What's your opinion of the club

Started by Blueforlife, June 15, 2024, 08:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trying to gauge the temperature of the room

Full blown panic, blown things up and rebuild
1 (2.7%)
Seriously worried, make some major changes and bring some vets in
12 (32.4%)
Moderate concern, tweek the lineup and develop / look for new talent in key areas
16 (43.2%)
Limited concern but short to medium term injuries will hurt us
6 (16.2%)
Not worried, I trust the players, coaches and management we have, use PR to deal with injuries
2 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Blueforlife

Curious, I can tweak categories if folks don't like em or I can also add new

Blue In BC

Injuries hurt every team. Ours just happen to be happening at the beginning of the season. We don't really know when or if they will play again this season. Rookie replacements are a TBD situation unfortunately.

Five starters now on 6 game IR. Oliveria on 1 game IR and may or may not be back this week.

Couldn't have seen that coming.

It's a long season, so it's too early to assess. Keep in mind that the Lions lost their 1st 7 games in 2011 and beat us in the Grey Cup.

While that doesn't happen often, it shows things can change. Just make the playoffs.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

bomb squad

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 15, 2024, 09:26:39 PMInjuries hurt every team. Ours just happen to be happening at the beginning of the season. We don't really know when or if they will play again this season. Rookie replacements are a TBD situation unfortunately.

Five starters now on 6 game IR. Oliveria on 1 game IR and may or may not be back this week.

Couldn't have seen that coming.

It's a long season, so it's too early to assess. Keep in mind that the Lions lost their 1st 7 games in 2011 and beat us in the Grey Cup.

While that doesn't happen often, it shows things can change. Just make the playoffs.

1st 5

bomb squad

Your poll is combining 2 questions/issues into one. How people feel about the team and what they think the team should do. It forces people to choose a category that they may only partly agree with. Separate and simplify your polls is my suggestion. 

Blueforlife

Quote from: bomb squad on June 15, 2024, 10:03:51 PMYour poll is combining 2 questions/issues into one. How people feel about the team and what they think the team should do. It forces people to choose a category that they may only partly agree with. Separate and simplify your polls is my suggestion. 
Never thought of that but I'll leave it as is and a number have already voted.  Good point, people can pick which suits them best of post their view or vote in the thread.  I'll think about that for next time.  The art of the poll!

TecnoGenius

Not a complete panic.  We can still win games if we adjust properly.  We need to bring in some castoff gems and/or vet talent.  It worked great in 2019 with Maston, Nick Taylor, etc.  Why can't we do that again?  Arguably that's how MTL won the '23 GC: clearly it works.

Going down the string to 2nd, then 3rd, then 4th stringers is not going to help us win.  There's a reason we cut these guys after TC.  They were our 4th choices then, why should they be our starters now?  Doesn't mean we can't have dev players and rookies, but we shouldn't bet the season on them as starters!
Never go full Rider!

Blueforlife

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 16, 2024, 12:52:25 AMNot a complete panic.  We can still win games if we adjust properly.  We need to bring in some castoff gems and/or vet talent.  It worked great in 2019 with Maston, Nick Taylor, etc.  Why can't we do that again?  Arguably that's how MTL won the '23 GC: clearly it works.

Going down the string to 2nd, then 3rd, then 4th stringers is not going to help us win.  There's a reason we cut these guys after TC.  They were our 4th choices then, why should they be our starters now?  Doesn't mean we can't have dev players and rookies, but we shouldn't bet the season on them as starters!
Next man up has also worked well for us for a long time

ModAdmin

Quote from: Blueforlife on June 16, 2024, 03:56:40 AMNext man up has also worked well for us for a long time

The difference this year is that we have had a number of key players move on and we had encountered a number of injuries to other key (currently playing) players.  The "next man up" doesn't work that well with numerous player changes.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blueforlife

Quote from: ModAdmin on June 16, 2024, 04:48:37 AMThe difference this year is that we have had a number of key players move on and we had encountered a number of injuries to other key (currently playing) players.  The "next man up" doesn't work that well with numerous player changes.
Likely right but too early to know for sure.  A combo of a few fresh faces and next man up will fix our wagon imo.

ModAdmin

Quote from: Blueforlife on June 16, 2024, 04:50:58 AMLikely right but too early to know for sure.  A combo or a few fresh faces and next man up will fix our wagon imo.

I think that is unrealistic.  Our wagon won't likely be completely fixed until several of the injured players return to the lineup.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blueforlife

Quote from: ModAdmin on June 16, 2024, 04:56:27 AMI think that is unrealistic.  Our wagon won't likely be completely fixed until several of the injured players return to the lineup.
My initial point was to illustrate that next man up is an alternative to bringing in castoff gems and vets.  It's more realistic based on the past approach by this organization. Both scenarios rely on injured players returning to the lineup. That's a given.  We have time for that to occur as the season is young.

ModAdmin

Quote from: Blueforlife on June 16, 2024, 05:02:29 AMMy initial point was to illustrate that next man up is an alternative to bringing in castoff gems and vets.  It's more realistic based on the past approach by this organization. Both scenarios rely on injured players returning to the lineup. That's a given.  We have time for that to occur as the season is young.

Your statement was "A combo or a few fresh faces and next man up will fix our wagon imo."  That statement is unrealistic no matter how you attempt to explain it after the fact.  New faces and players on the PR are not going to bring us where we need to be.  It's people like Lawler, Oliviera, Haba, Fox, Lawson, Parker etc. that will bring us to where we need to be once they are ready to return.

Road Griller

By the end of 2019 nobody could beat us.  We were better at every position than our opponent.

2021 the same could be said, the odd team had a player or two that was equal or slightly better but not many.

2022 Pretty much the same.

2023 cracks appeared and teams caught up.  It happened so fast, how did it happen?

2024 our depth chart looks weak compared to our opponents. 

Injuries happen, but even with our best 24 available on both sides of the ball where do we stack up?  I feel other teams took our blueprint for success and we went away from it for some reason.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on June 16, 2024, 04:48:37 AMThe difference this year is that we have had a number of key players move on and we had encountered a number of injuries to other key (currently playing) players.  The "next man up" doesn't work that well with numerous player changes.

Right.  The next man up would work.  But we're now on the next-next-man up, and in some cases the next-next-next-man up.  The 4th stringer TC fodder are not how you build a win-now team.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Road Griller on June 16, 2024, 06:12:11 AM2024 our depth chart looks weak compared to our opponents. 

Only on D.  On O our depth chart is miles above every other one in the league, especially if you go by TSN top-50-player rankings (or any other method, IMHO).

However, Kenny being out may turn us into a more mid-level O.

Yes, I'm not forgetting the woes on the OL... I think they'll find solutions there soon.
Never go full Rider!