Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Calgary - June 29, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, June 28, 2024, 06:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on July 01, 2024, 02:29:16 AMI believe that the reason we compiled the talent we did to be so successful the last four (five) years was because of the culture that has been built here. As long as that culture remains we'll be fine. Players want to be here not because they are paid the most but because they get a chance to play with a group of people that are special. There's a reason Lucky wants to come to the Peg and it's not money.

But don't kid yourself: culture plus a rising star is the draw.  Not everyone will sign on culture alone.  If that was the case we'd have better star retention, which has been a real problem lately.

Players seem to sniff out the shifting winds, and listen to the pundits, and are eager to sign with the next hot team.  BC and SSK didn't have much trouble getting talent this FA, as they are perceived to be the next GC contenders.  Same with TOR & MTL.  They can pick whoever they want, probably at a discount.

CGY, HAM, OTT, EDM have trouble luring anyone to their clubs, because there is no "rising" going on there.  We're probably going to be in that mix next FA.

CGY is a very interesting example because they were us 5-6 years ago.  Everyone wanted to play there.  Ya, after 2019 that basically disappeared overnight and they now struggle to get decent talent as much as the basement dwellers.

Did CGY's culture change?  Nah, they just stopped rising.  Worse, they started dropping.  No one wants to be on a sinking ship.  Therefore we must stop the sinking and maintain the aura of legit contender, or it'll steamroll.
Never go full Rider!

dd

Well, whatever was rising in Saskatchewan (they were rising??) just sank with harris's Injury.

theaardvark

It is amazing how a premier QB makes a different in "culture" and "rising star".

Zach has been that guy for 4 seasons.  He is not that guy today.  He's the highest paid player currently playing. 

Not crapping on Zach, Buck, Osh and Walters all gave him the vote of confidence trading Dru away.  Watching tonight's game, it is looking more and more that we made the wrong decision... but I really hope Zach figures out what he needs to get back to leading this team to the W column.

No word on Zach's status?  Do we give FIne a call?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 01, 2024, 02:35:34 AMBut don't kid yourself: culture plus a rising star is the draw.  Not everyone will sign on culture alone.  If that was the case we'd have better star retention, which has been a real problem lately.

Players seem to sniff out the shifting winds, and listen to the pundits, and are eager to sign with the next hot team.  BC and SSK didn't have much trouble getting talent this FA, as they are perceived to be the next GC contenders.  Same with TOR & MTL.  They can pick whoever they want, probably at a discount.

CGY, HAM, OTT, EDM have trouble luring anyone to their clubs, because there is no "rising" going on there.  We're probably going to be in that mix next FA.

CGY is a very interesting example because they were us 5-6 years ago.  Everyone wanted to play there.  Ya, after 2019 that basically disappeared overnight and they now struggle to get decent talent as much as the basement dwellers.

Did CGY's culture change?  Nah, they just stopped rising.  Worse, they started dropping.  No one wants to be on a sinking ship.  Therefore we must stop the sinking and maintain the aura of legit contender, or it'll steamroll.

Of course that's true. I believe we look for the type of player that is willing to buy into the culture first and consider talent second. Talent without the right mindset does not equal the sum being greater than the parts. Obviously you want a talented team but the focus here has been on team. I've heard it from too many players: Zach, Willy, Woli, and of course from O'Shea. They share a common culture and always speak to it. Osh is always saying that a particular player "gets it". "It" being the culture -- having each other's back.
Go Bombers!

TBURGESS

I think the culture is highly over rated. Every team tries to create a family of brothers who you'd go to war with. 

IMO the reason players have been signing for less in Wpg is because they know they're going to get playoff money and a realistic shot at a Grey Cup. Take those away and we're going to find it hard to attract the best players without paying the most money.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TBURGESS on July 01, 2024, 03:45:23 PMI think the culture is highly over rated. Every team tries to create a family of brothers who you'd go to war with.

IMO the reason players have been signing for less in Wpg is because they know they're going to get playoff money and a realistic shot at a Grey Cup. Take those away and we're going to find it hard to attract the best players without paying the most money.
yes and no. Culture counts for sure. Depends on many factors for a play to sign where, but to say it is just about playoff money is a narrow minded opinion.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Jesse

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on July 01, 2024, 03:57:31 PMyes and no. Culture counts for sure. Depends on many factors for a play to sign where, but to say it is just about playoff money is narrow minded opinion.

We've been paying players the most at their position this entire time. The culture thing is something every team talks about. It's a cliche like "best shape of my life", "this is a family", and "we're just taking this one week at a time".

I think a good culture is less important than a bad culture. A toxic workplace can bring things down, but otherwise I think people just do their jobs (including repeating the same platitudes they've been repeating since high school).
My wife is amazing!

dd

Players play for 2 things- money and to win a championship.

Players sign for big dough on weak teams, thinking they'll be the missing piece to turn the franchise around and they'll start their winning ways--hello Bighill and Bryant.

Others will take less to stay at a winning place as playoff money is there and there's a legit chance at winning the Cup.

We're starting the cycle over again, and those high priced players not earning their keep will be shown the door as in the SMS you have to produce if you're getting paid the big $$$, you have to produce or they'll get someone who will.

TecnoGenius

Culture does count, but it's not everything.

But I do believe certain teams do have that magic culture simply because of the way players talk about certain teams.  When every single player interviewed talks about a culture being the best they've ever been involved with, I take notice.  Even vets who have cycled through many teams, who never talk like that, start talking about it... I take notice.

Right now there are 2 teams with the magic culture: WPG and TOR.  I'm not sure how Dinwiddie pulled that off over there, but using the same metric I used for WPG, TOR qualifies.  What I find astounding is places like BC, SSK, MTL, even while winning, don't have it.  (Maybe Mace can bring it to SSK, we shall see.)
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 01, 2024, 09:57:50 PMCulture does count, but it's not everything.

But I do believe certain teams do have that magic culture simply because of the way players talk about certain teams.  When every single player interviewed talks about a culture being the best they've ever been involved with, I take notice.  Even vets who have cycled through many teams, who never talk like that, start talking about it... I take notice.

Right now there are 2 teams with the magic culture: WPG and TOR.  I'm not sure how Dinwiddie pulled that off over there, but using the same metric I used for WPG, TOR qualifies.  What I find astounding is places like BC, SSK, MTL, even while winning, don't have it.  (Maybe Mace can bring it to SSK, we shall see.)
Agree wholeheartedly. O'Shea came through the Toronto system so I suspect he brought it with him. O'Shea and Dinwiddie are both player's coaches. I remember seeing a photo of O'Shea loaded down with dufflebags of football gear hauling ***. When players see a coach willing to roll up his sleeves and do the grunt work it makes an impression. Any of us that have played sports know there are certain coaches we would have run through a wall for. O'Shea is one of them.
Go Bombers!

Big Daddy

Culture definitely counts, and I agree - there's been a lot of players talking about culture here.

It isn't everything, of course, but it sure counts.

Hardrick left for SSK - there is no way he left for culture there, nor did he leave assuming he would have a better chance of winning a cup with them.  That was for money - and I fully respect his choice, being close to the end of his career and getting a huge paycheck for the family. 

Sometimes situations will dictate compromising one incentive for another.  Culture, money and chance to win all compete in a player's mind with decisions. 

It's really just a matter of what counts more, at that specific time, for that individual.

Blueforlife

The team culture MOS built was one of our pillars of success over the last 4 year imo

J5V

Quote from: TBURGESS on July 01, 2024, 03:45:23 PMI think the culture is highly over rated. Every team tries to create a family of brothers who you'd go to war with.

Is that true in a salary cap era? All things being equal regarding money means other considerations come into play in a big way. I sincerely believe this club does everything it can to keep everyone happy provided they buy into the culture. Whenever I see a player leave over money, I really have to look at the situation carefully before deciding how bought-in they were. In Yoshi's case, I get it, and I wish him well in Sask. With Bailey and Grant, I'm not so sure.
Go Bombers!

dd

I think bailey and grant wanted more money and a bigger role than they were playing with the bombers.

J5V

Quote from: dd on July 02, 2024, 02:04:31 AMI think bailey and grant wanted more money and a bigger role than they were playing with the bombers.
I thought both were getting worked into the offense more. Didn't Grant get injured when we tried working him into a non-returner role? Bailey seemed to be getting his share of touches. I dunno, hard to please everyone -- there's just one football. Bailey does seem to relish his role with the Argos and is doing well.
Go Bombers!