you are not contributing to the thread.