Lucky back?!

Started by TecnoGenius, June 30, 2024, 07:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd

I m taking things game by game...we'll see what he can do, he's got speed which defences will have to respect and he is a return threat, gotta be better than what we've been watching

Cool Spot

QuoteSchoen is done for the season, so his $230k comes off the SMS.
I knew he was injured but hadn't been tracking the full extent of his status. What type of injury is it that leaves him gone for the season?

Unfortunate for him to be injured late last season and now again early this season.

DCM

Quote from: Cool Spot on July 01, 2024, 07:48:27 PMI knew he was injured but hadn't been tracking the full extent of his status. What type of injury is it that leaves him gone for the season?

Unfortunate for him to be injured late last season and now again early this season.
O'Shea said it was a knee injury.

https://x.com/jeffkhamilton/status/1806815302300405992
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Cool Spot on July 01, 2024, 07:48:27 PMI knew he was injured but hadn't been tracking the full extent of his status. What type of injury is it that leaves him gone for the season?

Schoen: Almost certainly full ACL (n.b.: just my speculation).  See my notes on other thread.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 01, 2024, 05:50:51 PMI'd be surprised if he can remain healthy for 5-6 games, he has until Lawler returns to show what he can do, hopefully he makes a positive contribution.

If we did what I said and gave mostly no signing bonus, then it doesn't matter how long he remains healthy.  He goes down, go get another.  As long as you don't waste on bonus, it's all "free" on the SMS.  I would sign any vet now with no bonus, decent pay, and massive incentives.  The incentives will make up for the lack of bonus.

What we need now is SMS protection so further injuries don't hurt us.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

We do need bruiser receivers, yes.  But we also need another deep threat / speed guy.  Right now our only speed/deep threat is Demski.  Both Kenny and sometimes Schoen could do that too.  So with them gone we need another speed/deep threat and Lucky is exactly that.

Now when we send Demski out on go, we can have Lucky doing the same on the other side of the field to split the safety.  Watch which side the FS cheats to and throw the other way.

However, the next vet pickup we make at WR needs to be a bruiser, not a featherweight.
Never go full Rider!

Big Daddy

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 01, 2024, 09:47:33 PMSchoen: Almost certainly full ACL (n.b.: just my speculation).  See my notes on other thread.

I would agree, since Osh said knee then not much else would be an automatic season ender.  Unless more than ACL (with certain types of injuries - traumatic, during sports - the ACL and MCL can get torn together, along with a tear to the meniscus).  But realistically it is still the ACL that will require the longest healing.

J5V

Quote from: Big Daddy on July 01, 2024, 09:57:55 PMI would agree, since Osh said knee then not much else would be an automatic season ender.  Unless more than ACL (with certain types of injuries - traumatic, during sports - the ACL and MCL can get torn together, along with a tear to the meniscus).  But realistically it is still the ACL that will require the longest healing.
This is devastating. I remember Manny Arceneaux was never the same after blowing out his knee. Shoen could be done.
Go Bombers!

Waffler

Free Press reported torn ACL.

"The Bombers were without their two top receivers in Kenny Lawler
(broken arm) and Dalton Schoen, who will miss the remainder of the
season with a torn ACL."

If Lawler is his lower arm I would think that is better than hand.  Maybe it is wrong, I have only heard hand until this.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

J5V

Quote from: Waffler on July 01, 2024, 11:33:17 PMFree Press reported torn ACL.

"The Bombers were without their two top receivers in Kenny Lawler
(broken arm) and Dalton Schoen, who will miss the remainder of the
season with a torn ACL."

If Lawler is his lower arm I would think that is better than hand.  Maybe it is wrong, I have only heard hand until this.
Can't you just drill a titanium rod into the bone, sew it up, and be playing the next day? j/k

Get better soon, Kenny. We need you.
Go Bombers!

J5V

For those of us that have never suffered a knee injury, can someone that has please tell us, in their estimation, how bad a torn ACL is? Is a tear better than a complete rupture or tendon separation from the bone? I'd have to think so. Could this be career ending or is a complete recovery possible?
Go Bombers!

Pigskin

It will depend on how severe the ACL injury is. My wife estimated 3-9 months, but closer to 9 months for a receiver. If, you rehab properly, 90-100% recovery.   
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on July 01, 2024, 10:51:45 PMThis is devastating. I remember Manny Arceneaux was never the same after blowing out his knee. Shoen could be done.

Ya, but how old was Manny Show when he suffered that?  Schoen is young enough he should bounce back no problem.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Waffler on July 01, 2024, 11:33:17 PMIf Lawler is his lower arm I would think that is better than hand.  Maybe it is wrong, I have only heard hand until this.

Watching him on the sidelines it's clear he has a pretty minor cast/brace/whatever on his forearm.  It didn't look to be something holding the wrist still, so my money is on forearm.  And that jives precisely with where the D's helmet hit him.

Kind of a strange break to get for a receiver... but Kenny is rather lithe, like Nick Moore, and maybe more prone to breaks.

He said he won't change his bash-into-Ds style... but I'm thinking he should think twice about this in the future.  A couple of YAC yards wasn't worth this.  Attempt to go around the defender, maybe, but don't play like you're Strevie or Brady.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on July 02, 2024, 01:46:32 AMFor those of us that have never suffered a knee injury, can someone that has please tell us, in their estimation, how bad a torn ACL is? Is a tear better than a complete rupture or tendon separation from the bone? I'd have to think so. Could this be career ending or is a complete recovery possible?

Pigskin nailed it.  I only have other CFL player histories to go on, and it always seems to be a season-ender, but often ready for next season.  In contrast to an achilles where it's a season-ender and an entire year of recovery going into next season.

So 99% chance he misses the post-season (which really sucks), but also 99% chance he's starting week 1 next season... if we manage to keep him.

As for recovery success rate: I don't think I've ever heard of a CFL player around his age in recent years who had ACL and didn't recover and keep playing.  I don't expect it to affect his future play.  It's not like he was a speedster anyhow.
Never go full Rider!