Lucky back?!

Started by TecnoGenius, June 30, 2024, 07:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VictorRomano

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 30, 2024, 03:01:08 PMIf Lucky does return what will his SMS hit be?  Noting that once you sign him, we won't be able to release him after veteran cut down date. So he's not a short term solution He isn't going to sign for 3 or 4 weeks.  Lawler won't return for another 4+ weeks and that takes us to LD more or less.

SMS hit is irrelevant.  Schoen is done for the season, so his $230k comes off the SMS.  We'll be getting Lucky for a lot less than that, and keeping him for the rest of the season.

Unlike Weineke, Lucky has played under Buck's system.  His learning curve is not going to be as steep as Weineke.

Blue In BC

Quote from: VictorRomano on June 30, 2024, 07:24:10 PMSMS hit is irrelevant.  Schoen is done for the season, so his $230k comes off the SMS.  We'll be getting Lucky for a lot less than that, and keeping him for the rest of the season.

Unlike Weineke, Lucky has played under Buck's system.  His learning curve is not going to be as steep as Weineke.

Half of Schoen's SMS was a bonus and will still count against the SMS. Whitehead last played for Winnipeg in 2019 which is now irrelevant. Buck didn't become OC until Whitehead had left so that's irrelevant if you want to speak about irrelevant.

It's still a rumour so we'll see if he's added.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

I don't think this is going to save our season, but in light of how many injuries we have, it probably won't hurt.  Whether it is a rookie dropping a pass, or Lucky short arming one, same result.  He might just have some magic left, though, so there is that upside.  And if he's not in shape or can't figure out the playbook, we have a bushel full of apples and Goggle Maps...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Kody Case added to the PR. That will require an off setting transaction later this week. Just a guess but I could see Mitchell being released. Obviously he isn't any where near next up at receiver and we have several returners now.

The bigger question is which of Alston or Case would be next up on the AR.

In theory I would think we wouldn't be adding receivers to the PR if we were actually signing Whitehead. Perhaps he wanted too much or the rumour was just that?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on June 30, 2024, 03:32:16 PMThere is no magical band aid that's going to solve the problem. We're patching holes here.

I have zero worries about the SMS hit.

Well, SMS is important, as BinBC said, because half of Schoen/Kenny $$ is bonus and thus not recovered on 6GIR.  See the Bonus thread.  And if after all our top-player injuries we still don't have enough SMS to hire a Lucky, then that proves there is something very wrong with the entire SMS system.

And Lucky will come very cheap.  He was couch sitting and completely abandoned by everyone.  And his ask was probably only $140k.  Unless he gouged a desperate Bombers, we're likely getting him for $120k, or less.  Which basically aligns with KW's "only ELC" mantra plus the small savings from Schoen/Kenny (yes, bonus excluded).

And we should have enough 6GIR savings to bring in another vet around $120k... which is exactly what I'd do if we don't find the superstar rookie in like 1-2 weeks.

And yes, the holes are so numerous now that patching them is really all we can do.  At least until we stabilize the sinking.  Then we can worry about the big picture.  At least vets patch the holes with "Original Fix Tape" rather than straws like the rookies do.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 30, 2024, 06:16:53 PMWieneke might be a better choice.

TD Jake would be awesome here.  But didn't he basically sit out all of last season too?  I like guys who have seen the field in the last 365 days.
Never go full Rider!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 30, 2024, 03:01:08 PMTwo of our receivers are long time veterans. So we have 3 rookie receivers playing. Adding Lucky would change that ratio to 3 veterans and 2 rookies.

I don't know that would solve the problem.

OL issues and play calling have not been good. Does Alston get activated for the next game? He's not exactly a rookie since he was here in 2023 but he's not exactly a veteran either.

If Lucky does return what will his SMS hit be?  Noting that once you sign him, we won't be able to release him after veteran cut down date. So he's not a short term solution He isn't going to sign for 3 or 4 weeks.  Lawler won't return for another 4+ weeks and that takes us to LD more or less.

What can lucky demand? He's been out of the game since last year mostly! He'd be "lucky" to get vet minimum at this point. SMS hit will be peanuts especially with all the injuries.

ichabod_crane

When do the Bombers get a BYE? They need it more than ever right now to reload!

DCM

Quote from: ichabod_crane on July 01, 2024, 01:42:13 AMWhen do the Bombers get a BYE? They need it more than ever right now to reload!
Week 10.
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ichabod_crane on July 01, 2024, 01:40:45 AMWhat can lucky demand? He's been out of the game since last year mostly! He'd be "lucky" to get vet minimum at this point. SMS hit will be peanuts especially with all the injuries.

In FA he could demand nothing.  But now that he knows WPG is desperate and basically screwed, he can name his price.  Hopefully we play the "other guys are couch sitting too" card and both parties keep it reasonable.  $120 would be reasonable.  $100 would be a steal.  We'll probably never know, unless Farhan makes up some number from his "insiders".
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

Looks like we just added Kody Case to the PR, does this mean Lucky wanted to much money?
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

DCM

Quote from: Pigskin on July 01, 2024, 04:49:30 PMLooks like we just added Kody Case to the PR, does this mean Lucky wanted to much money?
Lucky Whitehead posted on his IG that he signed with Winnipeg.

https://www.instagram.com/luck2fast/
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

Pigskin

Quote from: DCM on July 01, 2024, 05:26:20 PMLucky Whitehead posted on his IG that he signed with Winnipeg.

https://www.instagram.com/luck2fast/

Nice, Lucky will add some depth at WR/KR.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on July 01, 2024, 05:41:42 PMNice, Lucky will add some depth at WR/KR.

Well we'll see if this turns out be true and if he's at practice tomorrow. He's not a guy that is going to win 50/50 balls on the outside. That's something we need. I'm not sure where he'll fit in or how he'll be used.

I also doubt he'll be game ready by Friday on a short week of practice.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 01, 2024, 05:44:23 PMWell we'll see if this turns out be true and if he's at practice tomorrow. He's not a guy that is going to win 50/50 balls on the outside. That's something we need. I'm not sure where he'll fit in or how he'll be used.

I also doubt he'll be game ready by Friday on a short week of practice.

I'd be surprised if he can remain healthy for 5-6 games, he has until Lawler returns to show what he can do, hopefully he makes a positive contribution.