Week 4: Other games.

Started by Jesse, June 28, 2024, 01:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

What TLB said... comparing any 2 QB's is not something that has merit. 

Now, looking at what Mitchell has managed to do 2024 vs. 2023 in getting "coached up" to prolong/fix his career, that's a different story. 

Could Zach use a paradigm change in his approach to the QB position? Is the Zack/Buck scramblruski mode going to get him killed when he loses a step? 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on June 28, 2024, 05:06:02 PMWhat TLB said... comparing any 2 QB's is not something that has merit. 

Now, looking at what Mitchell has managed to do 2024 vs. 2023 in getting "coached up" to prolong/fix his career, that's a different story. 

Could Zach use a paradigm change in his approach to the QB position? Is the Zack/Buck scramblruski mode going to get him killed when he loses a step? 

It's a consideration, Ricky Ray reconfigured his game when he lost his arm strength and still went onto win a GC in Toronto.  It may take a different OC to help Zach do that and even still it may be too late in his career to change paths.

M.O.A.B.

The opposing D has their read on Zach. He will always opt to stay in the pocket. Problem is the current OL is not good enough to give him that time. When he scramble, he always goes to his right side.

TecnoGenius

Because TOR's chart makes IN/OUT impossible to read, here's the cheatsheet:

IN
30 LB Jones
95 DL Williams
44 FB Calver
65 OL Rice (when did they snag Rice?!?!)
80 WR Daniels

OUT
19 DB Waters
27 DB Joiner
53 OL Ciraco
18 WR Brissett
99 DL Holley

Looks to be a wash from my standpoint.  The Rice snag means one less plan-B for us should our hoggies suck.  Grrr... Manitoba boy, too.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on June 28, 2024, 07:10:21 PMThe opposing D has their read on Zach. He will always opt to stay in the pocket. Problem is the current OL is not good enough to give him that time. When he scramble, he always goes to his right side.

But he doesn't sit in the pocket, he gets happy feet and plows forward or laterally right into a DL's hands.

I watched MBT sit in the pocket until the very last second and take hits to get the ball off (or not).  That's what Zach needs to do now.  He wastes 2-3s panicking and turtling and running into defenders when he should just stand tall and find that last-second route getting open or throwaway spot.  Think Ricky Ray.

MBT is now the best at this.  Ya, he scrambled once and did a huge air dive, but he's younger and crazy.  I definitely do not recommend Zach do that.  And once they gave him a designed QB draw (brilliant BTW), but he had to have some escapability for that and I don't see Zach doing it.  So I think you have to become a pure pocket passer and you bring in the beef to protect him and be the best darn pocket passer in the league.

Oh ya, T.Harris is basically this now too, and he's lighting it up for SSK.  There's nothing wrong with taking "scramble" off the table as an option.  I think it actually helps your mindset and focus on the routes.

Ask yourself, when you see Zach decide to pull it and scramble, in that instant, do you think he'll escape or run straight into a defender?  Ya, me too.  So why do it?
Never go full Rider!

Blueforlife

Nice stop TO D, they got too cute on their run on their 1st series.  Need a little more bread and butter and they will pound this in.

Blueforlife

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 28, 2024, 09:50:03 PMBecause TOR's chart makes IN/OUT impossible to read, here's the cheatsheet:

IN
30 LB Jones
95 DL Williams
44 FB Calver
65 OL Rice (when did they snag Rice?!?!)
80 WR Daniels

OUT
19 DB Waters
27 DB Joiner
53 OL Ciraco
18 WR Brissett
99 DL Holley

Looks to be a wash from my standpoint.  The Rice snag means one less plan-B for us should our hoggies suck.  Grrr... Manitoba boy, too.
Why we didn't pick up Rice and have him 0lay I front of his home province makes me spit!!

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 28, 2024, 09:54:51 PMI watched MBT sit in the pocket until the very last second and take hits to get the ball off (or not).  That's what Zach needs to do now. 

Zach is not MBT. That guy is like a tank. Has he EVER been hurt? Zach shouldn't take hits, period. What he should do is get the ball out quick or dirt it. Give up on the improvisation. Live to fight another day, win it in the 5th quarter as the Americans call the last 3 minutes now.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Blueforlife

Blueforlife

gobombersgo

Joey Alfieri   @joeyalfieri
1 change to #Alouettes depth chart this week. Regis Cibasu placed on six-game injured list. Brock Gowanlock, who goes from defensive end to fullback, is on the active roster

Blueforlife