Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Calgary - June 29, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, June 28, 2024, 06:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blueforlife on June 30, 2024, 02:08:13 AM60

TSN guys kept saying 59?  And we were at the 52?  52+7=59?  I'll have to recheck.  I'll take all y'alls word for it until then!

60!  Woot woot.  Where was Castillo in the '17 WSF LOL (I think it was '17?).
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Big Daddy on June 30, 2024, 02:05:26 AMAnother step forward as we now went to OT.

I'm getting tired of improving but still losing.

I will say I liked Strev for the last quarter,I'm sure he'd like that last pass back.  But he stepped up later in the game and I am not quite as worried.

Sure hope Collaros isn't out long though.  Hope there aren't broken ribs.

I agree.  Strev still mostly Strev.  But it's his first live-fire game, so he gets some slack for 1-3 weeks, when he can practice with the first unit.  If he's "good ol' Strev" cold off the bench, you've got to think he'll actually be New & Improved Strev the next couple of weeks.  I'm hopeful, if he's the #1 for a little while.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 30, 2024, 02:27:24 AMThe starting receivers are all the # 2 players and in one case our # 3 receiver from the PR. We didn't add a bunch of rookies when Streveler came into the game.

Good point.  Haha.  Still, you'd think Strev would have better chem with whoever the non-desired-starters are... But you guys made a good point earlier about Woli/BFF.  Maybe we should have just had Strev throwing to him.  In between series they can sandlot out ideas on the sidelines and then ignore Buck.   ;)  ;)  ;)
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blueforlife on June 30, 2024, 02:27:31 AMHard no on Wilson being cut, shows promise

That's literally his only notable play in, I think, 3 games?  Sure, it was a great play!  But his whiffs earlier in games are what is putting us into these tough 4th Q / OT situations.

If he wants to step up and be a part of this team he needs to up his game immediately.  Otherwise he will be the first one cut.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 30, 2024, 02:26:03 AMOur D stopped run most of the time but Maier had too long to throw most of the night. I suppose considering the inexperience of our rookie DL that was to be expected. IMO they are improving and it was good to get Nichols back.

Without success in the passing attack it's difficult to blame the OL, however, they are not playing well.

Is it time to give one of the PR OT's a chance?

Our run D has been consistently strong.  At least we have something to hang our hat on.  Clearly we are focusing on that.  However, we often let teams pass at will, and we still often give up that "free" wide out.

PR OT: ya well we cut Ivey who was supposed to be "the guy".  I bet we paid Lofton decent coin too, and probably a small signing bonus.  Sigh.  SSK fans knew the deal with Lofton... swapping ORTs with them paying $125k more should have been our first hint.
Never go full Rider!

Blueforlife

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 30, 2024, 02:47:32 AMTSN guys kept saying 59?  And we were at the 52?  52+7=59?  I'll have to recheck.  I'll take all y'alls word for it until then!

That was 62 I think

Blueforlife

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 30, 2024, 03:00:19 AMThat's literally his only notable play in, I think, 3 games?  Sure, it was a great play!  But his whiffs earlier in games are what is putting us into these tough 4th Q / OT situations.

If he wants to step up and be a part of this team he needs to up his game immediately.  Otherwise he will be the first one cut.
Shows some promise but yes needs to step up.  You only cut a guy if you have an immediate better replacement.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blueforlife on June 30, 2024, 03:11:27 AMThat was 62 I think

61 in BC?  Ya, and Castillo apparently had a big wind at his back today.  Still, it's a fun thought experiment: would Castillo make that 61 kick... Then again Meddy was basically the GOAT, and MOS said he makes that kick in practice all the time.  Just bad luck that day.  Straight down main street, but short.  That loss really hurt...

Is this 60 really Blue Bomber's longest ever?  Wow, again, kudos to Castillo.  Love that guy since his '21 GC win postgame woohoo dance.
Never go full Rider!

Stats Junkie

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 30, 2024, 02:47:32 AMTSN guys kept saying 59?  And we were at the 52?  52+7=59?  I'll have to recheck.  I'll take all y'alls word for it until then!

60!
It was 60. Castillo & Lauther kick from 8 yards back of the line of scrimmage.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

Stats Junkie

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 30, 2024, 03:22:52 AM61 in BC?  Ya, and Castillo apparently had a big wind at his back today.  Still, it's a fun thought experiment: would Castillo make that 61 kick... Then again Meddy was basically the GOAT, and MOS said he makes that kick in practice all the time.  Just bad luck that day.  Straight down main street, but short.  That loss really hurt...

Is this 60 really Blue Bomber's longest ever?  Wow, again, kudos to Castillo.  Love that guy since his '21 GC win postgame woohoo dance.
Last October at BC Place, Castillo hit the left upright from 58 in warmup but came up short from 62.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

Blueforlife

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 30, 2024, 03:22:52 AM61 in BC?  Ya, and Castillo apparently had a big wind at his back today.  Still, it's a fun thought experiment: would Castillo make that 61 kick... Then again Meddy was basically the GOAT, and MOS said he makes that kick in practice all the time.  Just bad luck that day.  Straight down main street, but short.  That loss really hurt...

https://winnipegsun.com/2016/11/13/decision-by-bombers-coach-oshea-to-kick-for-the-win-will-be-questioned

J5V

We were talking earlier about something O'Shea said which was "follow the process". I think the process is playing the game the right way. It is not about the final result. No one has control of the final result. The best you can do is follow the process and if you do it to the best of your ability the final result will be there. No shortcuts. I believe the best teams do this and the ones that focus on the final result are the ones that will fail sooner or later. You have to focus on the process and if you do it well maybe by the end of the season you'll see the results. I don't want this team worrying about and trying to influence wins and losses. As a fan I want this team to play it's best football and let the results take care of themselves. If that takes five, ten, or more games then so be it. I believe that we got to the top the last four or five years by following the process and that's how we'll get there again. I'm glad our coaches and management staff run the team this way. I don't see any despair or panic in O'Shea because he knows this and he is seeing progress with the process. We're playing better and better and getting close to realising the result we want to see.
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Stats Junkie on June 30, 2024, 03:49:59 AMIt was 60. Castillo & Lauther kick from 8 yards back of the line of scrimmage.

Wow!  Thanks for the info!  I never knew that.  How unusual.  Is 8Y an adjustment to all the FG blocks the league (and our team) saw in 2022/2023?  Certainly gives you that extra leverage on the angle on the long ones... but it means you have to be that hair extra accurate and strong.
Never go full Rider!

ichabod_crane

Yes it was 59 to 60 yards. HE booted it directly in front of me at McMahon. Was a decent breeze behind him too. Cleared with a lot to spare too. A MEGA BOOT! :) They just ruined a good comeback story by choking in Overtime! :(

ichabod_crane

Yes it was 59 to 60 yards. HE booted it directly in front of me at McMahon. Was a decent breeze behind him too. Cleared with a lot to spare too. A MEGA BOOT! :) They just ruined a good comeback story by choking in Overtime! :(

It WAS NOT GALE force Sask winds. Gusting at times, but nothing that would bowl you over. No, it was mostly LEG that hoofed that FG.