We Are League Worst (officially)

Started by TecnoGenius, June 18, 2024, 08:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 03, 2024, 04:40:30 AMThe difference is, if they would have shed Zach's salary for Brown in the off-season, they potentially could have retained, Bailey, Grant, Jeffcoat, Clements and possibly Gray.  The team bit off more than they could chew with so many changes all at one time.

Woulda Coulda Shoulda.  Hindsight.  Yada.  Yes, it's a big consideration, and a worthy one to ponder.  But Dru hasn't lit anything up like he did when he was here in those relief games.

We know Zach can light things up.  Give him a proper OL and my guess is he'll be great again.  It's not like he's lost his arm strength like we've seen with other QBs.  I think the OL problems are ruining his headspace and that's the biggest problem right now.

I'm fine with Zach, the bird in the hand.
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 03, 2024, 08:44:43 AMI think the OL problems are ruining his headspace and that's the biggest problem right now.

I'm fine with Zach, the bird in the hand.

What's done is done. One was the future and one was now. We've been a win now team for a long time, perhaps too long. We will have to win with what we got.

I would agree with you because I feel his confidence is not what it was. He is NOT the kind of guy that can take a bunch of hits as we saw last game. When he dominated he always had a clean or near clean jersey.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

blueandgoldguy

Getting Kolankowski out of there and inserting the superior Eli at Centre would make a world of difference to the o-line, but O'shea is stubborn and overly loyal to inferior players who are not good enough or past their best-before date.  Played a big role in us losing the Grey Cup last year.

As for Zach, he has lost his elusiveness to extend plays.  Look back at his very first start against Calgary in 2019 and that TD pass late in the game.  Today's Zach would not be able to extend the play like that in a similar situation.  His mobility has regressed significantly.  This actually started to become a little noticeable in 2022, but now it is very obvious.  It's unlikely Zach does as well as Strevelor in the fourth quarter.

dd

Quote from: blueandgoldguy on July 03, 2024, 07:57:01 PMGetting Kolankowski out of there and inserting the superior Eli at Centre would make a world of difference to the o-line, but O'shea is stubborn and overly loyal to inferior players who are not good enough or past their best-before date.  Played a big role in us losing the Grey Cup last year.

As for Zach, he has lost his elusiveness to extend plays.  Look back at his very first start against Calgary in 2019 and that TD pass late in the game.  Today's Zach would not be able to extend the play like that in a similar situation.  His mobility has regressed significantly.  This actually started to become a little noticeable in 2022, but now it is very obvious.  It's unlikely Zach does as well as Strevelor in the fourth quarter.
Agree on getting kowlankowski out and putting Eli in seems logical we have ratio room,nope won't do it

Pete

looks like elks have signed Oakman (according to Naylor), Hamilton picked up Deionte Knight from argo practice roster and we continue to bring back players that couldn't make our opening day roster.
 It is frustrating to see this team's attitude of doing whatever it takes to keep the culture going vs doing whatever it takes to improve to win. We refuse to act on poor performances by vets such as ALexander, Thomas, and to a lesser extent Kolankowski and Kramdl.
Mtrl got to where its at by continually trying to improve. getting Sankey and Lemon last year, moving on from Stanbeck, bringing in Titus wall, while we hear the familiar refrain of everyone in this lockerroom is capable of being a starter.

Blueforlife

Quote from: blueandgoldguy on July 03, 2024, 07:57:01 PMGetting Kolankowski out of there and inserting the superior Eli at Centre would make a world of difference to the o-line, but O'shea is stubborn and overly loyal to inferior players who are not good enough or past their best-before date.  Played a big role in us losing the Grey Cup last year.

Eli has hip injury and practiced one day this week.  Hard pass.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on July 03, 2024, 08:26:52 PMAgree on getting kowlankowski out and putting Eli in seems logical we have ratio room,nope won't do it

We've seen Eli start @C in a few garbage-time games, and do in-game injury spelling.  He got trucked a whole lot and was whiffing on the A-gaps.  The whiffing he might be able to solve, but not the trucking.

Eli looks very small out there.  Like Lofton, and maybe Dobson, he feels undersized.

If Ko-man continues to screw up, I guess you could give Eli a try for 3-4 weeks so he can gel with the main unit.  But don't be surprised if he's a bust too.  If he was miles away better MOS would be starting him already.

I still think the best hope is an IMP, or we have to wait for FA to $ign a big FA C $$.  If it was my team I'd be trying to stack as many IMP on the OL as possible, and doing better OL scouting (as they failed us on RT scouting for 5+ years).  We have the ratio flexibility to go 4 IMP OL... and they are also cheaper, to boot.
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Kolankowski was part of the best OL in the CFL just last year. Losing Gray and Yoshi has proven to be a tough problem. Thankfully we still have Stan and Paddy to build off of and I believe this club will keep working on this until they resolve it. Once they do, look out! Zach with a clean pocket to throw from will see him shred secondaries again.
Go Bombers!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: J5V on July 04, 2024, 12:19:03 AMKolankowski was part of the best OL in the CFL just last year. Losing Gray and Yoshi has proven to be a tough problem. Thankfully we still have Stan and Paddy to build off of and I believe this club will keep working on this until they resolve it. Once they do, look out! Zach with a clean pocket to throw from will see him shred secondaries again.

According to a few armchair QB's Neufeld is all of a sudden washed up, which I find rather hard to believe. I think he is less settled as he has to keep one eye on Kona and one on his new RG Lofton.  Overall I think the O-line has suffered a downgrade, Lofton is not as effective as an aging Yoshi was, and Dobson is a major downgrade from Gray in both run blocking and pass protection, which doesn't help Kona focus on his job when he's already playing on the edge of his abilities.  I think the main skill that keeps him in place is his ball snapping ability is pretty good compared to the others.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on July 04, 2024, 12:19:03 AMKolankowski was part of the best OL in the CFL just last year. Losing Gray and Yoshi has proven to be a tough problem.

I think our OL was already on the decline in 2023.  I'm not sure I would have called it "best OL".  Compare the pressure we allowed in 2023 GC vs what MTL OL allowed.  Ya, that was a better OL by far.  And TOR's.  And probably BC's... and... and...

Things started to get worse when we lost Couture & Desjar.  The line with them in was the best we ever had, followed closely by the last year of Goosen.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 04, 2024, 01:07:05 AMwhich doesn't help Kona focus on his job when he's already playing on the edge of his abilities.  I think the main skill that keeps him in place is his ball snapping ability is pretty good compared to the others.

Ko-man almost never botches a snap, for sure.  And I bet he's great at the coverage calling pre-snap.  He has many strong points.  But he gets pushed around and has trouble with stunts.  So a real mixed bag.  And I'm not sure he can improve from here... and what he's doing clearly isn't good enough.

Now, it could be Ko-man looks worse than he is because he has poor LG support, or like you guys said he has poor LG & RG support because Neuf is covering for Lofton...

But I can't remember the last time I was blaming the C for so many whiffs!  We take for granted the C is solid.  We weren't having such discussions when C was Couture or Goosen!  Who was before The Goose again?  Ya, not sure we ever blamed him either.

I leave it to the highbrains @WFC to decide if Ko-man is weak or he just looks weak because of poor LG support.  Either way someone needs to up their game or be replaced.

I also think Dobson, Eli & Lofton need to pack on 10-30 more pounds.  They are too small, often appearing outsized and out-muscled by DTs!!  They are the ones who are supposed to be pushing people around!
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 04, 2024, 02:22:07 AMKo-man almost never botches a snap, for sure.  And I bet he's great at the coverage calling pre-snap.  He has many strong points.  But he gets pushed around and has trouble with stunts.  So a real mixed bag.  And I'm not sure he can improve from here... and what he's doing clearly isn't good enough.

Now, it could be Ko-man looks worse than he is because he has poor LG support, or like you guys said he has poor LG & RG support because Neuf is covering for Lofton...

But I can't remember the last time I was blaming the C for so many whiffs!  We take for granted the C is solid.  We weren't having such discussions when C was Couture or Goosen!  Who was before The Goose again?  Ya, not sure we ever blamed him either.

I leave it to the highbrains @WFC to decide if Ko-man is weak or he just looks weak because of poor LG support.  Either way someone needs to up their game or be replaced.

I also think Dobson, Eli & Lofton need to pack on 10-30 more pounds.  They are too small, often appearing outsized and out-muscled by DTs!!  They are the ones who are supposed to be pushing people around!

Don't know about the other 2 but Eli has dropped substantial weight since coming back to the Bombers the second time, probably due to better fitness.  When he first showed up his belly was hanging over his belt.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 04, 2024, 06:01:59 AMDon't know about the other 2 but Eli has dropped substantial weight since coming back to the Bombers the second time, probably due to better fitness.  When he first showed up his belly was hanging over his belt.

For a hoggie muffin-top is a good thing!  You need the beef on jumbo.  Speed at the expense of weight isn't necessarily going to make you a better hoggie.  If you're regularly getting trucked and/or manhandled, something is wrong.
Never go full Rider!

blueandgoldguy

Quote from: J5V on July 04, 2024, 12:19:03 AMKolankowski was part of the best OL in the CFL just last year. Losing Gray and Yoshi has proven to be a tough problem. Thankfully we still have Stan and Paddy to build off of and I believe this club will keep working on this until they resolve it. Once they do, look out! Zach with a clean pocket to throw from will see him shred secondaries again.

The o-line was good in spite of Kolankowski.  Eli was superior when he played. 

Lofton wasn't good enough on a weak Saskatchewan team so he shouldn't be anything more than an emergency backup here.  Just terrible decision-making by O'Shea over the past few years to let it get to this point.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blueandgoldguy on July 05, 2024, 03:29:57 AMThe o-line was good in spite of KolankowskiEli was superior when he played

I'm starting to agree with you no Ko-man.  But as for Eli, I'll believe it when I see it.  Tell me one game he started or injury-replaced from '23 where he was better, and I'll go watch it and get back to you.  Not saying he can't be better: just saying I haven't seen it yet.

Quote from: blueandgoldguy on July 05, 2024, 03:29:57 AMLofton wasn't good enough on a weak Saskatchewan team so he shouldn't be anything more than an emergency backup here.  Just terrible decision-making by O'Shea over the past few years to let it get to this point.

You mean KW.  MOS doesn't have as much to do with player choices and SMS juggling.  I'm sure he has some (lots of) input, but the final choice is by KW (or in the case of Brady: WM).
Never go full Rider!