We're An O Focused Team - so act like it!

Started by TecnoGenius, June 16, 2024, 06:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Is it safe to say we're now designed as a mostly-O focused team since 2023?

Basically when we brought Kenny back in 2023 at league-top-WR-salary, and gave Demski a massive bump, and Zach a big bump, and paid up to retain Woli and Bailey, we decided the WFC path was going to be O-focused.

And we doubled down in 2024 with the massive contracts to keep Schoen and Brady.  The only skill guy we let walk on O was Bailey, and that was only deemed ok because he was just plain good, not superstar good.

Add to the above skill positions the fact that we also put a lot of money into our OL, even with the much-weakened 2024 lineup.  We may not be spending what we did in 2023, but we're probably still spending more than league average.

My point is this: We clearly planned around out-scoring opponents to win games.  And I don't mean getting 22 when they get 21: I mean putting up between 35 and 45 points consistently every game.  And it didn't seem too much to ask, because we've pretty much been doing that for at least 2 seasons straight.  With all the talent retention, we were banking on that lopsided O production.

And then it wouldn't matter if our D was much weaker than previous years, or that or DL was suddenly below league average, or our DBs had tons of rookies and sophomores.  I truly believe this was all discussed by The Canadian Mafia, and it was all planned this way as a conscious choice to make the best use of our SMS constraints and already-here talent base.  (Ask yourself, when's the last time we bagged a huge D name in FA?  Willie in 2019?  Holy smokes!)

Given all of the above, the only way we're going to consistently win games is if our O does what it's designed to do: put up the huge numbers.  And if our O isn't doing this, I posit that we should ignore the D personnel problems and use all available resources to fix what ails the O.  And nothing should be off the table.

If the weakened OL isn't going to get up to snuff pronto, try the backups; if they can't do it, try a couch sitter; if they can't do it try 3 IMP OL.  Even if we want to stick with 2 IMP OL, why not just try 3 for one game so we can see how much of the overall problem is OL vs skill positions?

If the rookie WRs aren't getting the job done or are turtling, bench them.  There's always FA couch sitters milling around this time of year.  Give one a call.  I don't care if it's an older guy.  Some experience might help get some completions.  Heck, if no one is out there, make a trade.

And can Kenny play with a cast like D players do?  If this is even remotely "a thing", get him out there and give him gut and over-the-shoulder passes.  If our O is designed around Kenny taking $300k, then we can't sit there waiting for 8+ weeks thinking rookies can do what Kenny does.  We need a solution now!

Through week 2 the only skill guy I've seen with any fire and heart was Woli.  He's fired up.  He's making almost every play coming his way.  And he's our 5th read NAT!  Not acceptable in an O-must-score team.  Where's the fire from the other guys?  If they want to mope, maybe they should be cut too.

Years ago, in an interview, Dave Dickenson said something I didn't understand at the time.  But it prophetically describes our situation now.  He said "We're built around having very strong QB play, and we don't have that right now".  It was around the time Bo Levi Mitchell was starting to have major trouble.  And so Calgary was rapidly falling from the #1 West team to #3.  He knew precisely what the team problem was because he designed it in a certain way, and he knew that when it didn't work to design that they were going to be in deep trouble.

That's the Bombers right now.  We're designed a certain way with certain assumptions, and it's not working.  We can't just say "let's fix the D a bit" because that won't help: we stopped being a D-focused team in 2022 -- or earlier!  Nope, we must fix the O, and expend the whole wad doing so.  Any help we get on D will just be gravy.

So let's figure out the O problems, let's focus everything on that, let's bring in any talent it requires, and let's start scoring 40 every game.  If we fail to do that, we risk going the way of the Stamps after 2019...
Never go full Rider!

DM83

It's not how ya start it's how ya finish.  If that's true we should win the cup

dd

We should focus on being a Time of possession team. If you honestly think this team can consistently score 40 points a game you're in worse shape than I thought. We are lucky to score 25 points so grind it out and prey on turnovers as our special teams ain't scoring any punt or kick return TDs our D might score the odd one but I wouldn't count on it

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on June 16, 2024, 07:50:39 PMIt's not how ya start it's how ya finish.  If that's true we should win the cup

Well, that's the best bright side of all these early injuries: all these guys will be coming back mid/late season.  Just in time to get warmed up for the post-season.

It'd be great if injuries work by allotment, and we've used all ours up  ;D  ;D  ;D
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on June 17, 2024, 02:18:20 AMWe should focus on being a Time of possession team.

I agree, and that's been our M.O. or semi-M.O. for several seasons now.

Quote from: dd on June 17, 2024, 02:18:20 AMIf you honestly think this team can consistently score 40 points a game you're in worse shape than I thought. We are lucky to score 25 points so grind it out and prey on turnovers as our special teams ain't scoring any punt or kick return TDs our D might score the odd one but I wouldn't count on it

Look at our QB, RB, WRs, SBs on a depth chart.  For conversation's sake assume Kenny is in.  Just stare at that.  I stare at every chart every week.  Our QB/RB/WR/SB corps is far and away the best in the league, both by cost, talent, ability, aggregate stats -- whatever, we are miles away the best that every team would trade for tomorrow.

And look what basically that same group put up on average in the last 2 seasons.  I'm pretty sure we were #1 or close to it in points per game.

So ya, I "honestly think this team can consistently score 40 points a game"!  In fact, I expect it, and more!  As per my original point, we've deliberately designed it this way.

If we can't achieve it because the #5 rookie WR sucks, then replace him.  If we can't achieve it because the OL has weak links, then replace them.  Do what you want with the D, it won't matter if our O can't do what was planned for them.  And everyone needs to do whatever is required to make SMS room to sign what we need.  (And/or go over the cap.)
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Injuries and players not signed have played a significant factor in the 2 losses.

Consider...

Unsigned...

Walker
Jeffcoat
Bailey
Gray
Grant
Hardrick
Houston

Injured...

Oliviera (1 game)
Lawler (6 game)
N. Hallett (6 game)
Garbutt (6 game)
J. Kelly (6 game)
Haba (6 game)
Lawson (6 game)
Parker (6 game)

This has to have had a major impact on effectiveness and performance of the team early in the season.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on June 17, 2024, 06:40:39 AMInjuries and players not signed have played a significant factor in the 2 losses.

Consider...

Unsigned...

Walker
Jeffcoat
Bailey
Gray
Grant
Hardrick
Houston

Injured...

Oliviera (1 game)
Lawler (6 game)

N. Hallett (6 game)
Garbutt (6 game)
J. Kelly (6 game)
Haba (6 game)
Lawson (6 game)
Parker (6 game)

Exclude the injured for a moment.  The losses on skill O is just... Bailey.  Bailey was good, but surely replaceable (in terms of talent, maybe not heart).  If his replacement can't get it done and that's costing us our powerhouse O, then go get a vet.

As for injuries: for at least half the game of week 1 we were at full planned O strength.  They should have gotten business done.  If we are again at full strength in a few weeks, I would expect they get business done.

And if they can't get business done, then we need to look at the OL, as the only other changed piece, to realize our league-top-O plans.

I'm not so much looking back here as looking forward.  Assume our skill O at full strength, what's holding them back still?  Anything?  Fix it.
Never go full Rider!

bluengold204

I agree we are built to be stronger on O, however I don't think all the blame is to be on the new guys.  Our highly priced players are not playing at a level as they were previous years, unless if they start pulling their weight expect the same results. 

markf

quotation from Ed Tait article.

"We've got to figure out a way to start faster,"  (Collaros)

This is not a new problem.

Lincoln Locomotive

Also....I'm trying to remember the last time Collaros lit it up....he's not playing like a MOP at the moment.    Too many untimely picks especially when the team is in scoring position.   Zach has been saying all the right things but it has not reflected in his play.    He was out-performed by his former back up last game who threw 0 picks!   Zach threw 2....and his passing completion percentage was hovering around 50% which is just unacceptable.  For our O to work he needs to figure it out pretty quick or we will be 0-3 this time next week.   O-line also has to be better at run blocking.
Bomber fan for life

Pigskin

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on June 17, 2024, 05:44:15 PMAlso....I'm trying to remember the last time Collaros lit it up....he's not playing like a MOP at the moment.    Too many untimely picks especially when the team is in scoring position.   Zach has been saying all the right things but it has not reflected in his play.    He was out-performed by his former back up last game who threw 0 picks!   Zach threw 2....and his passing completion percentage was hovering around 50% which is just unacceptable.  For our O to work he needs to figure it out pretty quick or we will be 0-3 this time next week.   O-line also has to be better at run blocking.

We actually have to run the ball, so our OL can get better at run blocking. JA27 with 7 carries in Ottawa.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

VictorRomano

Quote from: Pigskin on June 17, 2024, 06:31:16 PMWe actually have to run the ball, so our OL can get better at run blocking. JA27 with 7 carries in Ottawa.

100% THIS.

How little confidence do you have in JA27 and the OL that he never touches the ball on first and goal from the 7 with a minute left to play?  If Brady was playing, every play in the last minute would have been a rush to the A/B gap.

LXTSN

I think it's safe to say that play-calling has been the issue, more than anything else on offence. There's no reason Buck should be rusty at this point. Coaches should be itching to get back into it. Normally coaches will fall into a lull mid to later in the season.
He's made this offence very difficult to watch in these first 2 games.

dd

BO and KL are not in our lineup and Collaros is 0-3 TD/int , this is not going to get us 40 points. We have to call a game plan that reflects our current talent level and struggling Qb. Run the ball more for Pete sake, get the O line and offence some confidence. JA can run the ball, give him a chance. 7 carries last game was ridiculous

Pigskin

Quote from: LXTSN on June 17, 2024, 06:43:45 PMI think it's safe to say that play-calling has been the issue, more than anything else on offence. There's no reason Buck should be rusty at this point. Coaches should be itching to get back into it. Normally coaches will fall into a lull mid to later in the season.
He's made this offence very difficult to watch in these first 2 games.

Buck also has to figure out how to us Strev17. He can be a excellent weapon for this team.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.