Lucky back?!

Started by TecnoGenius, June 30, 2024, 07:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

As per the other thread, Lucky Whitehead may be heading back to blue & gold soon.  Sounds like final deal being hammered out.

Good news for us!  More vets are certainly needed.  And I'm very happy to see Mafia/KW reacting to the dire situation with some actual action.

I know most of us said "pass" on Lucky as the #5 in the off-season, but the situation is now drastically different.  It wasn't a slight on Lucky but more an SMS vs his known limitations calculation.  I think this is a great move for this moment, and for the price I can't really think of a better WR on the couch at the moment.

Just make sure you throw it into his chest, as he still has the hands of a DB.  I think Zach is perfect for that.  And send him on go routes a lot: even if we don't want to pass that far, it'll clear out some space.

Nice move, WFC.  Now how about a 2nd one?  We have the light/fast guys (Lucky, Demski), now how about another bruiser (Woli, ?).  What bruisers are still on the couch?
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

I don't think this is a great move. We're not throwing to the new receivers and the OL can't block. I'd consider a PR OL moving onto the AR.

The new receivers showed something today when they actually had something thrown their way.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 30, 2024, 01:03:23 PMI don't think this is a great move. We're not throwing to the new receivers and the OL can't block. I'd consider a PR OL moving onto the AR.

The new receivers showed something today when they actually had something thrown their way.

There are simple too many rookies/first year starters playing meaningful snaps. This is not an indictment on the players themselves, or on Canadian draft picks, you just can't have this many playing this much at the same time.
My wife is amazing!

Waffler

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 30, 2024, 01:03:23 PMI don't think this is a great move. We're not throwing to the new receivers and the OL can't block. I'd consider a PR OL moving onto the AR.

I'd agree with this. Same thing in practice. That was actually the first thing I noticed when the first team is out there. Of the first 7 passes thrown last Monday, only one went to a new guy.

Sooner or later we have to build for the future.

Choosing to put all our financial eggs in a few baskets has really ended up costing us. Bombers have the belief that this team can win just one more time. Every year with fewer key pieces and so we hang on to who we deem most important. It's down to a few now and almost all are hurt. Honestly, let the young guys play. We are looking at 3rd or a cross over at best now. A Lucky Whitehead is just a patch, won't help us long term.

I'm thinking of next year when we host the cup. I'd rather some pain now if it means next year we will be in the mix. The last thing I want is a full rebuild next year.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Jesse

Quote from: Waffler on June 30, 2024, 01:45:10 PMI'd agree with this. Same thing in practice. That was actually the first thing I noticed when the first team is out there. Of the first 7 passes thrown last Monday, only one went to a new guy.

Sooner or later we have to build for the future.

Choosing to put all our financial eggs in a few baskets has really ended up costing us. Bombers have the belief that this team can win just one more time. Every year with fewer key pieces and so we hang on to who we deem most important. It's down to a few now and almost all are hurt. Honestly, let the young guys play. We are looking at 3rd or a cross over at best now. A Lucky Whitehead is just a patch, won't help us long term.

I'm thinking of next year when we host the cup. I'd rather some pain now if it means next year we will be in the mix. The last thing I want is a full rebuild next year.

We can let the kids play AND have Lucky on the roster. We don't need all 5 receivers on the field to be rookies. They aren't going to experience any success like that and will end up getting cut instead of being developed.
My wife is amazing!

bwiser

Whitehead is a short term solution and I see nothing wrong with that. We just need an experienced receiver who can help the young players until Lawler or Shoen return. Whitehead can also return kicks so being versatile never hurts your chances of making a difference.

Blue In BC

Two of our receivers are long time veterans. So we have 3 rookie receivers playing. Adding Lucky would change that ratio to 3 veterans and 2 rookies.

I don't know that would solve the problem.

OL issues and play calling have not been good. Does Alston get activated for the next game? He's not exactly a rookie since he was here in 2023 but he's not exactly a veteran either.

If Lucky does return what will his SMS hit be?  Noting that once you sign him, we won't be able to release him after veteran cut down date. So he's not a short term solution He isn't going to sign for 3 or 4 weeks.  Lawler won't return for another 4+ weeks and that takes us to LD more or less.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 30, 2024, 03:01:08 PMTwo of our receivers are long time veterans. So we have 3 rookie receivers playing. Adding Lucky would change that ratio to 3 veterans and 2 rookies.

I don't know that would solve the problem.

OL issues and play calling have not been good. Does Alston get activated for the next game? He's not exactly a rookie since he was here in 2023 but he's not exactly a veteran either.

If Lucky does return what will his SMS hit be?  Noting that once you sign him, we won't be able to release him after veteran cut down date. So he's not a short term solution He isn't going to sign for 3 or 4 weeks.  Lawler won't return for another 4+ weeks and that takes us to LD more or less.

There is no magical band aid that's going to solve the problem. We're patching holes here.

I have zero worries about the SMS hit.
My wife is amazing!

dd

Lucky will give us some options but is not the silver bullet. The problem we have is at Qb.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on June 30, 2024, 03:32:16 PMThere is no magical band aid that's going to solve the problem. We're patching holes here.

I have zero worries about the SMS hit.

SMS is always an issue. So is roster size, including the PR. Unless we have someone that actually needs to be move to the 1 game IR, then who gets cut?

If we move a rookie receiver to the 1 game IR to hide him, then that's at full ELC which doubles down adding someone like Lucky to AR. Even if Whitehead takes a low salary just above an ELC level.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blueforlife

Quote from: dd on June 30, 2024, 03:49:25 PMLucky will give us some options but is not the silver bullet. The problem we have is at Qb.
Disagree that the problem is the QB.  I wasn't for Lucky buy I'll keep an open mind.

Throw Long Bannatyne

I agree, Lucky is the wrong type of receiver to be looking at, what they really need is a possession type receiver with good catching ability to secure first downs exactly like Bailey, not a "once in awhile/not that tough homerun hitter" like Lucky. I would suggest Greg Ellingson could still fill that role very well as a temporary implant.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 30, 2024, 04:44:18 PMI agree, Lucky is the wrong type of receiver to be looking at, what they really need is a possession type receiver with good catching ability to secure first downs exactly like Bailey, not a "once in awhile/not that tough homerun hitter" like Lucky. I would suggest Greg Ellingson could still fill that role very well as a temporary implant.

Wieneke might be a better choice.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 30, 2024, 06:16:53 PMWieneke might be a better choice.

Never much cared for him, but agree he's a better choice than Whitehead.

dd

Whatever happened to weineke? Had a couple decent years in Montreal, then struggled in Saskatchewan just like everyone else due to Qb issues , now he's not in the game at all??