Bighill done

Started by DM83, June 23, 2024, 03:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DM83

Just finished watching  the replay three times. I was shocked to see on almost every defensive play Bighill was no where to be seen.  In the box he was certainly not a run stuffer. Most plays he was pushed around and was the last man to arrive at the pile

Anyone else notice it?  We now also need a middle linebacker.

ModAdmin

Isolating a player when virtually the entire team has been struggling is an exercise in futility.  Bighill has been recovering from an injury as well.

Give it a rest and see what the next few weeks bring.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on June 23, 2024, 03:59:17 AMAnyone else notice it?  We now also need a middle linebacker.

Biggie was making plays in week 1 & 2.  You didn't see him much in week 3 because VAJ is a gunslinger.  It's not Biggie's job to be 60Y downfield.

If you want to point out a guy who is never on the scene, why not talk about Alexander?  The only FS in the league who is never in the picture on a 60Y explosion.

Biggie is also very cap friendly.  He's probably the most affordable vet MLB in the league.

Out of everything wrong with our D, Biggie is literally the last thing to worry about.  If you see specific plays he's costing us bigtime, mark the Q & clock and post them here and we can all take a look.  It's often hard to see if a specific single player is botching things if you're not focusing on him.

Just my 2c.
Never go full Rider!

DM83

lol
If you are not focusing on him how can you defend him
Ok Mr. mod print up how many tackles was Biggie in on, and the number if knockdowns
When the opponent averages 6 yards a run, I would say  ain't no Lime backers around. But ok I am wrong.

Blue In BC

Quote from: DM83 on June 24, 2024, 01:15:36 AMlol
If you are not focusing on him how can you defend him
Ok Mr. mod print up how many tackles was Biggie in on, and the number if knockdowns
When the opponent averages 6 yards a run, I would say  ain't no Lime backers around. But ok I am wrong.

Hard to knock down a pass near the LOS when Adams is throwing 30 yards downfield.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

He's lost a step for sure, but done, no. There's a lot wrong with our defense, starting with our pass rush. Biggie brings much needed leadership to a young group that needs just that.

DM83

Are Bombers games televised? Does that Ford guy ever knock a pass down? How about our safety #37 how many plays does he make.

Well leadership might be needed for a DC has to create man to man. Every play with DBs, with ten yard cushions.Giving up five yard outs,  and for scouts who brought zero capable players to camp....yeah Bighill might be better than on the field.

We should start a poll when the first victory will be?

Sir Blue and Gold

I hate to agree with the negative nellies but if he's not done he's only a few feet from the finish line.

He's lost a few steps at this point and sometimes makes up for it with superior vision but it's not always possible.

Shouldn't have started in the Grey Cup last year and he hasn't been very effective this year.

Bighill in his prime dominated games. He literally took over for whole series. It was awesome. A premiere talent ( one of the best MLBs to wear blue and gold) that I am sure all Bombers fans are glad to have seen but father time is undefeated.

ModAdmin

It would be grossly unfair to to say AB04 is "done" as DM83 suggests.  The D has gone through, and continues to go through, more changes than usual this year with veterans moving on plus several injuries.  Those facts are going to impact the defence as a whole and Bighill in particular.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Pigskin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 23, 2024, 06:04:27 AMBiggie was making plays in week 1 & 2.  You didn't see him much in week 3 because VAJ is a gunslinger.  It's not Biggie's job to be 60Y downfield.

If you want to point out a guy who is never on the scene, why not talk about Alexander?  The only FS in the league who is never in the picture on a 60Y explosion.

Biggie is also very cap friendly.  He's probably the most affordable vet MLB in the league.

Out of everything wrong with our D, Biggie is literally the last thing to worry about.  If you see specific plays he's costing us bigtime, mark the Q & clock and post them here and we can all take a look.  It's often hard to see if a specific single player is botching things if you're not focusing on him.

Just my 2c.

He didn't play in week one.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: ModAdmin on June 24, 2024, 03:07:13 AMIt would be grossly unfair to to say AB04 is "done" as DM83 suggests.  The D has gone through, and continues to go through, more changes than usual this year with veterans moving on plus several injuries.  Those facts are going to impact the defence as a whole and Bighill in particular.

Kind of a rude way to describe it but I don't think it's far off the mark, unfortunately. The guy deserves a hero's send off and maybe a ring of honour spot someday but he's only going to get more banged up as the season goes on. He's not the same guy he was (this was pretty obvious last year, to my eye) so it's not so much the 0-3 start as it is being an almost 36 year old middle linebacker on a 65 yard wide field.

ModAdmin

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 24, 2024, 03:13:23 AMKind of a rude way to describe it but I don't think it's far off the mark, unfortunately. The guy deserves a hero's send off and maybe a ring of honour spot someday but he's only going to get more banged up as the season goes on. He's not the same guy he was (this was pretty obvious last year, to my eye) so it's not so much the 0-3 start as it is being an almost 36 year old middle linebacker on a 65 yard wide field.

Logic would suggest he is not at the same level he was with the Lions and his early time with the Bombers.  But words are important and DM83's description does not take into account some of the other factors too.  That was my point.

dd

I have been the biggest critic for the bombers not picking up Darnell Sankey when they had the chance and make the transition from old to young st mlb and do the same painful thing we did with Harris as we did with Brady, but the bombers didn't pull the trigger and we ve paid for it ever since. That said, looks like the brass has said we re going with him this season, slow and all, not much we can do but painfully watch. I think he still brings leadership but his play is no where near what it was or where it needs to be. It's sad when players hang on too long.

Blueforlife

Biggie will have ups and downs.  To suggest he is done is wrong and disrespectful imo.  Discussing his stats, longevity, speed, etc. Is fair game but let's not pile on a guy when his team is struggling, the defense has new faces, is injuried and we have new schemes.  Give it time.  Too early to suggest he is done imo.  I have seen some impact plays from him and was surprised at his speed the previous game to BC.  An aging vet at the tail end of a outstanding career.  Near the end of his career, yes.  Done, no imo.  Just like the crowd that was critical of Harris when he got hurt for us and came back and dominated, my guess is this thread will age poorly.  Mind you, I was extremely confident in Harris at the end of his career.  I'm moderately confident that Biggie can still be a star. 

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on June 24, 2024, 03:29:07 AMI have been the biggest critic for the bombers not picking up Darnell Sankey when they had the chance and make the transition from old to young st mlb and do the same painful thing we did with Harris as we did with Brady, but the bombers didn't pull the trigger and we ve paid for it ever since.

Sankey probably costs $50k more than Biggie (or more!).  Forget about SMS situation last year, this season we simply could not afford Sankey.  Biggie is the best cap-friendly vet MLB, and continuously takes pay cuts to help the team and extend his career.

If we wanted Sankey we would have had to sacrifice one of the huge O names... which one do you give up?

And once again, we're still doing pretty well against the run!  Ya, Stanback had a big average, but it was still way less than 10 and we weren't giving up explosion runs.  I still think our MLB/WILL are the least of our concerns.

Everyone better pray Biggie stays upright all season because if he doesn't it's not a Sankey we'll be fielding, it'll be a Gauthier or Hurl or something and then we'll be getting torched on deep passes and the run!
Never go full Rider!