Blue Bombers Transactions - June 15, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, June 15, 2024, 03:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers Transactions - June 15, 2024

WINNIPEG, MB., June 15, 2024 – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the following transactions:

Added to practice roster:

American running back/returner Chris Smith (5-9, 194, Louisiana-Lafayette)
American defensive lineman Ali Fayad (6-2, 250, Western Michigan)

Transferred to six-game injured list:

American defensive lineman Celestin Haba
American defensive lineman Miles Fox
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

towelie

Happy to see Smith re-added. Gotta do something with the return game. Can also see snaps at rb.

Blue In BC

I guess the injury to Fox was more substantial than I thought. Didn't see what happened but clearly he's no longer available for the moment.

Fayad and Woods could well be added for the next game AR. Smith might bump Wilson to PR as well? So yes, we're going to see some late cuts added to our PR and then to our AR as replacements. Makes sense.

That's a long list of talent on our 6 game IR.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Smith was nicked, no?  Is he ready to be activated?  He had that great return, sure, right after the embarrassing one over his head.

Wilson has not impressed with his opportunity, Wheatfall has.  Is Clercius a big downgrade from Wilson?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blueforlife

What's the story on Woods and Fayad? How did they look preseason?

Jesse

Smith was the one returner who looked good in the pre-season. I hope he gets his opportunity.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on June 15, 2024, 05:14:16 PMSmith was nicked, no?  Is he ready to be activated?  He had that great return, sure, right after the embarrassing one over his head.

Wilson has not impressed with his opportunity, Wheatfall has.  Is Clercius a big downgrade from Wilson?

He was nicked but he must be close since he was added to PR. OTOH, other injuries have depleted spots on the PR, so he could still not be 100%. Next game is a longer week at home, so we'll see if he's practising soon enough.

Clercius is a different type of player to Wilson. He's 40 lbs heavier while Wilson has a better college history IMO.

Hard to determine" better " in 2 games where neither have had many opportunities. Wilson like Bailey before him will more often be a 4th or 5th read.

I bigger question might be is Johnson better than Wilson.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

jdrattops

What's happened to Ricky Walker?  Left Calgary for whatever reason, and if he still wants to play he could come cheaper than before.  Does Jeffcoat want to play?  There's room for some salary with all the 6 games, no?

Pete

pretty much par for the course, we bring back players who couldn't make roster rather than look at cfl ready players that are out there. ie. Oakman, Mason Bennet, Worthy.
I do like woods though; he and fox are pretty close to the same talent. I think they had high hopes for Fayad at the beginning of camp. not sure if he got nicked up or what

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on June 15, 2024, 09:13:26 PMpretty much par for the course, we bring back players who couldn't make roster rather than look at cfl ready players that are out there. ie. Oakman, Mason Bennet, Worthy.
I do like woods though; he and fox are pretty close to the same talent. I think they had high hopes for Fayad at the beginning of camp. not sure if he got nicked up or what

The roster can't include every player we bring to TC. We can't evaluate some players we released due to maximum size of PR.

Our PR in 2023 included Haba and Fox that became starters. Now it's next man up from the PR. Others released earlier were added to the PR and may be starters by Friday.

Now whether the vets you mentioned are better, interested, affordable and healthy are all questions.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

gobombersgo

Quote from: jdrattops on June 15, 2024, 08:40:49 PMWhat's happened to Ricky Walker?  Left Calgary for whatever reason, and if he still wants to play he could come cheaper than before.  Does Jeffcoat want to play?  There's room for some salary with all the 6 games, no?

Walker agreed to contract terms with the Stamps during the negotiation window but decided not to sign.

https://3downnation.com/2024/02/13/change-of-heart-dl-ricky-walker-not-signing-with-calgary-stampeders-as-he-mulls-future/

Pete

With all the injuries, its forcing us to give new players a chance, something O'Shea hasn't been prone to do.
If we can keep our heads above water it should help us even when we get some players back off the 6 game.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: gobombersgo on June 15, 2024, 10:17:43 PMWalker agreed to contract terms with the Stamps during the negotiation window but decided not to sign.

Weird situation.  So if he never signed a contract and no one holds his rights then that would mean he's free to shop around.  If we can find the SMS, maybe he's an option, depending what his story is.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blueforlife on June 15, 2024, 05:54:47 PMWhat's the story on Woods and Fayad? How did they look preseason?

Didn't notice either in the PS.  At all.  But that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on June 15, 2024, 05:14:16 PMSmith was nicked, no?  Is he ready to be activated?  He had that great return, sure, right after the embarrassing one over his head.

The word on the forum is Smith was nicked, but I never saw any proof of that, or anything officially announced.  It just became the "truth".

Regardless, if we signed him that means we're eyeing putting a lid on the Mitchell experiment... OR Brady will be out longer??
Never go full Rider!