We Need WRs

Started by BomberFan73, June 23, 2024, 02:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on June 28, 2024, 05:38:49 PMDoes he worth 1st rounder? I wish the Bombers could get him but I don't think it will happen. I wouldn't think Walters will offer a first, probably the highest he will offer is a 3rd. And all what it takes for next 7 teams is to match it.

It will be the Bombers being able to decide whether to beat the offers of other teams. We're 2nd from last in the draft order.

How high a choice this player might be I don't know.  We got Woli in 2017 with a 3rd round pick. It will be interesting to see which teams show interest and how high a team bids.  I don't know anything about this receiver or what the 2025 draft class will look like.

If our season tanks, our picks could be higher than the past few seasons.  In that sense I'd rather not give up a 1st or 2nd round but maybe he's worth it.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

The draft is always a crap shoot, given where we are with receiver depth, I'd go after this guy

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 28, 2024, 07:46:44 PMIf our season tanks, our picks could be higher than the past few seasons.  In that sense I'd rather not give up a 1st or 2nd round but maybe he's worth it.

Uh, we can get worse??   :D  ;D  ;)  ;)  ;)   We're already dead last!   :o  :o  :o

(Where's that ledge?)
Never go full Rider!

ichabod_crane

Start auditioning UFL cuts as their season is over since mid-June. Get the old George Brancatto air lift going like back in the early to mid 1980's with the OLD OTTAWA ROUGH RIDERS!! Season did not begin for Ottawa until NFL cuts rolled in! :D Almost pulled the biggest GC upset in history in 1981 with a 5-11 team vs a 14-1-1 Edmonton team. Had a 20-1 halftime lead and blew it on a last second FG to Edmonton. TALK ABOUT A CHOKE JOB! :( Would have been sweet to see the old evil empire go down in that game! :D

Still think Tony Gabriel ripped off with a double pass interference call late in that GC game to stall an Ottawa drive. Might have had a FG As he had a long catch tossed out because of penalty. Is such a penalty even possible? 🤔 Same as a late hit call on John Helton in 1982 western final in Edmonton with Bombers visiting. To this day STILL think Bombers ripped off in that game. No replay challenges in those daze and Edmonton sort of had things rigged with biggest payroll in league (way before salary cap era) + seemed like they had the officials in their pocket too many times. Norm Kimball the Edmonton GM was a swindler and con artist!! :D SO LOVED it when the Bombers royally blew them out in 1983 and 1984 playoffs. Also won in 1985 in another semi-final against Edmonton at home, but that one was much closer. Only a 7 point win! Think I held a grudge against the old Esks until their playoff streak ended 10 years ago or so. All downhill for Edmunchuck since then it seems.

BomberFan73

Wilson has to step up today.  He hasn't done much yet, but he should be way more comfortable than Johnson.
I always liked Murphy, let's hope he can find a way to make a couple plays.

Blue In BC

Quote from: ichabod_crane on June 29, 2024, 08:41:51 AMStart auditioning UFL cuts as their season is over since mid-June. Get the old George Brancatto air lift going like back in the early to mid 1980's with the OLD OTTAWA ROUGH RIDERS!! Season did not begin for Ottawa until NFL cuts rolled in! :D Almost pulled the biggest GC upset in history in 1981 with a 5-11 team vs a 14-1-1 Edmonton team. Had a 20-1 halftime lead and blew it on a last second FG to Edmonton. TALK ABOUT A CHOKE JOB! :( Would have been sweet to see the old evil empire go down in that game! :D

Still think Tony Gabriel ripped off with a double pass interference call late in that GC game to stall an Ottawa drive. Might have had a FG As he had a long catch tossed out because of penalty. Is such a penalty even possible? 🤔 Same as a late hit call on John Helton in 1982 western final in Edmonton with Bombers visiting. To this day STILL think Bombers ripped off in that game. No replay challenges in those daze and Edmonton sort of had things rigged with biggest payroll in league (way before salary cap era) + seemed like they had the officials in their pocket too many times. Norm Kimball the Edmonton GM was a swindler and con artist!! :D SO LOVED it when the Bombers royally blew them out in 1983 and 1984 playoffs. Also won in 1985 in another semi-final against Edmonton at home, but that one was much closer. Only a 7 point win! Think I held a grudge against the old Esks until their playoff streak ended 10 years ago or so. All downhill for Edmunchuck since then it seems.

Players in the UFL are still under contract and there is no agreement between the 2 leagues. Now we could argue that the CFL should negotiate an agreement but until then, we can't audition any UFL players.

Early reports were that the UFL wanted to expand with addition of 4 more teams in 2025. That may no longer be in their plans but if it is then they won't be releasing a bunch of players.

OTOH, there are many players not drafted by the NFL that haven't found a team to showcase their talents.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ichabod_crane

I was not aware their players were still under contract. Guess that all changed with the merger as how would bethell Thompson be with the elks otherwise?

Blue In BC

Quote from: ichabod_crane on June 29, 2024, 04:39:24 PMI was not aware their players were still under contract. Guess that all changed with the merger as how would bethell Thompson be with the elks otherwise?

I'm not entirely certain about him. The UFL had a draft of the players of 8 defunct teams. In theory that meant about 300 players that had spots in one of the pre merger teams became available.

All that said, new player become available at the end of each season. Players not drafted in the NFL directly as UDFA's. Decisions are made to release players that were on current rosters and available to the CFL if they want to look at them.

Bombers signed a bunch of ex XFL or USFL players for TC as did all CFL teams.  A few are still on CFl rosters.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Bauming was all cranked up on his Gameday podcast yesterday about using receivers in house and not seeking outside help, specifically mentioned Agudosi and Whitehead and thought there was significant reasons they were not currently on a roster.  I suspect he lurks here and might actually be Aards.  ;D

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 29, 2024, 07:04:39 PMBauming was all cranked up on his Gameday podcast yesterday about using receivers in house and not seeking outside help, specifically mentioned Agudosi and Whitehead and thought there was significant reasons they were not currently on a roster.  I suspect he lurks here and might actually be Aards.  ;D

I can't stand Bauming.
My wife is amazing!

VictorRomano

Both TSN and the Sun are reporting that Walters was on the horn with Lucky Whitehead following the game.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: VictorRomano on June 30, 2024, 05:13:46 AMBoth TSN and the Sun are reporting that Walters was on the horn with Lucky Whitehead following the game.

Following the CGY game?  Or the last-week game?  Guess he was waiting until he saw how completed screwed we were, eh?

Lucky isn't just a good move talent-wise, it's also a good move fan-wise.  He'll get huge fan support @PAS.  I expect a huge applause when he first takes the field.  Everyone loves Lucky.  We'll probably still lose, but at least we can cheer for something.  And at least moves are being made, finally.
Never go full Rider!

VictorRomano

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 30, 2024, 05:16:52 AMFollowing the CGY game?

Yes.  Farhan Lalji from TSN tweeted it at midnight yesterday.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 29, 2024, 07:04:39 PMBauming was all cranked up on his Gameday podcast yesterday about using receivers in house and not seeking outside help, specifically mentioned Agudosi and Whitehead and thought there was significant reasons they were not currently on a roster.  I suspect he lurks here and might actually be Aards.  ;D

Agudosi is still hanging around? Thought he washed out long ago. Not sure worth the effort unless he's in the city already for a quick look see.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ichabod_crane on July 01, 2024, 01:58:21 AMAgudosi is still hanging around? Thought he washed out long ago. Not sure worth the effort unless he's in the city already for a quick look see.

Pretty sure Agudosi didn't get re-signed by TOR?  He may not be any better than the TC guys here.  Was never impressed with him.  Low effort sort of guy, like C.Matthews in his last stint here.

Plus he's super tall and those guys (as WRs) seem to get injured all the time.  Still, I wouldn't say no to trying him out again.  We have nothing to lose, and he'd come cheap and knows the system.  But I'd probably take almost any other "vet" couch-sitter over him first.
Never go full Rider!