CFL on CTV

Started by Blueforlife, July 02, 2024, 05:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Blueforlife on July 08, 2024, 10:42:54 PMWpg changed to HD years ago, I would suspect much of the country is the same.  The quality of free to air TV is exceptional as it's not a compressed signal I believe.

I will have to test my digital antennae some day. I know the friend who gave it to me when he moved back to Spain said it worked great as he does not watch much tv anyway.  I just checked it and it has plugins to old style coax connection and USB port too. Might be an option to ditch my cable tv package and just keep internet plan. Not sure how much TSN and SportsNet streaming feeds cost and if it makes any sense to go that route as my basic cable tv package with TSN1-5 + almost all SportsNet stations costs peanuts as it is.

Blueforlife

Quote from: ichabod_crane on July 08, 2024, 11:01:59 PMI will have to test my digital antennae some day. I know the friend who gave it to me when he moved back to Spain said it worked great as he does not watch much tv anyway.  I just checked it and it has plugins to old style coax connection and USB port too. Might be an option to ditch my cable tv package and just keep internet plan. Not sure how much TSN and SportsNet streaming feeds cost and if it makes any sense to go that route as my basic cable tv package with TSN1-5 + almost all SportsNet stations costs peanuts as it is.
Streaming would save a bit likely.  If you can get a few stations free to air it's all you likely need plus stream sports.  I was streaming NHL on CBC gem but it got blocked during the playoffs.  Not sure if it will be back.  It was free and very good quality.

Free to air was more consistent in signal strength for me in the winter on a cold day.  It is impacted by weather and temperature a little. Lesser if closer to the tower. 

pdirks67

As a person who hasn't had cable tv in several years, I find this super-annoying. I pay for TSN streaming for the CFL. If you want to show the game on CTV, knock yourself out! But why, why, why not also show it on TSN??

How many young people have cable these days? None of my 3 kids from ages 27-33 even thought about buying cable when they moved out.

I'm not sure who this benefits. If you had any intention of ever watching a CFL game, you'd already have TSN.

Blueforlife

Quote from: pdirks67 on July 09, 2024, 01:08:07 AMAs a person who hasn't had cable tv in several years, I find this super-annoying. I pay for TSN streaming for the CFL. If you want to show the game on CTV, knock yourself out! But why, why, why not also show it on TSN??

How many young people have cable these days? None of my 3 kids from ages 27-33 even thought about buying cable when they moved out.

I'm not sure who this benefits. If you had any intention of ever watching a CFL game, you'd already have TSN.
I see your frustration about streaming and them not being on TSN.  The benefits are that so many people have and watch CTV that it will generate TV viewers and create some new fans or bring some back.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: pdirks67 on July 09, 2024, 01:08:07 AMAs a person who hasn't had cable tv in several years, I find this super-annoying. I pay for TSN streaming for the CFL. If you want to show the game on CTV, knock yourself out! But why, why, why not also show it on TSN??

Yes, it's bizarre.

I just realized, this means you only get 1 chance to catch these games on CTV -- at the time of the live showing! -- as I seriously doubt CTV will replay them 3 times in the wee hours like TSN does with most games!

I guess there's a tiny chance TSN will still re-air these CTV games in the wee hours?  But then again, maybe that would make it not "exclusive".
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blueforlife on July 09, 2024, 03:51:48 AMI see your frustration about streaming and them not being on TSN.  The benefits are that so many people have and watch CTV that it will generate TV viewers and create some new fans or bring some back.

Ya, way more people have the basic Shaw/Bell/whatever TV plan which of course always includes CTV for "free".  Waaaaay less people actually pay for TSN.

So CFL might get some channel-flippers (yes, they still exist!) to discover the game and become fans.

In theory it's a good thing, but no one seems to be able to explain why they can't air it on TSN also.
Never go full Rider!

markf

Same here. And an antenna does not work for me.  So can not watch Bombers Saskatchewan.

what business genius thought this was a good idea.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 09, 2024, 05:14:45 AMYes, it's bizarre.

I just realized, this means you only get 1 chance to catch these games on CTV -- at the time of the live showing! -- as I seriously doubt CTV will replay them 3 times in the wee hours like TSN does with most games!

I guess there's a tiny chance TSN will still re-air these CTV games in the wee hours?  But then again, maybe that would make it not "exclusive".

Can one not watch these games and the replays on CFL+ if one chooses?  All you need is a decent VPN to disguise your location.

theaardvark

Do modern TV's have an antenna hookup?

I know Princess Auto has digital antennas on sale all the time...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

pdirks67

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 09, 2024, 05:16:33 AMYa, way more people have the basic Shaw/Bell/whatever TV plan which of course always includes CTV for "free".  Waaaaay less people actually pay for TSN.

So CFL might get some channel-flippers (yes, they still exist!) to discover the game and become fans.

In theory it's a good thing, but no one seems to be able to explain why they can't air it on TSN also.

If you have a cable package with CTV for free, is it not also common to have TSN included for free? I'm pretty sure I used to get TSN for free when I had MTS cable service a few years back.

I can see some of those who do pay for the TSN stream investigating "free" streams and dropping their subscriptions due to frustration and the realization that they can watch CFL games for free. Which isn't good for TSN, and does nothing to increase the value of the rights for the CFL.

I can see the decrease in TSN streaming viewership more than offsetting any increase in viewership from non-fans stumbling across the game on CTV. If so, this doesn't help the CFL. It hurts TSN. It annoys close followers of the CFL. The only party that may have some upside CTV who are probably trying to claw back some cordcutters to cable TV.

pdirks67

Quote from: theaardvark on July 09, 2024, 04:00:22 PMDo modern TV's have an antenna hookup?

I know Princess Auto has digital antennas on sale all the time...

LOL. It would be peak CFL to force people to go buy rabbit ears instead of figuring out how to grow the market for younger potential fans.

I'm guessing that most fans won't realize that the game isn't on TSN until 5 minutes after kickoff. They'll then curse for 5 minutes and check the schedule. Then, either (1) turn the channel to CTV, if they are cable subscribers, or (2) turn off the TV and go outside to do something more productive if they are streamers.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: pdirks67 on July 09, 2024, 04:26:16 PMIf you have a cable package with CTV for free, is it not also common to have TSN included for free? I'm pretty sure I used to get TSN for free when I had MTS cable service a few years back.

I can see some of those who do pay for the TSN stream investigating "free" streams and dropping their subscriptions due to frustration and the realization that they can watch CFL games for free. Which isn't good for TSN, and does nothing to increase the value of the rights for the CFL.

I can see the decrease in TSN streaming viewership more than offsetting any increase in viewership from non-fans stumbling across the game on CTV. If so, this doesn't help the CFL. It hurts TSN. It annoys close followers of the CFL. The only party that may have some upside CTV who are probably trying to claw back some cordcutters to cable TV.

No matter how you slice it, "free" does not enter into the equation.  Nothing is free.

Blueforlife

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 09, 2024, 04:55:55 PMNo matter how you slice it, "free" does not enter into the equation.  Nothing is free.
Free to air TV is free, you get a handful of channels in HD

Yes modern TVs have coaxial but modern antennas might have different outfits.

Even old antennas pick up HD.

Waffler

Indoor rabbit ears will not pick up CTV. Rooftop should. The transmitter is 40 miles south of the Peg, CBC and Global broadcast from downtown and can be watched with a paper clip. I'd be wary buying an antenna for this, make sure there are returns if you can't get CTV.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blueforlife on July 09, 2024, 08:15:21 PMFree to air TV is free, you get a handful of channels in HD

Yes modern TVs have coaxial but modern antennas might have different outfits.

Even old antennas pick up HD.

And you are content living off this "free TV"?