CFL on CTV

Started by Blueforlife, July 02, 2024, 05:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueforlife

https://3downnation.com/2024/07/01/cfl-wanted-games-to-be-on-ctv-for-a-long-time-randy-ambrosie/

For those without TV package get the rabbit ears or powered antenna ready!!!

FYI you get HD free to air now but the signal doesn't go as far as the old analog did back in the day!

I was able to get 4 to 6 stations (HD) depending on weather/season at my old house (near hwy 44 and 59) on the roof top antenna (boosted) and rabbitt ears worked too.

Princess auto sells cheap antennas.

Channel 7.  Easier around Wpg or Southern MB I think to pull in a signal.

BLUEBOMBER

Good that the CFL is going back to basic cable. Wish Blue Jays games would be free too.

Blueforlife

Quote from: BLUEBOMBER on July 02, 2024, 06:03:13 PMGood that the CFL is going back to basic cable. Wish Blue Jays games would be free too.
Best days of my life lazy Sunday afternoon and Jays on CBC

ichabod_crane

This was announced already before the Canada Day long weekend on the CFL website. Great if you are outside cable range or WIFI/IP connection like the "golden" ears of yore!! :) Remember living about an hour outside of Winnipeg trying to pick up CBC Brandon to watch the games as they were not subject to the blackout. Sometimes came in via ionosphere skip like radio. Usually pretty fuzzy, but enough to see many times. Have memories of 1981 and 1982 seeing Eugene Goodlow doing record receiving. We could use him right now for sure!! :) Evenings best as ionosphere moves higher up in the sky and signals travel farther both radio bands and even old fashioned tv broadcast bands.

Also remember those CB Radios you could get people WAY DOWN south sometimes to chat with. Life and times of teenagers in the latter 70's to early 80's in the countryside! :) Also remember picking up KCND tv from North Dakota sometimes too back in those years.

TecnoGenius

I still see no indication if TSN will also air these games (or not)

In any event, since I'm not a cord cutter I should get all games whether on TSN or CTV.  I still don't see how TSN will not simulcast the show on their bunch of channels.  I still don't know how all of this jives with TSN's "exclusive" CFL contract, which can't be unilaterally negated by the CFL signing something with CTV.  But who knows what backroom deals are being done with all 3 parties.
Never go full Rider!

DCM

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 03, 2024, 08:21:15 AMI still see no indication if TSN will also air these games (or not)

In any event, since I'm not a cord cutter I should get all games whether on TSN or CTV.  I still don't see how TSN will not simulcast the show on their bunch of channels.  I still don't know how all of this jives with TSN's "exclusive" CFL contract, which can't be unilaterally negated by the CFL signing something with CTV.  But who knows what backroom deals are being done with all 3 parties.
https://static.cfl.ca/wp-content/uploads/2024/06/2024-CFL-Broadcast-Mastera_updatedJune19_2024.pdf

In Canada it's on CTV. If it's on TSN, it'll be listed as such like the Grey Cup which is: "CTV/TSN/RDS". So if people don't have access to CTV, then well, I'm not sure what they'll do. We don't have cable here, just TSN online so we have to go to a friends to watch the game on CTV for those ones.
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DCM on July 05, 2024, 01:25:12 AMhttps://static.cfl.ca/wp-content/uploads/2024/06/2024-CFL-Broadcast-Mastera_updatedJune19_2024.pdf

Ok, that chart indicates that indeed the CTV shows will not be shown on the TSN family of channels.  What a strange thing to do.  They are using TSN cams, TSN crew, TSN panel, yet not showing it on TSN.

I still wonder about the TSN contract.  How do you magically negate that?  Is CTV and TSN owned by the same company?  That would explain things a bit.  If not, surely TSN has to agree to this contract change.  "Exclusive" usually means exclusive.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 05, 2024, 03:14:14 AMOk, that chart indicates that indeed the CTV shows will not be shown on the TSN family of channels.  What a strange thing to do.  They are using TSN cams, TSN crew, TSN panel, yet not showing it on TSN.

I still wonder about the TSN contract.  How do you magically negate that?  Is CTV and TSN owned by the same company?  That would explain things a bit.  If not, surely TSN has to agree to this contract change.  "Exclusive" usually means exclusive.

Just read the article in the first post.
My wife is amazing!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 03, 2024, 08:21:15 AMI still see no indication if TSN will also air these games (or not)

https://static.cfl.ca/wp-content/uploads/2024/06/2024-CFL-Broadcast-Mastera_updatedJune19_2024.pdf

No, only playoffs & GC simulcast on TSN and CTV (well for the Eastern playoffs anyway). Regular season games strictly on CTV on Sundays and RDS too if an Als game.

ichabod_crane

quote author=TecnoGenius link=msg=1626575 date=1719994875]
I still see no indication if TSN will also air these games (or not)

[/quote]

CTV and TSN are owned by the same company. This is not a backroom deal. I know people have been pushing to have the GC on CTV for years already for those with NO TSN subscription. You been living under the stump man?! ;)

ichabod_crane

Quote from: DCM on July 05, 2024, 01:25:12 AMhttps://static.cfl.ca/wp-content/uploads/2024/06/2024-CFL-Broadcast-Mastera_updatedJune19_2024.pdf

In Canada it's on CTV. If it's on TSN, it'll be listed as such like the Grey Cup which is: "CTV/TSN/RDS". So if people don't have access to CTV, then well, I'm not sure what they'll do. We don't have cable here, just TSN online so we have to go to a friends to watch the game on CTV for those ones.

Ever hear of rabbit ears? CTV broadcasts in digital over the airwaves now. I have an aerial I can borrow you as I know it works here in Calgary at least! ;) Can get about 5-6 channels the old way. Whether it's in HD or not I have no idea.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 05, 2024, 03:14:14 AMIs CTV and TSN owned by the same company?  That would explain things a bit.  If not, surely TSN has to agree to this contract change.  "Exclusive" usually means exclusive.

Yes, owned by same company for years already. You can thank Mickey Mouse partly for that! :D

From Google:

The Sports Network (TSN) is a Canadian English language discretionary sports specialty channel owned by CTV Specialty Television, owned jointly by Bell Media (70%) and ESPN Inc. (30%), itself a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company.

From Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sports_Network#:~:text=The%20Sports%20Network%20(TSN)%20is,of%20The%20Walt%20Disney%20Company.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ichabod_crane on July 05, 2024, 06:22:26 AMCTV and TSN are owned by the same company. This is not a backroom deal. I know people have been pushing to have the GC on CTV for years already for those with NO TSN subscription. You been living under the stump man?! ;)

Ya, that's the info I was looking for and now it all makes sense.  I have to live under a stump to know what company I don't care about bought some other company?  With all the mergers & acquisitions going on the last few years, I really couldn't care less -- just don't ruin my you-know-what!

And ya, just call me Stumpy!  I follow almost zero Canadian news.
Never go full Rider!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 05, 2024, 09:16:10 AMYa, that's the info I was looking for and now it all makes sense.  I have to live under a stump to know what company I don't care about bought some other company?  With all the mergers & acquisitions going on the last few years, I really couldn't care less -- just don't ruin my you-know-what!

And ya, just call me Stumpy!  I follow almost zero Canadian news.

I guess you did not know the Edmonton Oilers were in the Stanley Cup final either and almost won it in game 7 vs Florida! :D ;)

Ren and Stimpy come to Frogtown!! ;) 

Blueforlife

Quote from: ichabod_crane on July 05, 2024, 06:24:53 AMEver hear of rabbit ears? CTV broadcasts in digital over the airwaves now. I have an aerial I can borrow you as I know it works here in Calgary at least! ;) Can get about 5-6 channels the old way. Whether it's in HD or not I have no idea.
Wpg changed to HD years ago, I would suspect much of the country is the same.  The quality of free to air TV is exceptional as it's not a compressed signal I believe.